Clear All

• Allan's Road to Redemption DC Style

Just some background info:

Years training: 6

Years "real" training: Approx. 3

Training Style: DC

Height - 5'9

Weight - 171.2lbs (May 3)

Just turned 26 years of age in April. Got into weight training at 18 when I graduated high school. Weighed around 150-160lbs in high school. I was a skinny fat kid and I wanted to change that look. Mainly to get chicks initially lol First few years recreational, spent way too much time at GNC looking for the best weight gainer, supplement, etc. Had my weight balloon as high as 230lbs (I would imagine 20-25% bf). Skinny fat kid turned into just a fat kid... haha Was never serious training until probably early-mid 2007 when I learned about proper eating and training.

Just finished my first show April 30th and got my ass handed to me at 162.8lbs at Welterweight coming in 7th out of 8th. Very stiff class and got my ass handed on a silver platter. I was clearly outclassed in every single way. Very disappointing and humbling. Blew my conditioning Friday afternoon (my fault) and came in flat and lost most of my details which made me look even more out of place. Even if I didn't screw it up, I would not have done any better then maybe 6th. I definitely look like I didn't belong on stage. Probably could have lost 10lbs or so as well to be properly in shape. Dieted with Shelby, great diet, but I just didn't have enough muscle and showed up too fat to start (202lbs). I have worked off and on with Shelby since about 2008, did a lean gain, progressive diet, and contest diet with him. Has helped me tons.

The plan now is to make some serious changes to my physique before stepping on stage again. I promised myself I NEVER want to feel the sense of disappointment I felt that Saturday after the show from getting my ass handed to me. The tentative goal is take a year and a half off and pack on some serious muscles and redeem myself in 2013 (or longer if need be to fill out) as a welterweight. I am a lifetime natural, not that it makes a difference.

I started training DC in about end of 2007 I believe. Will continue doing DC as I really enjoy it and feel I've made my best gains on it. Training wise I did 2way split since I started DC and tried out 3way for a blast leading up to my prep with Shelby and continued throughout. Gonna start my first blast on my 3way blast and see how it goes but may go back to 2 way as looking back through the logbooks seems like it may have been a bit better in terms of strength gains. However, I had battled some shoulder and knee injuries in 2010 so that may have hampered my gains.

The purpose of this journal is to log everything from now until 2013... or whenever my next contest may be so I am accountable and hopefully be able to look back and say I was able to make big changes in my physique and redeemed myself.

So thus begins my ROAD TO REDEMPTION!!!
    Last edited by Allan; 05-12-2011, 07:48 PM.
    SABBA Novice - 7th Welterweight

Blast #1

Weight - 171.2lbs (3 days post contest)

A1:

Smith Incline (11-15rp)
    Smith Military (15-20rp)
    Tricep Extension (20-30rp)

B1:

Wide Grip Cable Curls with Lat Pulldown bar (must touch chin to count - 20-30rp)
    Reverse Cable Curls
    Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns (15-20rp)
    Racks (6-9, 10-15)

C1:

Standing Calf Raises (10-15)
    Leg Curls (must touch ass to count - 20-30rp)
    Squats (10-12, 6-9)

A2:

Smith Decline (11-15rp)
    DB Military (slow Jason Wojo Style - 20-30rp)
    Close grip Bench (15-20rp)

B2:

EZ Bar Spide Drag Curls (20-30rp)
    Reverse Cable Curls
    Rack Chins (15-20rp)
    Deads (6-9, 10-12)

C2:

Leg Press Calves (10-15)
    Sumo Press (15-20)
    Vertical Machine Squats (10-12, 6-9)

A3:

Hammer Strength Incline (with 1 sec pause Shelby Starnes style - 11-20rp)
    Machine Military (15-20rp)
    Reverse Grip Bench (15-20rp)

B3:

Spider Curl on vertical side of preacher bench (20-30rp)
    Reverse Cable Curl
    Hammer Rows (15-20rp)
    T-Bar 1.5 (10-15)

C3:

Donkey Calve Raises (10-15)
    Parillo Deads (20-30)
    Hacks (10-12, 6-9)

Cardio: 3x30minutes on off days preferably empty stomach

Trying lots of new things in this blast:

1. Checking ego at the door and changing techniques to some of my lifts to ensure full ROM on ones that I've started to get away from, slowing down the negatives, ass to ground squats (never done more then parallel before so this will be rough), no bouncing, etc.

2. All forearm will be the cable reverse curls as Dante says that's the best forearm growth and my arms suck and especially forearms. Always been tiny, need to change.

3. Leg widowmakers will be done on leg press

4. Changing bicep range to 20-30 instead of 10-20 before to see if I can shock some growth

5. Quiet a few exercises that I'm using so will get some time used to them. All bicep movements I've never used except for Drag curls briefly for a blast.

6. May try some of the widowmakers for other bodyparts that Dante has mentioned throughout the years during this blast.

7. Using overhand grip for all back thickness exercises. This will be huge, always used over under since I ever touched a weight. But just a disaster waiting to happen with snapped bicep tendon. I imagine my weights will suffer as I build my grip/forearm strength... or lack thereof currently
    Last edited by Allan; 05-08-2011, 04:39 AM.

Comment

May 3 - A1

Smith Incline - 205x8rp

Smith Military - 140x19rp

Machine Lateral WM - 25x33/10partials/30sec hold

Machine Tricep Extension - 230x26rp

Machine Assisted Dips WM - 120 x 30

Felt good first day back. Dropped my weights, checked the ego, and made sure from now on really controlled 2-3second negatives and no bounce. Inclines were a disappointment.

Both WM were brutal, especially the machine lateral one. Hope I'm not going too WM happy lol
      Last edited by Allan; 05-08-2011, 04:40 AM.

Comment

May 4 - 30 minutes cardio on treadmill

May 5 - B1

Lat Pulldowns - 180x22rp

Rope Cable Row (Shelby Starnes style) WM - 45x24

Racks - 275 x 3, 245 x 5, 225 x 15

Reverse Cable curls - 20x16 (right), 20x17 (left)

Pulldown bar Cable curls - 80 x 26rp

Machine Preacher WM - 45 x 31

Dumbass me did back before forearms and biceps. This changing my grip business on back movement is gonna kill me. Racks were brutal, no grip strength. Forearms and grip gave out way to early, gonna have to take time to build it up. The new bicep and forearm exercises I could really feel.
        Last edited by Allan; 05-08-2011, 04:40 AM.

Comment

May 6 - C1

Standing Calf Raises - 360x12

Leg Curls - 140x16rp (4-6 reps or so I didn't count cause I didn't touch my ass)

Squats - 155x9

Leg Press WM - 320x23

Felt a tweak on the squats in my right knee. Same knee that I had issues in 2010. Scared me right off. Hopefully it's nothing. I'll play it by ear, but I thought about it and my knee problems before started when I tried to go past parallel on squats and just had to abandon it all together cause it always caused pain. Form is good but will double check. May be stuck doing just parallel. However my legs are killing me right now, haven't felt this much soreness after legs in ages so definitely see why ass to ground squats is good if my knees will tolerate.

Comment

You still did a great job dropping all that fat, how long did that take you?

Also, why the 3-way split and why not squat widowmakers?

Comment

Nice progress! Keep blasting bro...
              SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Originally posted by Quadriceps View Post
                You still did a great job dropping all that fat, how long did that take you?

Also, why the 3-way split and why not squat widowmakers?
                Dropped about 40lbs in 18 weeks. Shelby set up a great diet for me, looked back at the log book and didn't drop more then 10lbs on any lifts and a couple I actually improved at the end of the prep. Just got too fat to begin with again, not enough muscle, and ran out of time.

I actually don't recall why I played around with the idea of 3way split. It may have been with a suggestion by Shelby to try it out (don't quote me) and I just ran with it. Plan on a 6-8 week blast to see how it goes and especially with the new exercises and reassess after. As for WM I always did whatever quad exercises I was doing that day so again this is something new I'm trying out.

Comment

Originally posted by Allan View Post
                  As for WM I always did whatever quad exercises I was doing that day so again this is something new I'm trying out.
                  Will you be doing a squatting WM on another day?

Comment

Originally posted by zalex999 View Post
                    Will you be doing a squatting WM on another day?
                    No, trying out all WM strictly with leg press and trying to beat it each time.

However, I have been thinking/reading and may even just switch back to 2way since my biggest thing I need to worry about right now is just put on big slabs of muscle

Comment

Originally posted by Allan View Post
                      No, trying out all WM strictly with leg press and trying to beat it each time.

However, I have been thinking/reading and may even just switch back to 2way since my biggest thing I need to worry about right now is just put on big slabs of muscle
                      x2. there are probally other programs better suited for you at this point than the 2 way...

edit i dont mean to sound like an ass as you have done a great job with diet etc but i think most people on this board would steer you in another direction.
                      Last edited by lhart6272; 05-08-2011, 01:17 PM.
                      Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
                      -John Ceasar

Comment

^^^ None taken, you learn more from criticism/critique then praise. In general I would rather people tell me what I need to work on and what I suck at then what I'm good at. That's the nature I am in life, you don't learn from praise.

I'm pretty set on continuing DC since that's what I've been doing and would say I've done well really improving my lifts. However, I am going back to the 2way split and "put my time under the bar". Toyed with that 3way and looking back my gains weren't nearly as good as the 2way. Talked with Shelby today and he suggested the same thing to go back 2way. Adding a extra cardio day of 30 minutes to take the place of the 4th training day.

Current supplements:

Multivitamin
                        Calcium
                        Omega-3
                        Evening Primrose Oil
                        Whey
                        Waxy Maize
                        Creatine
                        BCAA
                        Beta Alanine

Nothing earth shattering, just the basics.
                        Last edited by Allan; 05-09-2011, 12:09 AM.

Comment

May 7 - 30 minutes treadmill

May 8 - 30 minute treadmill

Weight: 174.4lbs

Revised Blast #1 - 2 way

A1:

Smith Decline
                          DB Military
                          GC Smith Bench
                          Rack Chins
                          Deads

B1:

EZ Bar Spider Drag Curl
                          Reverse Cable Curl
                          Leg Press Calf Raises
                          Sumo Presses
                          Vertical Squat Machine

A2:

Pec Deck Push Press
                          Machine Military
                          Smith Reverse Grip Bench PRess
                          Reverse Grip Lat Pulldowns
                          T-Bar 1.5 Rows

B2:

Spider Curls on Preacher Bench
                          Seated Forearm Curls (The same ones Shelby does on a YouTube Video)
                          Donkey Calf Raises
                          Parillo Deads
                          Hacks

A3:

Smith Incline Press
                          Smith Military Press
                          Machine Tricep Extension
                          Lat Pulldowns
                          Racks

B3:

WG Cable Curls (With Lat pulldown bar)
                          Hammer Curls
                          Standing Calf Raises
                          Leg Curls
                          Squats

WM sets on the quad stuff with the Leg Press as that's one thing I wanna still try. Everything else is back to the basics.

Comment

May 9/11 - A1

Smith Decline: 235x12rp

DB Military: 50x14rp

GC BP: 185x15rp

Rack Chins: 35x22rp

Deads: 225x5, 135x15

Abs

First day of the 2way blast. Felt great, really ego check though. I'm slowing the negatives down by 1second vs before and it really kicks your ass. The declines felt like my chest wanted to pop. The Jason Wojo style slow DB Military touching down on shoulders for it to count really sucks, that extra 2-3" ROM really kills you. The worst thing is not using over-under grip on the back thickness stuff, I had to readjust my grip twice on that 225 set. Never used anything but over-under since I started training since I could pull a lot more weight. My grip strength sucks, gonna take a little time to build that up and hopefully for the better in the long run. Hoping it can also lead to some forearm growth too.

Comment

Working...
                            X