Steel's new training log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel's new training log

Well, started a new blast about 3 weeks ago, and after only semi completing 4 workouts over the past 3 weeks, I am coming back from yet another minor (I think) issue....Started the first leg of the blast for my ISOM entry, was coming off about a 2 week hiatus, with only some pump style training in there sporadically. First workout went well, but afterward my shoulder and elbow started to bother me pretty badly. I decided to train thru it, never completed the following workout. Following week went pretty much the same. Last Monday decided to just do something, so hit my chest only, and damn did I feel like I was gonna be a grown man crying...Went outta town Thursday and decided that I was all done until this week. Tomorrow will be day one, and I'm actually gonna just do some volume work now and ease back into the heavy weights. I am feeling all too beat up, and at this point I really just wanna get something consistent going, even if it's with half the weight I normally use. I have trained 4 times in 3 weeks and have had 8 days completely off, unless you consider EATING exercise...lol.

This is what my split is gonna look like at the start, with me adding more volume in as I gauge how I feel after each 2 week increment....

Chest, shoulders, tris - 3 work sets of 2 exercises except for tris, which will be 3 sets of one exercise

Back, Biceps, abs - 3 work sets of 2 exercises each for back width and thickness, 3 seets of 2 exercises for bi's, and abs whatever I feel I can do (have an umbilical hernia)

Legs - 2-3 worksets of a quad movement, plus a widow of 20 reps or more, 3 sets hamstring movement, 3 sets calves.

This is not how I USUALLY train, but I really have been hampered by alot of nagging injuries over the past year, and I really want to start 2012 off on a good note. So the plan is to ramp up the volume/intensity every two weeks if possible, depending on how I feel, until I'm hitting about 10-12 sets for big body parts. Prob just move volume up twice over this time and then just continue to add weight. I'm looking at this as more of a rehab type training, just to ensure that I get everything firing well again.

Right now I'm sitting at a pretty solid 255-260lbs, just the usual lower gut fat and small love handles. I still have upper abs and my strength had been very good up to my breaks....Have some time now that youth football is over for us, and although wrestling is starting, I no longer coach that so my nites are free. I'm looking forward to getting in here, getting some support from you guys, and generally just being on the board a bit more. I haven't been very active in here for awhile due to my schedule, but that should not be a problem any longer, at least till next football season...lol

Diet is NOT an issue, as I've been working with Skip forever now, and I'm in an offseason plan, that even with my crazy schedule AND my nagging issues, I've managed to put on a good 15-18lbs. I KNOW I'd be looking better and having better gains if I was more consistent with everything. Consistency IS the key, and I was really struggling thru the summer and early fall to piece everything together. I was burning the candle at both ends, and unfortunately, I don't think anything in my life received 100% during this time. I'm gonna try adding a bit of cardio in here as well, and although the eating plan will stay as Skip has it for me, I will be looking to ramp the metab a bit and maybe get a BIT of a recomp. Should happen, as I've done virtually NO cardio since August of 2010...lol. I think adding some in 3 days a week may make a BIG difference.....

Anyone have any suggestions, feel free to post. I feel this plan may help me to get back to where I need to be, but I'm looking at things for a slow and steady pace here...
    STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Good luck Scott.
    SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

What's this Cricket place all about?!
      Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
        What's this Cricket place all about?!
        Well, Skip is the expert, but I will say it is great wings and burgers, and I believe the burgers were featured on a Food Network show....cool place too....
        STEEL

Comment

Well, got back at it today....not feeling too bad.

Incline dumbbell-100x13, 8, 6
          Machine chest press-210x8, 6, 5
          Machine shoulder press-90x8, 7, 7
          Side laterals-40x12, 10, 10
          Vbar pushdowns-60x15, 12, 12
          Cable crossovers-25x12, 30x12

Not bad for my first day back. I'm sure I'm gonna be sore for a couple days....

Back and bi's on Friday.....
          STEEL

Comment

Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
            Well, Skip is the expert, but I will say it is great wings and burgers, and I believe the burgers were featured on a Food Network show....cool place too....
            That's all you have to say to describe it after crushing the place for a few days straight?!?! Haha. I love seeing places on FN and then being able to check them out in person. I have friends in Denver that are always inviting me out. I'll have to hit it up next time I fly out.

Comment

still working in the cabinet shop?
              Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
              -John Ceasar

Comment

Originally posted by lhart6272 View Post
                still working in the cabinet shop?
                Yeah, I'm still there. Learning alot and trying to be the good employee...lol. Still busy and although I do NOT enjoy working for someone, that's what I gotta do for now.....

That's all you have to say to describe it after crushing the place for a few days straight?!?! Haha. I love seeing places on FN and then being able to check them out in person. I have friends in Denver that are always inviting me out. I'll have to hit it up next time I fly out.
                Lol....I can't really say much else about it other than it was great. I know you are the food critic, as I've read some of your reviews, but I can't really put that stuff into words...lol. I had a few beers, the wings were great and the burger was killer. It was the meat...it was so fresh it just kinda melted in your mouth. No firmness or chew to it, just fresh as hell and very good....
                STEEL

Comment

Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
                  Yeah, I'm still there. Learning alot and trying to be the good employee...lol. Still busy and although I do NOT enjoy working for someone, that's what I gotta do for now.....
                  I'm with you on working for someone else....

How do you feel standing on concrete all day effects leg recovery? Have you altered your volume or intensity of leg training or has it not been a noticable issue?
                  Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
                  -John Ceasar

Comment

Originally posted by lhart6272 View Post
                    I'm with you on working for someone else....

How do you feel standing on concrete all day effects leg recovery? Have you altered your volume or intensity of leg training or has it not been a noticable issue?
                    It wasn't noticeable in recent blasts. However, I haven't been able to train legs full bore due to my nagging groin injury. The concrete does hurt my feet though...lol
                    STEEL

Comment

good to see you logging again man.

Comment

Things haven't gone quite as planned. Elbow is feeling ok, got a back/bi workout in last Friday, but Saturday woke up fairly sick and I'm JUST getting to what I think is the tail end of it now.....my hernia is killing me cause I'm coughing so much, and it's been hard to sleep. Thank God for Nyquil...lol. I'm thinking I'm gonn try to get started again with a short workout on Friday, then back to the meat of things on Sunday....I am motivated but just feeling like shit and not pushing it.....I will log my last back day after the next workout....

Everyone enjoy your Thanksgiving!
                        STEEL

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving buddy.

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving buddy.
                            Thanks Adam, you too!
                            STEEL

Comment

Well, finally about 90% after being sick got awhile. Got back in the gym on Saturday for chest/shoulders/tri's, and hit back/bi's today. Felt like I hadn't missed a beat. When I get in there on Wed, it will be the first full week in some time, so I will be ecstatic when I get on there.....my brother and I may start training together again, so that could be fun too....
                              STEEL

Comment

Working...
                              X