Journey to my first meet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Journey to my first meet

I'm completely new to powerlifting but have decided that I want to give it a shot.

The meet that I'm planning on competing in is the 2012 WA State SPF Iron Quest on May 12th.

I'm 25 yo and currently weight 204... however, I've been sick with a stomach bug (pretty severe diarrhea, yeah probably TMI...) for the past 5 days and have basically only been eating toast. Before that I was sitting at 212. So I'm sure I'll gain that weight back. I plan on competing in the RAW Open 220 class.

I'll be using 5/3/1 starting Monday up until the meet. I got into the gym today for the first time in a week, and was feeling a bit weak still as I'm still recovering and today was the first day back to all of my meals.

Anyway, I wanted to see approximately where my lifts stand so I had my fiancee spot/judge me to make sure they were good lifts. Here is what I did today:

Bench Press
    Warm-ups
    275x1 - easy and clean, good lift
    305x1 - easy and clean, good lift
    325 - tough, spotter assisted early before failure, no good
    315x1 - tough but good lift

Squat
    Actually did box squats with a ~15in box and full sit
    Warm-ups
    315x1
    405x1
    455x1 - added belt and knee wraps

Deadlift
    405x1 - hook grip, good
    495 - hook grip, grip failed when bar reached my knees
    495x1 - added straps, good
    545x1 - straps and belt, it was a grinder but good

Total 1315 - I'm pretty happy with that considering I'm not back to full strength after being sick, and I'll use these maxes as a starting point for my 5/3/1 program. I've also got to work on my grip strength but I should be able to bring that up come meet time.

I'm hoping to total 1400+ at the meet.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
    2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
    2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
    2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
    2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Straps aren't allowed so I wouldn't base my pulling numbers off that lift if you can't get it without the straps. Ditching straps altogether between now and the meet will help your grip immensely.
    Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Yeah, I'll be doing all of my DL training without straps going forward - but I do expect to get my grip up to a point that I'll be able to pull 575 at the meet.

2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

I'm thinking about these two options for my accessory work with 5/3/1 - am I on the right track, and if so, which option looks better to you?

Option 1:
        Squat Day
        Front Box Squat
        Seated leg curl
        BB Curl

Bench Press Day
        Incline BB Bench
        Incline DB Fly
        Weighted Dips

Deadlift Day
        Kroc Rows
        Close Grip Pulldowns
        Lying Leg Curl

Shoulder Press Day
        Lateral Raise
        Reverse Cable Fly
        Tricep Pressdowns

Option 2:
        Squat
        Front Box Squat
        Hyperextensions
        Seated Leg Curl

Bench Press
        Incline BB Bench
        Close Grip Pulldown
        Weighted Dips

Deadlift
        Leg Press
        Lying Leg Curl
        BB Curl

Shoulder Press
        Lateral Raise
        Kroc Rows
        Tricep Pressdowns

Comment

If you are doing it 4 days/week, it is probably fine. If you are doing the traditional 3 day/wk, then it is not enough frequency for bench press. You will only be benching every 9th day, which is not enough IMO, unless you are an elite bencher. To get around this, change around your accessories so you are doing shoulder accessories on bench day and bench accessories on shoulder press day. I am about to start my own 5/3/1 and I set it up like this..

Bench 5/3/1
          Chins
          Incline Bench (I will use this as shoulder movement since my chest is my weak point)
          BB Rows
          Skullcrushers

Military 5/3/1
          Curl Grip Pulldowns
          Close(r) Grip Bench (as a chest movement)
          Chest Supported Rows
          Tricep Pushdowns

For your squat/deads, what you have listed is fine....the extra recovery will be good.

I have run 5/3/1 two different times. The 4 day/wk version, similar to what you listed, worked well for all my lifts. The 3 day/wk version did not work very well at all for bench/military press until I set up my accessories like above.

Comment

Started it up today - Squat day!

15in. Box Squats
            265x5
            305x5
            350x8

Front Box Squats
            225x10x4

Seated Leg Curls
            220x10x4

Machine Preacher Curl
            90x15x2

Followed by 10 minutes of stretching.

I'm am NOT used to this much volume, and I understand that this may not even be that much volume to some, but boy are my legs sore already.

Comment

Bench Press
              190x5
              220x5
              250x7

Probably could've squeezed out one more rep on that last set but I didn't have a spotter.

Incline BB Bench Press
              165x10x4

Incline DB Fly
              50x10x4

Weighted Dips
              +45x15x2

60s extreme chest stretch

The dips were surprisingly difficult. With DC I was using 140lbs for my rest-pause sets - but with all of the volume today, and dips being my last exercise, I was barely able to get two sets of 15 with 45lbs.

Comment

Does anybody have an opinion/preference on these singlets?

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...4&m=PD&pid=901
                http://www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SINGLET
                http://www.titansupport.com/products...s/singlet.html
                http://www.crain.ws/squat_suits.html - at bottom of page
                http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/125709

I was going to order the APT singlet, but it's Out of Stock - I emailed them asking if they know when it will be be back in stock but haven't received a response.

Comment

Good thing I won't be competing in the 198s...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4oyI...i4Sn66RSPFPRqk

Based on the results from last year and the meet held at the same gym (and same meet director) in October, I'll be much more competitive in the 220 class.

Comment

Find a local sports store, not a chain. That is where I bought my singlet. Gives you a chance to try it on.

Comment

Originally posted by moco View Post
                      Does anybody have an opinion/preference on these singlets?

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...4&m=PD&pid=901
                      http://www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SINGLET
                      http://www.titansupport.com/products...s/singlet.html
                      http://www.crain.ws/squat_suits.html - at bottom of page
                      http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/125709

I was going to order the APT singlet, but it's Out of Stock - I emailed them asking if they know when it will be be back in stock but haven't received a response.
                      Don't buy from APT anymore. Their customer service has become very bad, their items are constantly out of stock, and they're unreliable in all their business dealings.
                      Last edited by Sammich; 01-13-2012, 05:36 PM.
                      Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                      kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                        Don't buy from APT anymore. Their customer service has become very bad, and they're unreliable in all their business dealings.
                        Originally posted by SkinnyMike42 View Post
                        Find a local sports store, not a chain. That is where I bought my singlet. Gives you a chance to try it on.
                        Thanks for the tips guys; it's appreciated!

Comment

Don't buy from APT anymore. Their customer service has become very bad, their items are constantly out of stock, and they're unreliable in all their business dealings.
                          Inzer is another one. Very slow on shipping. Takes up to a month sometimes to get anything. They do have good customer service though. I personally love their gear, but if I need something quick, I never order from them.

Comment

Well that sucked. I've screwed myself by relying on straps for too long. I feel like today's Back/Deadlift workout gave me more of a forearm workout than back... my forearms were on fire by the end.

Deadlifts
                            I experimented with more of a sumo stance today. Not a tremendously wide one though; stance was just a little wider than conventional, but I positioned my arms on the inside of my legs.

320x5
                            370x5
                            415x3... and then my grip failed so then I threw on my straps and pulled another 6.

I also didn't have any chalk. I've ordered some but it hasn't come in yet. If it doesn't come by next week I think I'll see if I can pick some up at a local sporting goods store. The chalk should help me hang for at least a few more reps.

Kroc Rows
                            90x10x4

Close Grip Pulldowns
                            At this point my hands and forearms are feeling pretty torn up.
                            180x10
                            180x9
                            180x8
                            180x6

Lying Leg Curls
                            155x15x2

I was not happy with this workout and am very pissed at myself for relying on straps for so long. Hopefully it catches up quick.

Comment

Good tip. Thanks.

Originally posted by moco View Post
                              Well that sucked. I've screwed myself by relying on straps for too long. I feel like today's Back/Deadlift workout gave me more of a forearm workout than back... my forearms were on fire by the end.

Deadlifts
                              I experimented with more of a sumo stance today. Not a tremendously wide one though; stance was just a little wider than conventional, but I positioned my arms on the inside of my legs.

320x5
                              370x5
                              415x3... and then my grip failed so then I threw on my straps and pulled another 6.

I also didn't have any chalk. I've ordered some but it hasn't come in yet. If it doesn't come by next week I think I'll see if I can pick some up at a local sporting goods store. The chalk should help me hang for at least a few more reps.

Kroc Rows
                              90x10x4

Close Grip Pulldowns
                              At this point my hands and forearms are feeling pretty torn up.
                              180x10
                              180x9
                              180x8
                              180x6

Lying Leg Curls
                              155x15x2

I was not happy with this workout and am very pissed at myself for relying on straps for so long. Hopefully it catches up quick.
                              Ditch the straps for good. Don't even count any sets that you need straps for. Otherwise you'll continue to find a reason to use them after your grip gives out.

It sucks at first and is a blow to your ego but you should rebound quickly.

Also check out these singlets. I think they're sick looking.

http://www.bluechipwrestling.com/default.aspx
                              Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Working...
                              X