Josh's 5x5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Josh's 5x5

I've considered keeping a log for a while now, but I wanted to wait until I was sure I could fully commit, and not waste anyone's time. Just at the tail-end of a Masters degree (Education - I'm a primary school teacher), and between the travels (did the degree in Australia), thesis, limited funds, and a recurring back issue after getting hit from behind playing hockey a few years ago, I wasn't always able to make my way to a gym.

Anyways, won't waste any time here... I'm 28, 6'4, 215, and bodyfat's at roughly 15%. As of about five years ago, I was at 185, sub-10%, but that was with a lot of cardio and different goals; I'm looking to put some weight on my main lifts, particularly squat and bench, and while I'm all for leaning out a bit, that's not the primary goal. I've been going with a 5x5, pretty well following it as is for a few weeks, though I simply do one day on, one day off, and don't take weekends off. I also go on the rowing machine after each workout (1000m, try to improve on my time each week - currently at 3:30, and once I get to 3:00, I'll begin adding distance), do various core exercises (planks, ab wheel, etc.) as I just find it helps prevent any back issues, and a lot of SS cardio throughout the day (I'm also teaching, so I'm essentially always on my feet).

Here's Saturday's workout...

Squat:
    220 x 5
    220 x 5
    220 x 5
    220 x 5
    220 x 5

Bench:
    170 x 5
    170 x 5
    170 x 5
    170 x 5
    170 x 5

Row:
    170 x 5
    170 x 5
    170 x 5
    170 x 5
    170 x 5

My numbers are certainly miniscule compared to most on this board, but with the back issues I've had in the past, I'm working my way up gradually and it's felt pretty good thus far. This was one of the first workouts where I truly felt like I had to push for reps, but I'm pretty convinced I can continue to make progress (5 pounds/workout) for a few more weeks. Will probably drop the weight every six weeks or so just to avoid stalling, which would mean I have three more weeks before I drop the weight a bit.

The biggest issue I'm having right now is with scheduling, though I think we all have issues, and I'm sure there are many of you far busier than myself - I teach full-time, am enrolled in two Masters courses (one of which surrounds the thesis I'm working on), and have a part-time job. So basically I have to come home from school, take a rest (kids are absolutely exhausting), get my research/planning work done or go to work, and head to the gym around 9. This means I'm not always getting as much sleep as I'd like, but going to the gym without the after-school rest isn't much of an option, as I'm often totally drained (I'm sure those with kids will understand). Obviously not ideal, but you do what you have to do.

welcome man.
    Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
    -John Ceasar

Comment

Nice lifting. Watch your low back on those rows....Have fun and get after it!
      STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Appreciate it guys.

Definitely have to be careful on the rows, but so far the back's felt good. That changes, and I might have to tweak things a bit.

Here's this evening's lifts:

Squat:
        220 x 5
        220 x 5
        220 x 5
        220 x 5
        220 x 5

Standing Overhead Press
        125 x 5
        125 x 5
        125 x 5
        125 x 5
        125 x 5

Deadlift:
        275 x 5

I decided to stick with 220 on the squats only because I struggled to get through those final reps during last workout, and wanted to make sure I got through it cleanly before progressing. Definitely did that today, as it felt like nothing, but a good confidence booster to throw those weights around like that.

Comment

Squats:

225 x 5
          225 x 5
          225 x 5
          225 x 5
          225 x 5

Bench:

175 x 5
          175 x 5
          175 x 5
          175 x 5
          175 x 5

Rows:

175 x 5
          175 x 5
          175 x 5
          175 x 5
          175 x 5

Took the day off from teaching as a "research day," but that just meant I was sitting in front of a computer all day, and was pretty exhausted when I finally got to the gym at 10 (proposal's due this weekend, so it was in no way a day off). Was able to break through though, and actually had a pretty easy time with the weights (particularly with squats).

Comment

Had to take an additional day off here and there due to Valentines/birthday commitments with the girlfriend, and a thesis proposal that had to be finished, but got a couple workouts in this week... still progressing - yesterday felt a bit tough, but I got to the gym at about ten at nite and was pretty exhausted, so I was happy just get the extra weight on the bar and grind through.

Sunday

Squats:

230 x 5
            230 x 5
            230 x 5
            230 x 5
            230 x 5

Standing Overhead Press:

130 x 5
            130 x 5
            130 x 5
            130 x 5
            130 x 5

Deadlift:

285 x 5

Wednesday

Squats:

235 x 5
            235 x 5
            235 x 5
            235 x 5
            235 x 5

Bench:

180 x 5
            180 x 5
            180 x 5
            180 x 5
            180 x 5

Rows:

180 x 5
            180 x 5
            180 x 5
            180 x 5
            180 x 5

Comment

Sub'd.

Comment

Yesss, I love taller lifter's logs.

Comment

This is what I love to see; somone hitting the basics. I think I can speak for a lot of us when I say it gets old trying to get someone to undedstand that this is where to start. I just had to reprogram one of my trainees. He had been to a "big box"gym in town and the trainer there had him super setting everything and doing a ton of arm work. His goal was pure mass gain. Anyhow off topic I'll be keeping an eye on this.
                  1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
                  2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
                  2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
                  2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
                  2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
                  2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
                  Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Originally posted by Doberman View Post
                    This is what I love to see; somone hitting the basics. I think I can speak for a lot of us when I say it gets old trying to get someone to undedstand that this is where to start. I just had to reprogram one of my trainees. He had been to a "big box"gym in town and the trainer there had him super setting everything and doing a ton of arm work. His goal was pure mass gain. Anyhow off topic I'll be keeping an eye on this.

If anyone's lifting when I'm at the gym (4am), its a few guys like the one you described. I'm the only one that uses the squat rack; from the time I get there to the time I walk out its otherwise untouched, same for deads.
                    Last edited by Arkbuilder; 02-18-2012, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Friday's workout felt pretty good, though I couldn't get there until about 10:30 at nite, which is a bit later than I'd like (i.e., because I subsequently don't get to sleep until 1 at the earliest). Promised some family I'd attend a cousin's dance performance after work, and that didn't end until about 9, so you do what you have to do. All that matters is I got in there, got the extra weight on, and got it done.

I think the one thing hindering me right now is my diet - I eat fairly clean, but I just don't think I'm eating enough, which is tough between the long hours of studying and working, and the student budget (I'm living off meagre savings and student loans while I get through this unpaid internship). No excuses though, I'm just going to have to find some time each Sunday to do my cooking for the week and get it done.

In any case, here's Friday's workout...

Squat:

240 x 5
                      240 x 5
                      240 x 5
                      240 x 5
                      240 x 5

Standing Overhead Press:

135 x 5
                      135 x 5
                      135 x 5
                      135 x 5
                      135 x 5

Deadlift:

295 x 5

Comment

Originally posted by SkinnyMike42 View Post
                        Yesss, I love taller lifter's logs.
                        Haha... why's that? You taller yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by Doberman View Post
                          This is what I love to see; somone hitting the basics. I think I can speak for a lot of us when I say it gets old trying to get someone to undedstand that this is where to start. I just had to reprogram one of my trainees. He had been to a "big box" gym in town and the trainer there had him super setting everything and doing a ton of arm work. His goal was pure mass gain. Anyhow off topic I'll be keeping an eye on this.
                          I appreciate it Doberman - I've been a reader here for quite a while, so I've just tried to incorporate what's been suggested here with a style that works for me. I like keeping things simple, and the constant progression serves as a huge motivator, so I'm loving the 5x5.

I'm at one of these 'big box' gyms (was able to get a killer deal through a friend - $200 for the year, and can go to any of their locations across Canada), so I know all too well what you're talking about... though considering there are only two squat racks at my gym, they can screw around on the machines all they want. Just allows me to hog the rack without worrying about having someone waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Arkbuilder View Post

If anyone's lifting when I'm at the gym (4am), its a few guys like the one you described. I'm the only one that uses the squat rack; from the time I get there to the time I walk out its otherwise untouched, same for deads.
                            I'm in the same boat, but as I said above to Doberman, it's fine by me. Just allows me to hog the rack.

About a week ago, one of the 'regulars' actually suggested I stop doing so many squats (which will apparently cripple me by the time I reach 40) and focus more on isolation exercises. I didn't even bother, as I hate being interrupted during my workout, and just told him I found that kind of stuff too boring and it didn't work for me... douche now gives me a disapproving (but somewhat joking, as he thinks we're buddies) shake of the head every time I see him.

We'll see where each of us is at six months from now.

Comment

Originally posted by .josh. View Post
                              I'm in the same boat, but as I said above to Doberman, it's fine by me. Just allows me to hog the rack.

About a week ago, one of the 'regulars' actually suggested I stop doing so many squats (which will apparently cripple me by the time I reach 40) and focus more on isolation exercises. I didn't even bother, as I hate being interrupted during my workout, and just told him I found that kind of stuff too boring and it didn't work for me... douche now gives me a disapproving (but somewhat joking, as he thinks we're buddies) shake of the head every time I see him.

We'll see where each of us is at six months from now.
                              My thoughts exactly, with those guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X