fade's "crossfit is for wussies" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fade's "crossfit is for wussies" thread

So I'm going to combine these three things and see how far it takes me. I have been doing quite a bit of research on the leangains method of intermittent fasting (leangains.com) and I think I want to give it a try.

It's pretty basic:

Fast 16 Hours
    Eat 8 Hours...

So I'll take a normal daily macro amount and fit it into 3 meals that I will then fit into an 8 hour time period.

Right now I'm coming off from about 1 week post contest binge, so I'm a bit watery and need to get back onto some formulation of diet until my metabolism adjusts and gets used to eating food again.

Starting tomorrow this is how I'm going to lay out my diet:

Non-Training Days:

Fast until 4PM

4:00PM
    100g Protein
    100g Carbs
    8g Fat

8:00PM
    100g Protein
    50g Carbs
    8g Fat

12:00PM
    100g Protein
    25g Carbs (fruit)
    16g Fat

Approximate Macros:
    300g Protein
    175g Carbs
    32g Fat

Training Days:

Fast Until 4PM

4:00PM
    100g Protein
    75g Carbs
    16g Fat

7:30-8:45
    -WORKOUT-
    During Training:
    75g carbs from Karbolyn
    10g Creatine
    10g BCAA's

POST WORKOUT:
    75g Protein from a blended shake - whey, egg, casein.
    75g carbs from 2 low-fat poptarts
    0g fat

30 Mins Later
    50g Protein
    25g Carbs from fruit
    0g Fat

12:00PM
    100g Protein
    50g Carbs
    16g Fat

Approximate Macros:
    325g Protein
    300g Carbs
    16g Fat

I have left my protein a little bit lower than I normally go just simply because I am keeping my carbs a bit higher. I haven't kept carbs high in the past, so I simply want to see how I will respond. The calorie amounts of this diet are SIMILAR to the amounts that I was taking in at about 12 weeks out from my show.

As for my training - I am going to get to work on some 5/3/1 starting tomorrow. I don't know my rep maxes yet, so I'm going to guesstimate (and guess low) based off some DC training during my contest prep. I lost a decent amount of strength getting the last little bit of body fat off this last month or so - so I expect my strength to make some nice jumps over the training cycles.

I am hoping to be able to throw in some Strongman training and switch from a 4 day 5/3/1 split to a 3 day 5/3/1 split with 1 event day. That will probably be awhile from now, so I am going to do just do the Boring But Big 4 day a week split for now.

I will update more on that tomorrow. I am curious how every writes down their training for 5/3/1 - do you use excel and print them out, or do you just write them down on your training journal?

I have the 5/3/1 calculator: http://www.blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator that I'll use to set up the program - but I'm not sure if I'll just write it down or bring printed out sheets of paper with me from the ebook.

Surely there will be more to come. Right now I'm going to have another bowl of ice cream until I have to buckle down just slightly tomorrow to get this bloat off of me. I have been snoring like a trucker lately.

Jared
    Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
    FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
    www.316fit.com
    Email: [email protected]

Remember to keep all the weights submaximal for the first run-through of 5/3/1. You'll also want to NOT go to failure on the main lifts. It's hard coming from a DC background like we do, but keep in mind you'll be squatting, deadlifting, and benching every single week. It really does pay off in the long run.
    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
    kind of a douche

Comment

Fade,

Diet looks great, the only thing is your post workout meal for IF'ing is supposed to be the largest calorically so keep that in mind
      For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

If you want I've got a 5/3/1 logbook that totals everything out for you when you put in 1RM's.
        …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

Fade, are you not counting the fat from the low fat pop tarts on purpose?
          SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
            Remember to keep all the weights submaximal for the first run-through of 5/3/1. You'll also want to NOT go to failure on the main lifts. It's hard coming from a DC background like we do, but keep in mind you'll be squatting, deadlifting, and benching every single week. It really does pay off in the long run.
            But on the last set of the main lift - I do push it close to failure, correct?

Originally posted by DCBliever View Post
            Fade,

Diet looks great, the only thing is your post workout meal for IF'ing is supposed to be the largest calorically so keep that in mind
            I am considering the Karbolyn, Protein + Pop Tarts, and the meal 30 minutes later all as one total meal. It should be approximately 125g Protein + 175g Carbs.

Originally posted by mark! View Post
            If you want I've got a 5/3/1 logbook that totals everything out for you when you put in 1RM's.
            Post it up if you can. I'll take a look, may come in handy.

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
            Fade, are you not counting the fat from the low fat pop tarts on purpose?
            No, I won't be counting the trace amounts of fats from some carb and protein meals... as well as the trace amount of carbs from fat and protein meals. There is only something like 5g of fat in the two pop tarts and so it's not enough for me to even care. I would get more if I were eating chicken breast.

As a guideline.. My protein sources I will only count the fat if it's more than 10-20g per meal (since each meal is about 100g of protein)...

Carb choices I won't count protein or fats from unless the fat is outrageous - and I won't be picking carbs that are really high in fat anyway.

Fat choices I wont be counting the protein or carbs in either.. IE peanut butter has protein and carbs, but I will only be counting the protein. Technically my 300g of protein will most likely be closer to 400g of protein if I were counting those macros from the other types of food - but this just makes it much, much easier for me.

I also am not going to use any protein powder other than my post workout shake. I will still have it on hand JUST IN CASE - but I will make it a goal not to use it.

www.316fit.com

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
              But on the last set of the main lift - I do push it close to failure, correct?
              Precisely. But you're supposed to leave a little in the tank just so you don't run yourself into the ground. I've found that works best, as well.
              kind of a douche

Comment

Precisely. But you're supposed to leave a little in the tank just so you don't run yourself into the ground. I've found that works best, as well.
                I'm also going to start incorporating some GPP work as well... Some sprints, build a sled... Etc. anything you guys do in particular?

Sent from my DROIDX

www.316fit.com

Comment

I'm also going to start incorporating some GPP work as well... Some sprints, build a sled... Etc. anything you guys do in particular?

Sent from my DROIDX
                  I dunno, powerlifters always talk about pushing a prowler or dragging a sled. As if that does shit for endurance. I just like sticking my ass on a bike or going for a walk.
                  kind of a douche

Comment

Sent from my DROIDX

If you going to drag the sled for GPP, go light and drag for about 20 minutes straight. I have a 50 yard stretch I will go back and forth on, I can usually get about 16 trips down and back.
                    FEAR THE FROG

Originally posted by John Broz
                    If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

Comment

I dunno, powerlifters always talk about pushing a prowler or dragging a sled. As if that does shit for endurance. I just like sticking my ass on a bike or going for a walk.
                      Lol, well they wendler seems to preach a lot about doing stuff like hill sprints, stairs, prowlers, sled dragging, etc.. I might see what I can and can't do and see how it affects my recovery. To be honest I think I have underestimated my recovery quite a bit in the past... So I'm willing to push it a little harder with some GPP to see how I handle it.

Originally posted by JohnCaesar View Post
                      If you going to drag the sled for GPP, go light and drag for about 20 minutes straight. I have a 50 yard stretch I will go back and forth on, I can usually get about 16 trips down and back.
                      Thanks man. I will definitely start light. The other day I did some hill sprints and did 6 of them - they were about 75 feet - and stopped just to get my body used to doing them before I bombard myself.

Now I need to either find a machine shop to build me a cheap sled or to just get a free tire, plywood, and some sandbags.

www.316fit.com

Comment

have you considered treadmill sprints?

here's the excerpt from 5/3/1 for Powerlifting where he discusses them...

"I noticed you used treadmill sprints in the winter as conditioning work. How
                        do you do this?

Here is a good beginning workout on the treadmill; for someone that has never done them before. After a good warm-up,put the treadmill on the steepest incline that you feel comfortable with – if in doubt, go lower than you think. Start the treadmill and put it at a speed that allows you to jog. Jog for 15 seconds and rest for 45. After the first sprint/jog increase the speed a bit and do the same thing – 15 seconds on/45 seconds off. Keep doing this until you reach a speed in which you are sprinting hard but in no danger of falling off."

Comment

Looks an interesting plan, all the best and i will hopefully follow along.

Comment

I am also very interested in this strategy and will be following closely. Good luck Fade!

Comment

I'm looking forward to seeing how you like this. I was either going to try this or The UP DAY/DOWN DAY Diet. I ended up deciding on the later. I basically fast every other day and kill it every other day. We started at 500 on day 1, then 5500 on day 2. Now we are doing 500/4000/500/5000.

As far as GPP I did some HITT Cardio that got made my conditioning go through the roof. I just used a GYM BOSS and would set it for 40 seconds and 20. I would alternated between these or mix them up:

1. After a 5 minutes walk, I would sprint for 20 seconds (all out) then walk for 40 seconds. I started at 15 intervals and then worked up to 20. After 20 of those I was toast.

2. I got a trash can lid and put a 45 in it. I would then get down and push it for the above times, but I may be wrong and might of just done a 45/15 split.

3. Kettle Bells. I used these as well and would do swings, cleans, cleans and presses, etc. It didn't impede my weight training since I went light and went go for speed. I actually got stronger. I don't know if this would be a good idea for 5/3/1 though.

4. Heavy Bag kicking and boxing drills. I would do jumping jacks during the "rest" phase. I got this from Gary Strydom. He said he would go crazy on his bag in the basement and then go outside and get looks from the neighbors. He said, They probably thought he was beating someone...lol.
                              1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
                              2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
                              2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
                              2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
                              2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
                              2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
                              Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Working...
                              X