Jeff's 5/3/1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff's 5/3/1

Alright I am back on the journal. After trying serveral different programs in the last few months and hating all of them, I have found the 5/3/1 to be the best for me, as it does not require me to think. I simply have to put my numbers into a spreadsheet, and then lift the shit. I am definately interested in learning as much as I can about powerlifting, and would love to one day do a meet.

I can't wait to get started with some heavy weight and see where this takes me. This is my second wave of 5/3/1, my first week back from my first deload.

--------------------------------------
    Here are my numbers:
    90% of estimated Max's

Squat 270lbs
    Bench 215lbs
    Dead 375lbs
    SoP 155lbs
    (After doing bench sets)
    ---------------------------------------------------

Wave 2-
    Week 5

Pause Bench
    warmup sets
    135x5
    155x5
    175x5+ (12 reps)

SoP
    warmup sets
    95x5
    110x5
    125x5+ (11 reps)

Accessory Work:
    Incline Bench (2 sets)
    DB Mil Press (2 sets)
    Dips (2 sets)
    Tri Extensions (2 sets)
    Lateral Raises (2 sets)

note: My training partner and I are in a contest on Animalpak.com starting in April. This contest will have us doing a type of training called HRT training. It was designed by a powerlifter. We were basically trying out some of the methods of this training day after the workout. I will still be continuing the 5/3/1 during this time, and if recovery is an issue, I'll back off on the number of exercises I do. 5/3/1 is my priority.
    Last edited by Jeff Grant; 03-22-2010, 12:19 AM.
    It takes work to get things done, but in reality not getting things done is a lot more painful. -Knickerbocker24

Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? Fuck you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit. -Jim Wendler

My 5/3/1 Journal

What is SoP? You don't have military presses in there, is SoP supposed to be a replacement? Good idea with 5/3/1, if you stick with the program you will get stronger.
    Check out www.trueprotein.com and use my Trueprotein promo code to save 5%on everything, and 10% when you order 16+ lbs: KEG730

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want most for what they want at the moment." Anonymous

My Training Log: http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthr...=35632&page=4l

Comment

Originally posted by sdotcarter View Post
      What is SoP? You don't have military presses in there, is SoP supposed to be a replacement? Good idea with 5/3/1, if you stick with the program you will get stronger.
      Sop=Standing Overhead Press

Jeff-Good luck with the 5/3/1, I decided to go back to it also, tkaes the guesswork out, that's what I need. Westside was just too much thinking. I think all day at work, when I get home I just want to kill the weights
      For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Originally posted by DCBliever View Post
        Sop=Standing Overhead Press

Jeff-Good luck with the 5/3/1, I decided to go back to it also, tkaes the guesswork out, that's what I need. Westside was just too much thinking. I think all day at work, when I get home I just want to kill the weights
        Thanks for checking out my journal man. Yeah, I work full time, in school fulltime, and preparing to be a father to twin girls. I find it much easier to focus my attiention on one big set each day, and give that set my all. Plus, I'm just sick of not moving heavy ass weight! I know 5/3/1 will get us there. Good luck with your training too.
        It takes work to get things done, but in reality not getting things done is a lot more painful. -Knickerbocker24

Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? Fuck you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit. -Jim Wendler

My 5/3/1 Journal

Comment

My wife was admitted to the hospital yesterday for neurocardiogenic syncope. She should be released tonite sometime. If I can, I'll get my workout in tonite when she's home. If not, it'll be tomorrow...

My 5/3/1 Journal

Comment

Wave 2-
            Week 5

Floor Deads
            warmup sets
            215x5
            250x5
            285x5+ (22 reps) *Simply ran out of breath to do more

Accessory Work:
            4 sets chins... BW Neutral 10,8 Wide 7,5
            4 sets machine T-bar rows, then out.

My wife just got out of the hospital last nite, had another ultrasound OB appt today (every 2 weeks now), and I work the next 2 12hr night shifts at the hospital. Had to be a quickie today.

I'm not really sure what to make of me getting 22 reps with 285... I don't want to jump the gun and up my numbers if that would work against me, but don't want to keep underdoing it either. Also, my training buddy suggested we move SOP over to leg or back day... I'm progressing fine, but he says he's burnt out from benching and wants to switch it.

I welcome suggestions Thanks guys.
            Last edited by Jeff Grant; 03-18-2010, 05:11 PM.

My 5/3/1 Journal

Comment

About time Jeff!

I still don't see how you got to 22 reps, the guys at the gym all tell me I'm crazy for doing 12s and stuff lol they'd die if they saw that.
              Want to save 5% or 10% on your entire order at www.trueprotein.com
              Use discount code JHN125

Come watch me progress in my 5/3/1 journal!

Comment

Originally posted by 7_Deadly_Sins View Post
                About time Jeff!

I still don't see how you got to 22 reps, the guys at the gym all tell me I'm crazy for doing 12s and stuff lol they'd die if they saw that.
                I know... its pretty ridiculous. I went off 90% of a Max dead of 405 Which is 355 I believe. I think I'm going to bump my my Max by 20 lbs and see what that does to the numbers.

It definately did feel like cardio though... it took me a few minutes to catch my breath after that craziness. I just was pumped about being back in the gym, and felt like kickin some ass...

My 5/3/1 Journal

Comment

22 repper sounds tough.
                  PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

Originally posted by RedSkull View Post
                    22 repper sounds tough.
                    Besides the dizziness, rapid heart rate, and bcaa's I nearly puked out my nose, it really wasn't all that bad

My 5/3/1 Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Grant View Post
                      Wave 2-
                      Week 5

Floor Deads
                      warmup sets
                      215x5
                      250x5
                      285x5+ (22 reps) *Simply ran out of breath to do more

Accessory Work:
                      4 sets chins... BW Neutral 10,8 Wide 7,5
                      4 sets machine T-bar rows, then out.

My wife just got out of the hospital last nite, had another ultrasound OB appt today (every 2 weeks now), and I work the next 2 12hr night shifts at the hospital. Had to be a quickie today.

I'm not really sure what to make of me getting 22 reps with 285... I don't want to jump the gun and up my numbers if that would work against me, but don't want to keep underdoing it either. Also, my training buddy suggested we move SOP over to leg or back day... I'm progressing fine, but he says he's burnt out from benching and wants to switch it.

I welcome suggestions Thanks guys.
                      Nice workout, I would just add the standard 10lbs maybe 20lbs., Just keep hitting those rep PR's but don't smoke you CNS at the expense of an extra rep.
                      For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Wave 2-
                        Week 5

Squats
                        warmup sets
                        170x5
                        195x5
                        220x5+ (12 reps... shitty)

Accessory Work:
                        Squats (4x10) 135lbs for 10; 145lbs for 3x of 10.
                        Leg Extensions (2x20) 60lbs for 20, 70lbs for 17.
                        Leg Press Calves (4x20) 3pps+10lb for 20,20,17,12.
                        Decline Weighted Situps (4x15) 25lbs for 15,17,15,4.

*I didn't use a belt on any of the sets. I want a strong back, so I was thinking dumping the belt. I think going from wearing the belt, to not wearing the belt, had me squatting a lot deeper than I normally do. It definately robbed me of some reps. Maybe I'll just use the belt on my final set of the day from now on...

**I also think my back is still pretty shot from the high rep deads the other day... probably overdid it a bit. Good call DCB

My 5/3/1 Journal

Comment

How was your strength gains on your first wave on the big 4 exercises?
                          Check out www.trueprotein.com and use my Trueprotein promo code to save 5%on everything, and 10% when you order 16+ lbs: KEG730

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want most for what they want at the moment." Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by sdotcarter View Post
                            How was your strength gains on your first wave on the big 4 exercises?
                            So far, so good bud. Thanks for checking my journal..

After 1 Wave:

Bench: 170lbs for 10 reps --> 175lbs for 12 reps
                            Squat: 210lbs for 9 reps --> 220lbs for 12 reps
                            Dead: 275lbs for 12-15 reps (didn't write down) --> 285lbs for 22 reps
                            SoP (after bench...changing this up): 120lbs for 5 reps --> 125lbs for 12 reps

-I added 20lbs to my deadlift max after that 22 repper.
                            -I'm going to be doing SoP before deads, so I might up the max for that depending on my reps this week.

Can't wait to get some big numbers up...

My 5/3/1 Journal

Comment

Nicely done Jeff. I'm starting 5/3/1 again. DC will go on the back burner for a while. I'm gonna do a Raw Meet in June.

Comment

Working...
                              X