Training Log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training Log

Saw a bunch of the WBB'ers keeping logs over here. Wouldn't hurt to double up. Always enjoy this site and check it on a daily basis. I just don't have much to offer in the ways of advice compared to the rest of the solid members here.

Anyway, on the 5 waves of Juggernaut right now. Competing at IPA raw nationals on 8/20/11. BW is 240 lbs. I am about 10 months removed from surgery to re-attach my left bicep. Did one meet already since, in April. Did better than expected there, but am only actually starting to feel strong again now. And, I have a ways to go.

Sunday 7/10

Bench
    Bar x 8
    95 x 5
    135 x 3
    185 x 2

200 x 5 x 5
    200 x 9

Pulldowns
    160 lb stack x 8 x 6

Dips
    BW x 10 x 3

Modified Prone Rows
    60's x 8 x 4
    60's x 12

Tri Ext/BB Curl Superset
    80/60 x 10 x 3

15 minutes stretching

7/12

Deads
    135 x 8, 5
    225 x 5
    315 x 3
    365 x 1

385 x 5 x 5
    385 x 11

Modified GM on the V-Squat
    Worked up to 3 pps x 5 x 5
    Curling bro was in the squat rack

Calves- DC Inspired
    Seated Calf
    PPS x 7 + 6 more reps
    Don't like this machine for this movement. Won't use it again or will just do straight set next time

Hanging Leg Raises
    5 x 10

15 minutes stretching

Matt
    Use code MWR170 to save money on your order at TrueProtein.com.

Subbed.

Matt, can you please tell me what you do to keep your back healthy? I am having back issues again and dropped both squats/deads from my routine temporarily until it feels better. Pain outside gym is 0 to 1 out of 10...as soon as I hold weights, however, it feels very weak like I can't support the weight. It is also difficult to arch...I am 99% sure I simply strained it, since there is no shooting pain. I have recently begun foam rolling my IT band only, mainly because I am not sure what else to foam roll that is effective. What is your stretching/rolling routine?

Comment

Mike, I will provide a detailed answer a little later on tonight. I'll also include a little synopsis of my training since starting juggs if anyone is interested.

7/14/11

Overhead Press- Might be my favorite training day right now.
      Bar x 8, 5
      85 x 3
      115 x 2

135 x 5 x 5
      135 x 9

Bent Over Rows- 230 Training Max
      135 x 5

150 x 5
      175 x 5
      195 x 14

Chins
      4 x 5
      1 x 8

During the first 4 sets supersetted in 4 sets of 12 side db laterals with the 20's

Pushdown/Hammer Curl Superset
      25 lb stack(this stack feels very heavy)/35's and then 25's
      5 sets. Rep breakdown was 20/15, 20/15, 20/12, 15/12, 15/20

15 minutes stretching.

Comment

Ok, so to add on to this a bit. After I returned to the gym following surgery I started extremely light with everything and just did madcow 5x5 from the end of October until the beginning of April prior to the meet I competed in. My last sets of 5 completed were 415 squat, 235 bench, and 465 deadlift. I blew the projected maxes away in the meet for the squat and dead, and just went under with the bench, but it felt like there was some room to spare there. My main focus at that time was not re-injuring my arm.

So I used the training numbers to start the Jugg cycle. In the 10's realization I did 185 bench for 19, 330 squat for 16, 125 OH press for 15, and 375 dead for 16. For the 8's realization it was 220 bench for 12, 380 squat for 13, 145 OH Press for 12, and 420 dead for 12. 5 numbers are 240, 425, 165, and 465 respectively. 8 is the minimal goal for all 4, but the dead and squat should be at least 10 when it is all said and done. After this phase, I will do a week to hit openers, de-load a bit, and it will be meet time.

Comment

Mike,

I try to do a few mobility exercises every day, but always at least on training days. I don't do much rolling, but from time to time use my tennis ball roller. If I do that, it is just up and down, and side to side on my lower back and hip areas.

I will try to describe what I do. I lay on the floor with my feet close to my behind. I arch my back as hard as I can(like squatting) for a count to 15, count 5, then do it again for another 15. Then with my hips I aggressively try to bring my belly button through the floor. That is 15, 5, and 15 as well. Then I do a bridge for a count of 15, then extend my right leg(maintaining that bridge) out for a count of 15, switch to the left leg for 15, back to right, back to left, and finish with a bridge. Lower back goes back on the floor and I swing my knees and hips side to side. 10 times each side. Then I lift my feet off the floor and do that same thing. After this I sit up like an L. I rest on my hands and push my butt off the floor, so I am supported only by my palms and back of my heels. Then I kick my right leg straight up 8 times activating my glutes and then my left 8 times.

For stretching I do upper body first and lower body, always after lifting. First I go in the cable station and hold each side with my arms. Then I just fall forward, holding on to the supports. All stretches are a 15 count, with a 5 count break between. Next I hang from the chin bar and try to open up the lats. After that single arm chest stretch, single arm back stretch, and single arm across shoulder stretch. Then I do the behind the back shoulder stretch(like the dc one), switch palms down to stretch the bis, and then do the tricep dc stretch(just the stretch, not holding it for 60 seconds).

Lower body is lay on the floor and stretch each quad. I just pull my ankle up to my butt. Next is pull each knee towards my chest. After this it is each leg across the body. Then I put my ankle on my opposite knee and then push supported knee away from me with my hand. Really stretches the hips. Last lying stretch is legs over the head(yoga type stretch. Sit up and do spinal twists to each side. Then bend foward and grab toes. It is extremely important with each hamstring stretch to arch like you are squatting. Legs apart and then same stretch. To each leg individually, then a hurdler stretch to each leg, and finish off with a butterfly stretch. Sometimes I will do a standing touch the toes stretch(this will be 1 set between 30-60 seconds).

I suggest always sleeping with a pillow betwen your leg, or with your top leg hanging over the bed. Either always sleep on your side or back. You know my stance on training with a belt. Make sure you are training your abs correctly and enough. And, get up and walk around during the day at work. If you are at your desk for any extended period of time, move around.

Hope that helps.
          Last edited by Lifer; 07-14-2011, 09:42 PM.

Comment

7/17/11
            Squats
            Bar x 8, 5
            135 x 5
            225 x 5
            315 x 2

350 x 5 x 5
            350 x 8. Belt

Horizontal Calf Press- DC Inspired
            210 lb stack x 11 + 6 straight reps

Decline Crunches
            5 x 12

15 minutes stretching.

Comment

Solid work today man, looking good.
              …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

Thanks for the writeup, I can't quite visualize all what you wrote, but I will try tonight.

Comment

Sorry Mike, it was the best I could do.
                  Thanks for stopping in Mark!

7/19/11

Bench
                  Bar x 8
                  95 x 5
                  135 x 5

185 x 2
                  205 x 2
                  220 x 5 x 3
                  220 x 9

Pulldowns
                  180 lb stack x 6 x 4
                  120 lb stack x 12 x 2

BW Dips
                  15, 15, 12

Modified Prone Rows
                  70's x 8 x 4
                  70's x 12

Tri Ext/BB Curl Super Set
                  90/70 x 10 x 3

15 minutes stretching

Comment

Deads
                    Have been training alone recently, but had a new guy at the gym jump in with me. Seems keen on training at least during the week, so will see how it goes.
                    135 x 8, 5
                    225 x 5
                    315 x 3

355 x 2
                    400 x 2
                    425 x 5 x 3
                    425 x 10

GM's
                    135 x 8
                    155 x 5 x 2
                    185 x 5

Seated Toe Press- DC Inspired
                    4 pps + 25 ps x 8 + 6

Hanging Leg Raises
                    12, 12, 12, 10, 10

15 minutes stretching

Comment

7/24

OH Press
                      Bar x 8, 5
                      75 x 5
                      105 x 3

125 x 2
                      140 x 2
                      150 x 5 x 3
                      150 x 6

Rows
                      135 x 5, 3

160 x 3
                      185 x 3
                      205 x 10

Chins/Side DB Laterals
                      BW/25's x 5/12 x 4
                      Chins BW x 10

Pushdowns/Hammer Curls
                      30 lb stack/40's x 15/12 x 3
                      X 15/10 x 2

15 minutes stretching

Comment

Nice deads man. What kind of numbers are you looking to lift in the meet?
                        Check out www.trueprotein.com and use my Trueprotein promo code to save 5%on everything, and 10% when you order 16+ lbs: KEG730

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want most for what they want at the moment." Anonymous

My Training Log: http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthr...=35632&page=4l

Comment

I will have a better idea after this upcoming realization phase. Right now I am thinking of openers of 450, 265, and 540.

Comment

7/26

Squats
                            Bar x 8
                            95 x 5
                            165 x 5
                            255 x 3

325 x 2
                            360 x 2
                            Added belt
                            385 x 5 x 3
                            385 x 9

Lying Hamstring Curl
                            110 lb stack x 10, 10, 8

Horizontal Calf Press- DC Inspired
                            230 lb stack x 9+6

Decline Sit ups
                            BW x 12 x 5

Stretch 10 minutes

Comment

7/28

Bench-ok day, but was expecting a little better
                              Bar x 8, 5
                              95 x 5

140 x 5
                              170 x 3
                              200 x 2
                              210 x 1 paused
                              225 x 1 paused
                              240 x 8. Just missed 9. Would have been happy with 10
                              275 x 1. Paused. Just wanted to see how this felt while fatiqued. Tricep strength is surprisingly ok.

Pulldowns
                              200 lb stack x 5 x 2, 160 lb stack x 8 x 2, 120 lb stack x 12 x 2

Dips
                              + 10 x 12, + 25 x 8 x 2

Modified Prone Rows
                              80's x 6 x 4
                              80's x 10

Tri Ext/BB Curl Superset
                              100/80 x 8 x 3

15 minutes stretching

Comment

Working...
                              X