Assisted Pullups
    Bodyweight x 2+6, bw+50 x 2+6, bw+100 3+6, bw+160 x 3+6
    ZMRS attempted here
    Biceps
    Hammer Strength Preacher Curls
    100lbs x 7+8, 75 x 6+8, 50 x 4+8, 25 x 6+8
    High Cable Curls Two Arm
    65lbs x 3+6, 45 x 4+6, 25 x 4+6

Notes: I went to quad drops on most exercises as I feel I am still progressing and could possibly handle more of a workload.
    I will never again use pullups in this training style as I canno get nearly enough repetitions.
    ZMRs will be used only on the equipment which I can perfrom reps with the weight stack as an intensity technique for the rest of this first phase.

-Matt Cena
    Last edited by Genetix; 08-04-2006, 10:02 PM.
    www.mattcena.com

Comment

Are you using ZMR's on the pull-ups?
      "Intensity is finite, volume is finite, weights are infinite." - DC

"Everyone seems to think having a strict diet is hardcore. Wrong! It’s so easy. There is no strain or effort. You just follow the damn diet! Hardcore is stuffing your face to the point where you feel like you’re going to pop and then going to get a milkshake." --Dave "Fuckin'" Tate

Get 5% OFF at trueprotein.com with Discount Code: BTR777

Formerly El_Animal

Comment

I tried to, which resulted in a drastic drop of repetitions from where I expected to be. As a result during my BFT programs I will no longer be performing pullups.
        www.mattcena.com

Comment

Went crazy on the pullovers! Very nice workout!

Comment

maybe Rack Chins would be a good alternative to pullups. Lighter resistance (obviously) and they isolate the lats a bit better (no way of cheating).
            PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

I will give those a try next workout, rack chins it is! I can't wait for back now.

Today is Quads Hamstrings and Calves. I will be heading to the gym a little after 12 to meet with my regular training partner and a friend of ours whom we have formerly trained with, he has no idea what he is getting himself into. The best part of it all is that he was saying last night how he would be able to go through anything with that "You know me Cena, I can train with the best of them. Whatever you guys got I am sure I'll be able to do it wthout a problem."
              Give me around three hours and I will post the results.

-Matt Cena
              www.mattcena.com

Comment

Well legs will be tommorow as BOTH partners for the day backed out and I could not find anyone in the gym who was competent or willing to assist me in about eighty forced reps for leg extensions and more on presses and squats. I got agrivated and left the gym.
                I will train legs tommorow regardless and may implement the rest pause theory if I can't find anybody to help me tommorow. Take care.

-matt cena
                www.mattcena.com

Comment

Sometimes you just ogtta do what you can Matt. Kick ass tomorrow.
                  "Intensity is finite, volume is finite, weights are infinite." - DC

"Everyone seems to think having a strict diet is hardcore. Wrong! It’s so easy. There is no strain or effort. You just follow the damn diet! Hardcore is stuffing your face to the point where you feel like you’re going to pop and then going to get a milkshake." --Dave "Fuckin'" Tate

Get 5% OFF at trueprotein.com with Discount Code: BTR777

Formerly El_Animal

Comment

First, I wanted to say I'm a huge fan of BFT training and therefore I'm loving your journal; keep it up. Second, I've got a couple questions if you get a chance: do you keep up this training style when competition gets closer? If so, what do you do about cardio for getting ripped, as Trevor Smith always seemed to emphasize how hard it would be to mix cardio with the training. Also, I know your not training for strength, and I'm not going to ask you something stupid like how much do you bench, but I am wondering what kind of strength gains you see with this training?

Comment

never2strong, Thanks I am glad that you are enjoying the journal.
                      When training for my last competition I did not train in true BFT fashion, I did, however, train to failure and heavy and kept that style the entire way through pretty much.
                      Cardio wise, I will find out but I believe that it would be possible to utilize cardio with the training while prepping for a contest. The training itself is brutal so in my estimation cardio would have to be performed in a seperate session.
                      My strength feels incredible. I have never used the Pectoral Fly machine with more than the stack and in these past two weeks I have added 75lbs to it. I feel the ZMR's help out as well for strength and once I get a better gauge of the weights I need to use and the drops from those I will be able to better assess my true strength increase. For lege extensions as well I was using the 250lb stack pllus a 25lb plate with my training partner pushing down on the pad last week.
                      I will post todays "Hybrid" workout tommorow when I post Chest and Calf workout as I do not have it with me. I worked out with my girlfriend who attempted the program prior to her 1hr1/2 cardio session. We did extensions and one leg curls. I will post all numbers tommorow.

-Matt Cena
                      www.mattcena.com

Comment

Sucks about not being able to find someone to help. I'm interested in how you find the rack chins...

Comment

SUnday
                          QUads and Hamstrings
                          Leg Extensions
                          100lbs x 15 wu
                          250lbs x 4+6, 150 x 3+4, 90 x 3+4*
                          250 x 3+2, 250 x 3+2, 250 x 2+2**
                          *ZMR reps used, WOW what a difference. Intense pain, I trained with my girlfriend who was nice enough to spot me and I could see the high forced reps were taking their toll on her.
                          **Rest Pause ZMR sets, good variation for intensity! These seemed easier for her to spot and they were definitely painful to perform.
                          Hamstrings
                          1 Leg Standing Curls
                          120lbs x 4+4, 80lbs x 4+4, 40 x 4+4, 20 x 10 per leg

Done. I had to improvise. I realized there was no way we would be able to do forced reps on leg press. I skipped calves because Monday is a scheduled calf day.
                          www.mattcena.com

Comment

Monday
                            Chest and Calves

Well, it happened today. I was injured during BFT training, but before the critics give me the "I told you so's" hear me out. I had just finished my set of bench presses and it was time for my training prartner to perform his second set. WHile standing next to the bench and atempting to not pass out I missed him racking the bar and requiring me to strip the weight. The other spotter yelle dover and when I went to pull the 25lb plate I dropped it right ontop of my foot directly above my ankle. I didn't get to train calves as a result because it swelled up rather nicely and quickly.
                            Here was the workout:
                            Chest
                            BodyMasters Pectoral Flyes
                            50lbs x 10 wu*
                            100lbs x 8* wu
                            200lbs x 3+6, 150 x 1+4, 100 x 2+4, 50 x 3+4*
                            200lbs x 2+6, 150 x 1+6, 100 x 1+6, 50 x 3+6*
                            *ALl sets were ZMR reps. These are very painful and very time consuming but they without a doubt get the job done! It felt like my pecs were being peeled off of my sternum. After two sets my face was covered in sweat and beet red, my eyes blood shot, and there are still two sets of presses to get done.
                            Flat Bench Board Presses
                            345lbs x 0+6, 245 x 3+6, 195 x 3+6, 145 x 2+6, 95 x 15
                            -in between these two sets is where I dropped the plate on my ankle.
                            295lbs x 1+7, 245 x 2+6, 195 x 3+5, 145 x 2+6, 95 x 10

After finishing the presses and noting that my ankle was swelling, red and in pain I decided against performing calves. Upon arriving home it was post workout shake and ice the ankle. It took about three minutes to put my boots on for work tonight but hopefully I will recover quick, shouldn't be that bad I don't think.
                            Tommorow is shoulders and triceps.

-Matt Cena
                            www.mattcena.com

Comment

Awsome work man, wish i could do board presses!! - Keep it going man!

Comment

Fuck! At least it wasn't the toe. Good workout all the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X