Caramon's Old Guy 5x5 Training Log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caramon's Old Guy 5x5 Training Log

Hey guys old guy here Back in the gym after a long long long long time (in reality, about 20 ish years). I don't really know much, just about what I did way back in the day. After all the reading I have done, I realize I didn't know much back then. I am 278 as of this morning. I have been doing cardio the last few weeks, and started a little lifting last week to see what I can do, and set some baselines for the 5x5. Here is what I did today to start.

Day 1
    Squats [email protected]
    Bench Press - [email protected] 135, 150, 160, 170, 180
    Bent barbell rows - [email protected] 115, 125, 130, 140, 150

20 min on the elliptical.

I know my numbers are pretty low, but I am hoping after the 9 weeks they will go up substantially. After the 9 weeks, I like the idea of taking a break (like the cruise in DC...yes I have read up on that, and its intriguing lol), for 2 weeks, then restart the 5x5 with hopefully increased numbers.

I am working on getting my nutrition in check. After years of sitting on my ass and eating crap, its time to get shit fixed! I have protein and some supplements (vit C, D3, B12, CalciumMagnesium, and I had some Chondritin, but out.

Anyhow, I have been reading up on some stuff, and getting confused about some things. I want to lose fat, and at least get some muscle, but there are so many different ways people on this site are "dieting" that its just a jumble to me. Any help would be appreciated. I know that as I go I am going to have questions about preworkout, postworkout shakes/eating. So I hope everyone bears with me.

Thanks and HI!

Hey bro,
    Where you are at I wouldn't worry about any set 5X5 program or ANY "program". Just train 3-4 days a week, train all major muscles during the week, keep post warm up sets in the 10-15 range per workout....and bust your ass!! Don't know what your age is buy for now I would probably keep the reps at least in the 8+ range... If after 3-6 months of consistent workouts your joints feel good then try going lower if you want. I would also spend a good 3-6 months weight training before you worry about wt loss. You will put muscle on being back in the gym... Get that muscle and dropping fat will be easier. I ain't saying to eat whatever you want but just don't let yourself gain wt...if you lose a cpl pound then great but if you are average in size and genetics with healthy hormone levels I would be surprised if you can't gain 10-15 lbs of muscle pretty quick. That muscle will burn cals and make fat loss easier

Best of luck to ya, its a fresh start so just keep it simple and work hard.
    Peace
    Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
    Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
    Nicki Minaj

Comment

Welcome, and congrats on getting back into the iron game. I too was in a position like you are in, only a few years ago. I was very active in the bb'ing lifestyle in my mid 20's to almost mid 30's, when a couple back injuries and life got in the way. I started my comeback in maybe about Feb of 2009, and hired Skip that April. I've never looked back. It has been life changing for me, and I hope you find it the same for you.....

As far as training is concerned, 5x5 is a great routine for trying to get your strength up, especially for beginners, or guys just getting back in the gym after a long layoff, like yourself. A good solid program can take the guesswork out of training, so you don't spin your wheels with foofoo exercises that you don't really need to be doing. It gives you a plan of attack, so to speak...You can also adapt 5x5 to your needs, say if squatting twice a week is too much for you, just eliminate a day of squats....Tons of journals in here with guys using 5x5. I've used it in the past with very good success....Just get your diet right, do your cardio, and hit the weights, and you will be well on your way to your fitness goals....

Good luck!
      STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Thanks for the input thedunhill and steel...I am going to stick with the 5x5. Only for the reason that I think I will do better on a planned out workout. I tried going in for a few weeks and lifting, no real plan of attack, just went by feel. It didn't work out well. I was just seeming to go all over the place, and didn't settle in.

The 5x5 worked well last week when i started it to get my starting numbers, and I like it. Not disregarding anyones advice...although there is so much, and lots of conflicting...its like navigating a minefield sometimes lol.

Cardio tomorrow morning!

Comment

Originally posted by Caramon View Post
          Thanks for the input thedunhill and steel...I am going to stick with the 5x5. Only for the reason that I think I will do better on a planned out workout. I tried going in for a few weeks and lifting, no real plan of attack, just went by feel. It didn't work out well. I was just seeming to go all over the place, and didn't settle in.

The 5x5 worked well last week when i started it to get my starting numbers, and I like it. Not disregarding anyones advice...although there is so much, and lots of conflicting...its like navigating a minefield sometimes lol.

Cardio tomorrow morning!
          That's exactly why I totally support a "routine" for someone just getting in the gym....it takes the guesswork out of it and leaves you able to focus on what you need to, like being progressive or getting your reps, rather than wondering if what you're doing is even helping you. In my experience, most people need a plan, and can't just go by the seat of their pants. Tons of great programs out there to use, so why not? When you get a bit more comfortable, then make your own if you want, but alot of thought went into the popular programs snd many have a solid reputation behind them for WORKING.....Good choice IMO....

Get after it!
          STEEL

Comment

My thoughts exactly. Having something structured works better for me. I don't know enough to figure it out on my own. Like you said later on, maybe.

1 hour cardio this morning. Probably going to the gym later tonight with a family friend that I am helping out with some basics, and will do some ab work and pushups, maybe attempt some pullups...that will be funny...can I get even 1! We will see haha!

Comment

Best of luck to you.

To be clear its not that I have a problem with any set routine...hell I recommend max-ot for a lot of true beginners cause it is basic and gives them an outlet for their enthusiasm. What I am not a fan of is routines based on %'s for someone starting out or just getting back onto training cause most have the ability to gain at a much greater rate than the programs allow...I just don't like beginners "holding back" cause their program calls for it.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Best of luck man.

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
              Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

Nicki Minaj

Comment

That is a good point, and one that I looked at with the 5x5. Also why before I started it I lifted for 2 weeks to get a good starting point with it. I like the fact though, that you can update your %s with the spreadsheet. As an example, I know my bench is stronger than what I put in, but its giving me a good basis to work with at the start. If I feel that I am progressing better than what the program calls for, then I will update the numbers as I go.

After reading the 5x5 author's info, he basically suggests that as well. Either way, I am whacked out after these piddly workouts now, so I am glad its so "easy" at the beginning lol!

Comment

5x5 week 1 day 2

Squats [email protected]
                  OHP - [email protected]
                  Deadlifts [email protected]

25 min walk on the treadmill.

Legs felt tight and 205 felt heavier than 225 on Tuesday. Weird. OHP made me feel like a pussy...95 lbs sucks lol. Deads were better, but kicked my ass. I was really sweating by the time my workout was done!

Comment

Originally posted by thedunhill225 View Post
                    Best of luck to you.

To be clear its not that I have a problem with any set routine...hell I recommend max-ot for a lot of true beginners cause it is basic and gives them an outlet for their enthusiasm. What I am not a fan of is routines based on %'s for someone starting out or just getting back onto training cause most have the ability to gain at a much greater rate than the programs allow...I just don't like beginners "holding back" cause their program calls for it.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Best of luck man.
                    One thing that I have done while running a 5x5 program is take my last set to failure. I have always been failure oriented on the big lifts when it comes to training, not so much on more isolated lifts. I simply didn't feel like I was working the muscle enough if I still had something left in the tank. Most times on my last set, I would get 3-4 more reps, depending on where I was week wise in the program. It was not uncommon for me to hit 7-8 reps on the last set of all my movements....This really helped my strength and I believe I got more benefits than negatives from incorporating this. Of course, I changed the routine up quite a bit to help with my ailing back...
                    STEEL

Comment

I think I will start that, maybe after next weeks workouts, just to give my body a bit more time to come to the realization that I am lifting. Its rebelling right now lol. I have been noticing on a few exercises that I probably have more in the tank, but I am following the program to a T to start.

I am open to all your guys suggestions. I may not incorporate them all, but starting out again is tough, and I am trying to learn as much as I can.

Comment

Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
                        One thing that I have done while running a 5x5 program is take my last set to failure. I have always been failure oriented on the big lifts when it comes to training, not so much on more isolated lifts. I simply didn't feel like I was working the muscle enough if I still had something left in the tank. Most times on my last set, I would get 3-4 more reps, depending on where I was week wise in the program. It was not uncommon for me to hit 7-8 reps on the last set of all my movements....This really helped my strength and I believe I got more benefits than negatives from incorporating this. Of course, I changed the routine up quite a bit to help with my ailing back...
                        That's logical. I know I may come across real "anti routine" but I hope I cleared that up some in the post you quoted... I don't think newbs should hold themselves back. When I was a kid 5X5 or even 4X4 meant that you use a wt you can get either 5 reps with (using the 5X5 example) and you do the first set of 5... Follow with the 4 more sets and when you can get 5 reps each set you then raise the wt...no holding back. I've used that philosophy on 4X4 with compound exs in the past with great results (as long as my total work out volume was low)... It's progressive, heavy and the volume allows for an increase in skill (which equals greater lifts. My bench jumped big time when I did that as a kid! Hell since one of my current objectives is to get my bench back to where it used to be I may actually go back to that on benches for a bit and see what happens.

I don't mean to confuse the OP here... sorry.

Peace

Dr. Seuss

Nicki Minaj

Comment

No worries dunhill! I love the discussion! Keep it up

Anyhow, was cardio day today, and I slept in. Forgot to set the alarm...and I almost missed getting the garbage out! Agh! lol

Anyhow, I will get my cardio in tonight after work. Will be interesting to goto the gym at night...I usually am there at 5:45 am.

Comment

60 min of sweating on the elliptical tonight after work. Felt pretty good. Kept a good pace working up to level 9 and keeping my strides per min around 130-140. I find that works to keep my HR down. I know that its going to take some time to get it under 140 for the duration (for some reason I want this lol, dont' really know why). But after 50 min it was only up at 148 and by the end of my cool down in the 130s.

Now just eating some beef I cooked up yesterday with mushrooms and peppers and onions yum!!

Comment

So I have been reading up a bit here and there, and people are talking about diets/nutrition etc. Obviously I need to lose weight (fat) and I am watching what I am eating, but even with the lifting, and cardio, I am not really dropping much.

I think I need to log what I eat (ugh, that's a pain) or look into some of the systems out there. I have looked a bit into Carb Cycling and it seems like it could work for me, but is there somewhere it is laid out? Not by exactly what to eat and in what amounts, I would assume that I figure that out myself. But more like a better guideline I guess.

Kind of like an ebook or something? I have really only been reading on here, but if anyone has a link that would be fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                              X