"The multiplying of forces
    The multiplying of voices
    No more neglecting our choices
    Can you smell their fear?
    Pledge your undying allegiance
    Bear the cross for your actions
    Now our time is much nearer
    We are tearing them limb by limb"

I kept a journal about a year ago, now I think it's time to start updating again.

I have now competed 3 times here in Ontario (under IPF rules). I've been following Wendler 5-3-1 since the spring, and I'm making good progress. I've recently modified parts of the program to work on my specific weaknesses. Ie I've only been benching for 1 year. I need to bench more!

Here are a couple of vids from my first meet. There are more vids on the way, including a 485 squat from my Ottawa meet!

http://www.youtube.com/vhguy#p/u/3/lcCYbUZFhn4

http://www.youtube.com/vhguy#p/u/2/xl3V6KFSucM

I've ordered a bench shirt which should be here this week, as well as some Oly shoes. I'll be ordering a squat suit this week as well!

Anyways, here's some journal-age:

(accessory work not included here...I sound like an action figure ad!)

Tuesday

Mainlift: Flat Bench 250x5

Wednesday

Mainlift: Goodmorning (can't deadlift due to a hand injury) 315x10

-Knees bent slightly, with a belt

Friday

Mainlift: Work up to max reps on bench

225 for a measly 11.

Sunday

I got called into work on Saturday. There were no gyms open after work ugh.

Mainlift: Squat 430 x5

This was a big PR for me, as it was my former competition max at the beginning of summer!!

As you can see, my routine is getting further away from Wendler's plan. I followed it strictly from the spring until a month or so ago. Since then, I've incorporated a second bench day and replaced Deadlifts with goodmornings due to injury -- I just can't grip a lot of weight right now.

In the following weeks I'll be doing much more lift specific work (and less accessory work), learning to incorporate the equipment I've bought.
    Music
    ...Perhaps the only professional musician/powerlifter in existence?

KILL DIVISION: my workout journal

Monday

Flat bench 250x4 reps

CG Floor press 185 x 4 x 8

Neutral grip chinup 5x10

BB Standing shoulder press 95 x 3 x10. I never go too hard on these, just trying to keep the shoulders flexible by working this particular motor pattern.

I'm going away for the 2nd half of the week. Tomorrow I'm planning on hitting some Row variations and shrugs, followed by a ME bench/squat day on Wednesday!
    Last edited by ON-fit; 08-09-2010, 08:50 PM.
    Music

Comment

You did the Ottawa Open on July 17....
      "You can't be the fastest or the strongest but you can always work the hardest." - Jim Wendler

"Failing is nothing more than inexperience" - Jim Wendler

"You won't have to rotate squats and deadlifts, but do them both and thus get more fucking awesome every week" - cooltom

Comment

Yessir.

Were you there?
        Music

Comment

Yes sir
          "You can't be the fastest or the strongest but you can always work the hardest." - Jim Wendler

"You won't have to rotate squats and deadlifts, but do them both and thus get more fucking awesome every week" - cooltom

Comment

Did we meet? hahaha

There were some big boys there....
            Music

Comment

Some vids from the July 17 meet in Ottawa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih-ZiGR3Qhw

I was a little bit bummed this one didn't count. Mark gave it to me from the side, the other two judges didn't. Ah well! Next time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih-ZiGR3Qhw
              Music

Comment

Just checked the results!

690 total, eh? Very nice my friend!
                Music

Comment

If I can give some advice....

Your walk-out takes too long. It should be the least about of steps possible.

Once you're there. Just take your breath and squat. Think about how long you had that bar on your back.

Also descend faster.

Comment

Thanks, I'll keep those in mind. It's nice to get some pointers from someone more experienced. I really need to pay someone for coaching.

I never really thought about the walkout until now. Less steps, starting tomorrow!

A quicker descent will allow for more force applied via the stretch reflex, correct? I have such a bloody difficult time finding depth sometimes....

I'll keep practicing
                    Music

Comment

Originally posted by ON-fit View Post
                      Thanks, I'll keep those in mind. It's nice to get some pointers from someone more experienced. I really need to pay someone for coaching.

I never really thought about the walkout until now. Less steps, starting tomorrow!

A quicker descent will allow for more force applied via the stretch reflex, correct? I have such a bloody difficult time finding depth sometimes....

I'll keep practicing
                      Yes. And if you go fast enough you won't need to figure out depth, you'll get there every time. It takes awhile to get used to. If your hips are as tight as they should be, you can't actually break with anything less than 315 (for instance).

Know what I mean?

Comment

Gotcha, thanks Phillipe!

I picked up a bench shirt yesterday that was way too tight. Know any 82.5 lifters looking to sell equipment?
                        Music

Comment

How too tight, it shouldn't be easy to put on

If you can get it on your fine

Comment

It was a used shirt, I couldn't get 365 to touch 3 boards. Also, I couldn't get it seated in the armpit correctly.

I talked to Louis from Titan and he said it was a very ambitious shirt to start with, based on both tightness and the design (a 42 super katana). I want an F6 or Fury.

Know anyone who wears a 38 squat suit they need to get rid of?
                            Last edited by ON-fit; 08-14-2010, 08:54 PM.
                            Music

Comment

Had to front-load the training for this week, due to visiting a hot Russian lady in another town. I'm updating from the train right now (on my way home)....

Monday

Bench press -- Worked up to 260 x 4 reps

Close Grip Floor Press -- 185 x 5 x 8

Standing Military -- 95 x 3 x10 (staying light on these...just trying to maintain mobility)

BW Neutral grip pull up 5x10

Tuesday

Accessory work for back:

5x10 seated rows
                              5x10 facepulls

I like to do heavy DB rows, but I sprained the shit out of my pinky at Ottawa. None of that for now....

Wednesday

Squat --Worked up to 460 x 3 with 2m knee wraps and belt
                              Bench press -- tried my new shirt out. The distributor said that I'll need 365+ to make this shirt touch. I couldn't make 365 touch 3 boards (I have large arms for an 82.5 kg lifter).

I got some Oly shoes in the mail on Wednesday!! I tried my buddy's for squatting and they seemed to feel good. Gonna give these a try this week.

http://www.kanamahp.ca/store/shoes
                              Music

Comment

Working...
                              X