Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RageBlanket...Powerlifter Wannabe Journal

The meet I'm shooting for is 8/25.

Currently, I'm 36, and have been doing sport specific training for about 20 years; I played football through arena, then a little semipro here in Colorado before breaking my neck. I had a 2 level fusion done right at 2 years ago and proceeded to stop lifting and get fucking FAT. Like 325 fat.

Now, I'm fully healed, have been back in the gym consistently for about 16 months, and have the itch to compete in something...wife said no to "just 1 more season".

So, here I wander, into the wholly unfamiliar territory that is powerlifting. I'm posting this journal in hopes of getting tips and guidance from the pool of very successful competitors here, and I'm sure some shit as well.

Right now, I'm about 6'2", 270# before a refeed, and I'm woefully weak for a man my size. I'm working with Skip on diet and have lost 40# since February, all while gaining strength. I plan to follow the 5/3/1 straight into the meet.

The training weights I'm using are as follows-
    Shoulder Press-225
    Bench-395
    Squat-450
    Deadlift-550

Deficient in squats, I know. I'm trying to learn how to widen my stance and spread the floor, but it's a process.

Also learning how to bench PL style (bar low on chest, elbows in, etc), as I'm used to conventional incline. Haven't flat benched in YEARS.

ALL THAT SAID...

Today I did cardio-25min elliptical, 25 min treadmill, 15 min bike all at >140bpm HR.
    You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

To add-I will compete raw. Hell, I don't think I've ever even owned a belt...but I'll pick that and wrist wraps up as a precautionary measure.

Comment

Originally posted by RageBlanket View Post
      Right now, I'm about 6'2", 270# before a refeed, and I'm woefully weak for a man my size...
      Shoulder Press-225
      Bench-395
      Squat-450
      Deadlift-550
      The above in bold is incorrect, and I have proven this with judicious usage of red.
      Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
      kind of a douche

Comment

I was expecting much, *much* lower weights. Even if you did pick on me for my low center of gravity I can't troll you!

And good luck
        #docswholift
        PGY-1 FM
        "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
          The above in bold is incorrect, and I have proven this with judicious usage of red.
          I appreciate that; I should say weak for what I've seen on IM. Yourself, Bellon, DCBeliever...crazy strong, and I hope to be close to the same class someday.

Comment

Originally posted by nexa View Post
            I was expecting much, *much* lower weights. Even if you did pick on me for my low center of gravity I can't troll you!

And good luck
            Even on the intertrons I come off as a pussy!

Thanks, looks like we're prepping together.

Comment

I'm woefully weak for a man my size.

Shoulder Press-225
              Bench-395
              Squat-450
              Deadlift-550
              Yeah... what are you talking about, weak?

Very solid pressing numbers - wish I could press those weights.

Squat and deadlift are strong too, and I'm sure those will continue to shoot up.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
              2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
              2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
              2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
              2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

Really weak.

Comment

Originally posted by moco View Post
                  Yeah... what are you talking about, weak?

Very solid pressing numbers - wish I could press those weights.

Squat and deadlift are strong too, and I'm sure those will continue to shoot up.
                  Thanks, man. Squat is the number that bugs me the most-I'm simply not very good at squatting yet. I'm fairly certain I get deep enough, I just have trouble finding that "groove".

I've also been watching videos from Dave Tate on benching; I'm having to re-learn the whole technique but I like the way his technique feels. Much more natural to me.

Comment

Originally posted by -AJA14- View Post
                    Really weak.
                    My wife is an MB 10. Deal with it.

You see Marvin Sanders is at USC??

Comment

Are those 1RM's? You mentioned something like "the weights I'm training with..." which seems kind of ambiguous.

Even 1RM they are ok. You have to move the bar a long way at 6'2"...
                      PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

My wife is an MB 10. Deal with it.

You see Marvin Sanders is at USC??
                        Rules

Yes, sc coeds better watch out. But a hell of a coach.
                        Last edited by -AJA14-; 05-08-2012, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RedSkull View Post
                          Are those 1RM's? You mentioned something like "the weights I'm training with..." which seems kind of ambiguous.

Even 1RM they are ok. You have to move the bar a long way at 6'2"...
                          Yes, sorry those are 1RM.

Comment

Who has the time/ability to resize an avatar picture for me? I'm at work and don't have ANY editing tools. Send me a PM and I'll email the pic. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for the avatar!

278 today...epic Skipload on Sunday so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

AM fasted cardio-elliptical 30 min @ >145 hr.

PM-OHP

135x5
                              155x5
                              175x10

BW DIPS
                              BWx12/12/12/8
                              Straight up ran out of gas on the last set.

FIXED BARBELL CURLS
                              80x15
                              90x12
                              100x10

BW PULLUPS
                              BWx6/6/5
                              I really suck at these...I'm working my ass off to improve.

I'm not much of accessory lift guy, clearly. Not sure if that's detrimental or not.

Overall a decent day, pretty happy with the OHP; no leg drive at all. Deads tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X