Glyder's "Please change my journal title" journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glyder's "Please change my journal title" journal

Hey all, been gone a while. Getting my ass back in the gym. Hi to all I have missed. Here is what I am planning. Never done power-lifting before per-se, just usually did DC. Should be interesting.

I am doing a fun strongman/powerlifting comp next year in Aug so I have a year to A - lose a bunch of weight (yeah I know, I always say this, but I am down to 250ish and holding, so thats better than what I have done in a LONG time) and B - get my weights up and back to a respectable number.

Here is what I have worked out, not sure if its proper but will tweak it as I go.

Basic setup:

Week 1 = 3 sets of 5 reps
    Week 2 = 3 sets of 3 reps
    Week 3 = 5/3/1
    Week 4 = deload, 3 sets of 5 reps

Percentage setup:

Week 1 = 75% x 5 reps , 80% x 5 reps , 85% x 5 reps
    Week 2 = 80% x 3 reps , 85% x 3 reps , 90% x 3 reps
    Week 3 = 75% x 5 reps , 85% x 3 reps , 95% x 1 rep
    Week 4 = deload - 60% x 5 reps , 65% x 5 reps , 70% x 5 reps

WEEK 1
    MON
    Military Press
    DB Inc press - 3-5 @ 6-20
    DB Power Cleans 3-5 @ 10-25

WED
    Deadlift
    Seated leg curls [email protected]
    Hang leg raises [email protected]

Fri
    Flat bench
    HS shoulder press [email protected]
    Pulldowns [email protected]

WEEK 2
    Mon
    Squats
    Hack squats [email protected]
    Weighted situps [email protected]

Wed
    Military Press

Fri
    Deadlift

Week 3
    Mon
    Flat bench

Wed
    Squats
    Leg Press [email protected]

Fri
    Military Press

Week 4
    Mon
    Deadlift

Wed
    Flat bench

Fri
    Squats
    Hack squats [email protected]

I know its pretty basic, but its a start. I think I need that right now, to at least get my weights up from pussy mode. I did sub in leg press one day, cause I know my friend likes leg press, and just a bit of variation.

Diet is tough, but I am cutting carbs out as much as I can. Have already started (couple weeks back) and I am further cutting them out. LIke I said, carb sensitive. I usually goto bed around 11-12, so I cut them out around 5-6 depending on when supper is.

Cardio is going pretty good. I am doing walks around the neighborhood and riding my bike with my daughter rather than going to the gym for now. I have a pulled groin from ball from a few weeks ago, its still sore so walking right now is best. Jogging/sprints are out for now. ( do get a bit of cardio from playing ball, but mostly I just sweat LOL)

Starting next week I will be hitting the gym, and testing out my numbers, looking for a first week in Sept start.
    Lets get serious. Lets get ugly. Beat the logbook - Gollum
    BEAT YOUR FREAKING LOGBOOK! That's what you should be worrying about - DC

It has everything to do with what you put in your mouth. Stop putting unhealthy shit in your mouth - trucelt

Save 5% at TrueProtein.com - snc768

Sup Glyder!!!

Nice to see you have joined the darkside!!

(and by darkside, i mean powerlifting, not being a homosexual.)

5/3/1 is a pretty good place to start. it's basic and it's easy to follow. truth be told, you would probably be better off with running the boring but big template for 5/3/1. this would give you lots more time on the four basic lifts and get you familiar with your form on the big 3.

but you already got your split layed out, so have at it. kick some ass and holler if you need anything.
    "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Well why didn't you say that on the PL post lol. Whats the boring but big template? I will check it out and see. Nothing is set in stone either. I still have to talk with my buddy/training partner.

It has everything to do with what you put in your mouth. Stop putting unhealthy shit in your mouth - trucelt

Comment

boring but big is this:

strict press - 5/3/1
        strict press - 5 x 10
        whatever x something

deadlift - 5/3/1
        deadlift - 5 x 10
        accessory x sets

etc. etc.

basically, instead of picking two accessory movements after the main lift, you just do the main lift again for 5 sets of 10 and then do one accessory movement for 5 sets of 10

5/3/1 is very flexible. it's not one of those things where you have to follow the shit letter for letter. there are several suggested templates that wendler has given out over the years.

back when i did it for a bit, i would do whatever the percentages were for the main lift, and then i would do more of a "traditional" type of powerlifting workout for the rest of my workout.

the biggest reason i suggested boring but big, is cause it's simple to follow, you get more volume with the main lift, and personally, i think its the best version of 5/3/1.
        "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish." - Dr. Suess

Comment

I think I am going to stick with what I have for a few months, and change it up as we go. I will talk with my training partner and see what he figures.

So does digging out and loading and unloading trucks with lockstones all day yesterday, today and for 4 hours tomorrow in 80deg heat count as cardio? Fuck yeah lol. Man I am sore today. Forearms are sore, hammies are sore even my lats are sore.

I have to say the last few days have been great "workout" days. I was able to keep up a pretty good pace, and after a shower feel great. Tomorrow I have another 2-3 hours of it, then baseball from 1-6. Good day all around. Monday will see me at the gym working out finally to get my starting weights. This week I will work mainly on the big lifts and get the accessory lifts going. Going to be weak as shit, and my starting weights will be low, but that will go up hopefully quickly.

Comment

I am fuckin whacked out. 3 days of lifting and piling lockstone blocks, and then 4 hours of baseball today in 80 deg heat. It was awesome, but man am I ever sore, tired and sore lol.

Hitting the gym tomorrow morning and I will most likely start off with:

MON
            Military Press

WED
            Deadlift

Looking forward to getting this train rollin!

Comment

So I didn't bother putting in my stats from when I went in and did starting weights and such, as I figured last week I would start from basically week one. Then I got some bad news that week and I wasn't really in the mood to start lifting. So last week I was ready to go, got my first day done on Tuesday morning, and since I was playing ball each night last week got in later and didn't put in my numbers.

Wed night had another ball game, but did cardio in the morning. Wed night at the game I was pitching, ball came right at my legs, I twisted out of the way to catch it and gave myself a super awesome hernia. My balls literally felt like they exploded, and I felt like my right leg popped out of its socket.

So, right now I am basically a gimp. I can barely move laterally and if I slip, I injure it again (like last night, the feeling of being torn in half was fantastic!).

I see my Dr on Wed and I have a feeling surgery is in my future. I am going to keep going to the gym and do what I can, but elliptical, bike are out, as are most weights. I am trying to find exercises that I can do, but most involve tightening the core, which really, really fucking hurts.

I know this is long, and I could just say fuck it and do nothing, but I am tired of this and I am going to keep going. Drop some weight and hopefully if I do have surgery it won't be a long recovery.

Comment

Good to know its only a severe groin strain. At least I did it right and with intensity! Doc said its the most severe one she has ever seen! She complimented me on doing a great job lol.

So, light duty for at least the next 2-3 weeks, lots of ice and taking it easy. Going to look into physio next week and see how it goes. Hope to be doing something productive in the gym come November.

Comment

Should change this to rehab log. LOL, did 30 min on the treadmill today. Tried the elliptical, but felt odd on the groin. I don't want to re-aggravate it, so I will most likely keep on the treadmill for at least another week. First day back and I am stiff, but I didn't feel any problems doing the walking.

I want to try the abductor/adductors with very light weights to see if that will help but not until next week. I don't want to re-tear anything.

Comment

severe groin strain agghhh! man that sucks im sure. i know it how it feels to be injured but itching to get back at it but take time with the rehab. goodluck man
                    Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
                    -John Ceasar

Comment

Yeah, totally taking it easy. I just started stretching, very lightly as I don't want to tear anything again. Dr thinks I also tore or really stretched some ligaments/tendons (can't remember what she said) and I want to take it really slow. Next week I am going to start light weights.

Comment

40 min on the treadmill this morning. Took it easy at 2.7 mph and 2 deg incl.

I decided to do some light lifting, using the Hammer Str machines, as these will keep me locked in position relatively safely, and keep my groin/lower abdomen from getting involved. I want to keep the healing going, so stressing it too much is not what I want right now.

HS Inc press - 6 sets total last 3 were r/p and only used up to 140 - 12, 10, 8
                        HS Shoulder press - 4 sets total, only used 50 lbs
                        HS lat pull down - 4 sets total only used 140 lbs

Did some light stretching.

Tomorrow, will do cardio and arms. I will be making an appt with the rehab clinic, and see what exercises they suggest.

Comment

45 min on the treadmill. Getting better in the groin everyday. More flexibility and movement. I am still very cautious about walking and turning lol. Scared to blow it again.

HS bicep curls. 2 warmup sets, 4 sets with a whole 70 lbs!
                          HS tricep pushdowns. 2 warmup with 90, 4 sets with 180 x 10

Noticed a lot of abdominal use coming into play with the curls. I don't want to strain them so I will keep the weights low. Don't want to start any kind of abdominal exercises till I speak with my physiotherapist (calling today)

Comment

ROFL! Thanks Sammich :crutch:

Comment

Originally posted by Glyder View Post
                              ROFL! Thanks Sammich :crutch:
                              :kitchen:
                              Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                              kind of a douche

Comment

Working...
                              X