PTAaron's Leaner and Meaner DC Training Log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTAaron's Leaner and Meaner DC Training Log

Okay... I failed to keep up with my last training log - and I don't see any good reason to resurrect it... so I am just going to start from scratch right now!

I've been doing Skip's "liquid protein only" experiment now for 9 weeks, and I've managed to get from a "less than lean" 266lbs down to a much better looking and feeling 248lbs (as of a week ago, next weigh in is in 2 days). I had really let myself go diet-wise for well over a year... between buying a house, short selling a condo... and TONS of stress I managed to balloon up to 272 at one point.

Anyway - I will be working with Skip for another 10 weeks doing another "experiment"... so I am hoping to be in the best shape of my life by the end of that :bb:

I am currently doing a DC 3 way split - which I have been doing for around 2 years. I have been training DC style for a lot longer than that - for those that haven't read my other logs: I worked with InHuman back in the day to learn the ropes, and made some really good progress before I blew out a shoulder and needed to get it repaired back in 2005. After a long recovery I did a few other programs, and have been back to DC most of the time.

Current program - well, you'll see it as I post the workouts... I do have a lateral raise machine in the mix - I know that a lot of people will say that isn't a good choice, but you know what? Who asked!? I added it in when every other pressing exercise made a neck problem I was having get worse. Once I can't progress it, I will go back to a pressing movement. I will also point out that I do my shoulders after my triceps, this was a tweak that IH did with my program because of a need I had - I don't endorse changing the order for anyone else.

First 4 workouts to follow...

TrueNutrition.com discount code: AAL229 saves you 5%

Feel free to PM me with injury questions - I'll get back to you soon as I can.

Workout 1 - Baselines - 12/5/11
    (Commerce Twp "usual" Gym)

Hammer Strength Plate Loaded Preacher Curl - new exercise
    90lbs x 20 Rest Paused

Dumbell Hammer Curl
    65lbs x 10 straight set

Parallel Grip Pulldown
    16 plates x 19 Rest Paused

Hammer Strength Deadlift
    405lbs x 5; 275lbs x 12

NOTES
    Great workout.
    I really liked the hammer strength preacher curl... I can see why all the d-bags at the gym like using it, but unlike them I actually stayed in the seat for the full set instead of jumping up every rep to use my bodyweight to move the weight.
    Hammer curls were a little weak today - but right forearm was sore from playing frisbee golf on Playstation Move for 2 hours... that is fun in 3D!

=================================

Workout 2 - baselines - 12/6/11
    Commerce Twp Gym

Decline Barbell Bench Press - new exercise
    315lbs x 9 Rest Paused - don't know why I decided on 315... clearly I wasn't thinking...

Reverse Grip Smith Bench Press
    225lbs x 17 Rest Paused

Powersquat Machine Shoulder Press
    450lbs x 19 Rest Paused

NOTES
    Pretty happy with this workout - aside from my stupid choice of weight on Declines... It makes perfect sense to start out at 315 on an exercise you haven't done in 3+ months doesn't it? Especially when the most I've ever used on it was 325 for 13... :wacko:
    Anyway - I plan to drop back to 295 next time just to get my reps up, unless I forget.

==========================================

Workout 3 - Baselines - 12/8/11
    Commerce Twp Gym

Leg Press Calves
    450lbs x 11 DC Style

Stiff Leg Deadlifts
    255x6->275x6->295x6

Hammer Strength Leg Press
    405lbs per leg x 6; 315lbs per leg x 20

NOTES
    Pretty happy with this workout... everything felt really good.

==========================================

Workout 4 - Baselines - 12/9/11
    Commerce Twp Gym

Freemotion Single Arm Bicep Curls
    90lbs x 20 Rest Paused

Reverse Grip (EZ Bar) Cable Curl
    57.5lbs x 13 straight set

Nautilus XPLoad Pulldowns
    165lbs per arm x 16 Rest Paused - dropped the weight from last blast to make sure I am getting full ROM and good form

Nautilus Compound Row
    185lbs per arm x 5; 155lbs per arm x 13

Cardio
    Elliptical x some amount of time that I can't recall.

NOTES
    Good workout.

Comment

Couple more notes:
      The previous workouts show my first week back after taking a 1 week cruise period... after doing a "4 rotation" blast.
      Last blast I had a tough time progressing biceps exercises - so I am bumping the rep ranges up to 20-30 RP.
      My goal range for pulldown exercises is 15-20 RP.
      Chest exercises I am shooting for 11-15 (probably should bump it up since I am getting old...)
      Shoulder and tricep exercises 15-20RP.
      SLDL is done in the "sets of 6 (or failing), increasing 20lbs per set" method that you see Scott and Dave Henry do in the first DH video - because this is how I was instructed to do them by IH back in the day.

Also tiptoeing around a healing neck injury, and a mostly healed back problem... so if you have questions about why I am doing something that seems odd, please ask - it may be a work-around I have been doing for those reasons.
      Last edited by PTAaron; 12-09-2011, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Congrats on the weight loss. Glad you are back.
        "Being tired isn't the same as being rich, but most times it's close enough" Chuck Palahnuik

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least"

Comment

Thanks man!
          Glad to be back... and I feel a lot better at the weight I am now - still a pansy, but I think I always will be

EDIT: I should say "at the bodyfat level I am at now" - lean muscle mass has stayed roughly the same, using continued progressions in strength as a guide.
          Last edited by PTAaron; 12-09-2011, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Oh yeah... this new workout plan is divided up between 2 gyms - that is why you will see a reference to which gym the workout was done at in each entry. The "Commerce Twp" gym is 3 miles from my house, the "Novi" gym is 7 miles from my house... both are Lifetime Fitness facilities - but they have different sets of equipment.

Comment

Current supplements:
              Hemo Rage Black Ultra Concentrate (pre-workout)
              Instantized BCAAs from TP
              True Protein Augment
              Cytosport Whey Protein (cheap from Costco - and when I'm going through a bag a week, I need cheap and easy to get ahold of)
              True Protein Beta-Alanine powder
              True Protein Burn
              Animal Pak (I get them free... why not?)

Comment

Damn nice strength!

After a blown out shoulder it's great to see you can still do some nice pressing.

How do you like the hammer strength deads? they aggravate your back injury( what injury did you suffer)
                [http://www.truenutrition.com

-discount code: ADA774-

Buy the highest quality protein and other supplements at the lowest prices.
                Save 5% on all orders.

Comment

Love the hammer deads. I have a disc that is most likely blown out partially - self diagnosed and treated Basically I hurt it letting my form go to pieces trying to get an extra rep on squats - pain and numbness down the left leg were the symptoms. I was able to slowly work back into the hammer deads ... but I am doing them with perfect form, and stopping as soon as I feel like I am losing form at all.
                  I spent 6 months doing no exercises that loaded the spine, while doing the back extension machine every back workout to work on my strength (like I suggested in the PM). I am going to add squats (box squats) in as a part of "workout 9" for the first time in a year or more... so we'll see how it goes. I have done front squats since the injury - but I just suck at them.

Comment

Well good to hear you are healthy... gonna follow the log def

Save 5% on all orders.

Comment

I'll try to keep it interesting

Comment

I'll be following along! Glad to hear you're better and congrats on the weight loss.
                        TRUE PROTEIN Discount Code- CSH730

Comment

Thanks man!

Comment

Workout 5 - Baselines - 12/12/11
                            Novi Gym (the "other" gym)

Hammer Strength Flat Bench Press - New exercise
                            125lbs per arm x 15 Rest Paused

Close Grip Bench Press - new exercise
                            185lbs x 15 Rest Paused

Smith Machine Shoulder Press - new exercise
                            165lbs x 11 Rest Paused

Cardio
                            Elliptical x 21 minutes

NOTES
                            Good workout!
                            All new exercises today, and at the "other" gym... so it was a really nice change! I did some really stupid math for my Shoulder Presses today - I haven't done them in almost a year probably... so I wanted to start out at 135 and just get a lot of reps. I put on 45+45+25+25+15lb bar... and somehow expected that to be 135lbs! :insane: I was saying "Holy crap, I know I'm weak... but..." I felt better after I re-added the numbers.

Weighed in yesterday morning - and was kind of disappointed to find that I hadn't lost any more. My goal was 245 by next Sunday... and that can still happen pretty easily. I am going to need to finally adjust my lever lock belt one notch tighter because my waist is shrinking

Comment

Nice workout.
                              Sticking with the liquid protein diet?

Save 5% on all orders.

Comment

Working...
                              X