X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PhxRPh
    replied
    10/12/11

Night BJJ Gi class - decided to grab my oldest and go back out for a second class last night. I wanted her to check out the daycare and I wanted to get in some gi work.

A couple of surprises:
    •the class started 15min earlier than the online schedule said
    •it appeared to be a competition class

So I walked in late to my first gi class and everyone was yelling and cheering on their guys that were rolling. The teacher was cool about me being late, he gave me a little crap (as he should) but got me on a team and then I had my 1st match.

I've never been to a competition match and all the rollling that I've done for the last few months (except the classes here) have been pretty laid back and mostly flow-type rolling.
    Nothing I've ever done prepared me for the adrenaline rush and the 110% effort of a simulated competition match.

I was paired up with a 1-stripe white belt of the other team. My one advantage was that I outweighed him by about 40lbs Unfortunately he had speed, skill, conditioning and age on me

The Play-by-Play:

3 minute match. Started on the feet, quickly went to his guard and defended several submissions. After a bit I was able to pass guard and get him side control. 2pts for me. After a while he got of my side control and with about 20 seconds left got my back. 4pts for him.

Match over. 2pts to 4pts for the other guy. Really enjoyed it and was happy with my performance overall.
    We spent the rest of the night rolling with a little less intensity.

1st Round - rematch. This time I passed his guard and basically laid on top of him working for arm locks for about 2 minutes. Never got very close to the submission but also kept my position for pretty much the whole time.

2nd Round - blue belt. Lets just say he dominated me completely. He let me try a few things and I managed a few escapes but he probably subbed me 3 or 4 times in 5 minutes.

3rd Round - 2 stripe white belt (that had managed to sub a blue belt about 15 minutes earlier). We were both about ready to puke. Once again my defence was adequate but he was larger, stronger and more skilled. I think he only manged to sub me twice and was never in any real danger from me. I managed a few good positions but never kept them for any length of time.

Overall, great class. Really wish I'd gotten there on time. Based on my last 3 classes I've decided I've found a new home for my BJJ. Very excited about it.

Leave a comment:

• PhxRPh
    replied
    BJJ - no-gi
    25 minutes of technique work
    went over two different defenses to the triangle choke:
    •first is to posture up, push your hips forward and shake the oppenent loose and into your side control
    •second it to posture up then sit back and get your legs around them and arch while extending your legs.

Both worked pretty well for me and was able to actually use the 1st technique later in class while rolling

Rolling - 6 rounds of 3 minutes each
    •Round 1 - went with someone who was in for his 1st class. Mostly just getting mount and then talking him through how to recover guard and/or bump me
    •Round 2 - went with one of the students, had a handful of escapes from subs and decent positioning once or twice. He subbed me a few times and definitely won the round
    •Round 3 - Sat this one out
    •Round 4 - pretty much the same as round 2 but with a different guy, felt like I had a little better defense this time around and didn't get subbed as often
    •Round 5 - Sat this one out
    •Round 6 - best roll of the class for me, was caught in a rear-naked choke and I very nearly submitted him b/c he left his feet crossed in front of me and I was able to leg lock him. After I tapped to the choke he said it was very close. After that we went back and forth several times him staying dominant in position and me mostly escaping. Just before the round ended he shot in for a take down and got him in a guillotine choke

Very good class all around again. I'm about 90% sure I'm signing up this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• PhxRPh
    replied
    Last Night:

No-gi class
    25 minutes of technique
    •breaking down the turtle guard
    •getting a hook into turtle and then
    •rolling to take the back and get the other hook

5 rounds of rolling. Each round was 5 minutes long with 1 minute rest between
    •round 1 - rolled with a blue belt and he absolutely dominated me
    •round 2 - rolled with another guy (white belt?) finished him with a triangle choke from mount, kimura, americana, straight armbar from mount and chicken wing
    •round 3 - rolled with a (amateur?) fighter. I was exhausted at this point. He controlled me very well, probably a wrestler, but I was able to escape some of his subs. He did more flow rolling b/c he knew how exhausted I was.
    •round 4 - sat this one out
    •round 5 - rolled with a white belt, 1st time around he got me in some weird neck crank, next few starts ended with me getting mount each time (had to restart a few time b/c space was limited). I managed a rear-naked choke at the end of the round.

This is the first no-gi class I've had in a very long time and I really enjoyed it. The game is a lot faster and submissions are much harder to get b/c of the sweat.

This is also the first time that I've been to this school. Really liked the class but afterward I had to sit thru a car-salesman like pitch to join the gym (they're located in a fitness gym). I think the most annoying thing that was by the time I walked out of there the sales guy had dropped the price by $40/mo and waived $200 in fees. The whole time I'm thinking: why didn't you just start here and why did the owner tell something totally different over the phone when I asked for a ballpark figure???

So I'm going to think about it some more. I really don't want to sign a long-term contract (and the sales tactics pissed me off) but it's less than 5 miles from my house, has 2 BJJ black belts from American Top Team (not an affiliate though), classes 6 days a week and daycare.

Leave a comment:

• PhxRPh
    replied
    Let's GO CARDS!

Leave a comment:

• PhxRPh
    replied
    thanks Mark, everything felt good and probably easier than last week

Leave a comment:

• mark!
    replied
    Good work man, love sessions where things feel light.

Leave a comment:

• PhxRPh
    replied
    Mike - you can't go around changing your name :twitch:

Week 2 Day 3 of MadCow's 5x5

Bench Press
    95 x 5
    115 x 5
    135 x 5
    160 x 3
    115 x 8

Yate's Rows
    95 x 5
    115 x 5
    135 x 5
    160 x 3
    115 x 8

Squats
    115 x 5
    155 x 5
    185 x 5
    210 x 5
    245 x 3
    185 x 8

Pretty easy session. Finished the whole thing in about 35 minutes. The weights felt really good on everything and I'm looking forward to some rest this weekend. Had to get up early today for work and Harper's been getting me up the last few nights as well. :ranger:

Leave a comment:

• PhxRPh
    replied
    of course

Leave a comment:

• SkinnyMike42
    replied
    So can you like, beat the living shit out of people now?

Leave a comment:

• PhxRPh
    replied
    Thanks Mark.

Class last night was a little different than what I've been doing and also not quite what I was expecting. The class was lead by an assistant instructor b/c the head instructor was sick.

Mobility drills x 15 minutes

De La Riva guard
    • maintaining position
    • triangles

Spider Guard
    • maintaining position
    • triangles
    • kimuras
    • sweep

Standing Guard Pass
    • to cradle
    • to knee on belly

From Knee on Belly
    • neck crank
    • arm bars from defending the neck crank
    • sitting North-South from defending neck crank

From Sitting North-South
    • ankle lock
    • calf crush
    • knee bar

Now if that seems like a lot, it is. Way too much information for me and in several cases didn't have enough time to actually try the movements. The person running the class gave us about 5 minutes to drill them which was just enough time for one of us to do it. Most of what we were doing appeared to be too advanced for the guys in the class.

Class ended with me being asked to help mop the mats, which I did. Just a little surprised that I was asked. Only other thing I can think to add is that of the 6 guys in class, 3 were hurt from previous classes :ontome:

The students were all very friendly and seemed like a really good group of guys just don't think the instruction is what I'm looking for.

Leave a comment:

• mark!
    replied
    You do so much work man it's amazing. Your conditioning has to be amazing.

Leave a comment:

• PhxRPh
    replied
    Originally posted by LuNa23 View Post
    Good to see you continue the journalling road here. Will be very interesting to see how the aggressive progression of 5x5 will fit with the bjj.
    It will definitely be a fine line. Hopefully keeping the Wednesday session abbreviated will be enough.

BTW, bodyweight is holding steady at 210-215 depending on the time off day. Was talking to a few guys last night and with the break down of weight classes for BJJ it usually ends up being 200+ for my age/skill bracket. So since I have absolutely no interest in getting to be less than 200lbs looks like I can continue to eat whatever I want

Leave a comment:

• LuNa23
    replied
    Good to see you continue the journalling road here. Will be very interesting to see how the aggressive progression of 5x5 will fit with the bjj.

Leave a comment:

• PhxRPh
    replied
    Originally posted by mister69 View Post
    10th planet so you guys do alot of rubber guard stuff?
    I've never been to the this affiliate but I did train at Eddie's 1st one in Phoenix for a few months about 3 years ago. And to be honest we did very little rubber guard work.

About half of the classes were what I'd consider regular BJJ (all no-gi of course) and the other half included some of the techniques specific to 10th JJ, which is a lot of half-guard work. Everything built of the basics though.

Rubber guard gets a lot of attention because it's pretty unique and very easy to identify when someone is using it. Also, some high level MMA guys use it as well.

I always found the system to be very solid with the basics, at least in my limited experience.

And btw, I've never managed a gogoplata :madgrin:

Leave a comment:

• mister69
    replied
    10th planet so you guys do alot of rubber guard stuff?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X