No announcement yet.

Genetix: Road to Redemption

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the reply Matt, I've googled it and got some info, but no steady training partner to train with so its a no go. Good luck in the offseason bro...
    "Home Grown"

Comment

You've got some very nice workouts happening man! I'll have to read more about BFT, sounds good!

(keep it going man!)

Comment

MauiBuilt, best of luck with your training and thanks for checking in.

BodyFangs, the training has been great so I can't complain. I am still trying to use the proper poundages but it does take some getting used to.

Thanks to everyone else who has checked in as well. I plan on utilizing this journal to accurately track my progress throughout the year as I prepare to compete in the 2007 Team Universe as a Heavyweight. I can only hope that those who choose to enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy writing in it.
        To all, take care and train hard.

-Matt Cena
        www.mattcena.com

Comment

Matt,

Don't listen to the haters man. Believe in whatever you're doing. If you don't I can guarantee it won't be effective. Fuck what they think. It's not their body.

Brendan
          "Intensity is finite, volume is finite, weights are infinite." - DC

"Everyone seems to think having a strict diet is hardcore. Wrong! It’s so easy. There is no strain or effort. You just follow the damn diet! Hardcore is stuffing your face to the point where you feel like you’re going to pop and then going to get a milkshake." --Dave "Fuckin'" Tate

Get 5% OFF at trueprotein.com with Discount Code: BTR777

Formerly El_Animal

Comment

I believe 100% in what I am doing. I have goals set for me throughout this year and I plan on attaining every one of them in my quest for the final goal. Saturday July 29, 2 weeks after my contest my bodyweight is at 220lbs from the 194lbs I competed at. I iwll admit it though, I listen to them just to laugh inside at how some things people firmly belive in have no rational backing and to know that these same people will be proved wrong, it's only a mtter of time.
            Here was the workout from yesterday
            Saturday
            Quadriceps, Hamstrings
            The temperature yesterday was around 90 or so and the temp in the gym was just as hot if not hotter. Hard Nock's is a small gym with no A/C, just industrial fans circulating the air. This high temperature and the though of BFt training for legs was going to make for a very painful and mentally challenging day. Without any further delay, I was ready.

Warmups:
            3 sets of 12 for leg raises
            10 minutes stationary bike Level 4 at 85-90rpms
            Leg Extensions
            100lbs x 15 wu
            250lb stack x 10+8*, 170 x 4+8, 100 x 6+6
            250lb stack+25lb plate x 10+6, 170 x 4+6, 90 x 6+6
            * this set my training partned decided he was ging to lean on the extension pad every rep because I made it look too easy. I tried to explain that I would rather have actual measured weight added than have to guess how much resistance he was providing, he didn't seem too thrille dover this but agreed nonetheless
            Cybex Power Squat Presses
            1 Leg at a time
            carraiage+180lbs x 10 slow reps each leg
            Body Masters Power Squat
            270lbs x 10 slow-slow reps
            -the reps for presses and squats are performed extremely slow and controlled. without getting a definite time that elapsed I would have to guess around 10 seconds for each phase of the lift, positive then negative, so about a 20-25 second rep
            Hamstrings
            Lying Leg Curls
            Body Masters Prone Leg Curl
            200lbs x 3+6, 130 x 2+4, 60 x 15**
            150lbs x 6+2 EFRS, 90lbs x 4+2 EFRS
            ** this drop was not BFT style as no froced reps were perfomed but my partned figured since I grossly miscalculated my start weight and drop to get all the reps on my own should suffice
            EFRS were extremely painful but very effective, I almost face planted after getting out of the machine it was great.

Take Care and train hard!

-Matt Cena
            www.mattcena.com

Comment

That gym sounds hardcore Matt.

I do superslow hack squats sometimes. They're a killer.

"Everyone seems to think having a strict diet is hardcore. Wrong! It’s so easy. There is no strain or effort. You just follow the damn diet! Hardcore is stuffing your face to the point where you feel like you’re going to pop and then going to get a milkshake." --Dave "Fuckin'" Tate

Formerly El_Animal

Comment

Ah yes...
                I saw you on the Trevor Smith thread a bunch over at MM, good luck with the BFT. Sometimes it just takes that training challenge to elevate yourself and your motivation.
                Your thirst for training is very inspiring.

Comment

Awsome workout! Looks great!

Comment

Today was chest and calves. The workout was incredible and I feel completely spent. I have my journal at home and I am currently at work so I will post it later on this a.m. when I leave work.
                    Training notes: I will be switching to ZMR's a.k.a. Zero Momentum Repetitions due to the fact that the machines in the gym are becoming difficult to add all the needed resistance in order to follow the BFT training. For example today on Flyes I used 275lbs, the 200lb stack plus 2 25lb dumbells plus a 25lb plate. Next week I will reduce the weight and perform the ZMR's to increase the intensity.
                    I hope all is well with everyone's training, train hard and don't quit!

-Matt Cena
                    www.mattcena.com

Comment

Chest
                      BodyMasters Pec Fly
                      70lbs x 15 wu
                      270lbs x 3+8, 150 x 3+8, 90 x 4+8
                      275lbs x 3+8, 200lbs x 1+8, 160lbs x 3+8
                      Hammer Strength Incline Presses
                      380lbs x 1+8, 290 x 2+8, 200 x 1+8
                      230lbs x 17+8, 140 x 3+8, 90 x 6+8
                      Calves
                      Standing Calf Raises
                      105lbs x 50 wu
                      660lbs x 6, 51 x 6, 405 x 7, 300 x 7, 210 x 6, 105 x 6, bw x 10
                      660lbs x 4, 510 x 6, 405 x 5, 300 x 6, 210 x 5, 105 x 5, bw x 12

That was all. Today is shoulders and triceps I will try to post when I have finished.

-Matt Cena
                      www.mattcena.com

Comment

Originally posted by Genetix
                        Today was chest and calves. The workout was incredible and I feel completely spent. I have my journal at home and I am currently at work so I will post it later on this a.m. when I leave work.
                        Training notes: I will be switching to ZMR's a.k.a. Zero Momentum Repetitions due to the fact that the machines in the gym are becoming difficult to add all the needed resistance in order to follow the BFT training. For example today on Flyes I used 275lbs, the 200lb stack plus 2 25lb dumbells plus a 25lb plate. Next week I will reduce the weight and perform the ZMR's to increase the intensity.
                        I hope all is well with everyone's training, train hard and don't quit!

-Matt Cena
                        LOL

You're a damn MACHINE Matt!

Formerly El_Animal

Comment

Thanks Brendan, I am just trying to train as hard as I can. I have my goals for the entire year set out and I know that they will not be easy to accomplish with anything less than 100% effort.
                          Today was the first day that I implemented the ZMR's. All I can say is WOW! I was truly surprised at what a differnce this technique makes, let alone the added pain that it inflicts. All wieghts were reduced drasticaly as a result but I feel in the whole scheme of things that even with a reduction in poundages lifted the added intensity of this technique more than makes up for it. I will post the training from today later on as once again I am at work.

-Matt Cena
                          www.mattcena.com

Comment

I grabbed this from MM where chris2489 posted it in the Trevor Smith thead. It provides anyone interested the explanation of ZMR's:
                            Beyond Failure Training Intensity tips? Zero Momentum reps
                            By Trevor Smith

Ask anybody who has ever lifted weights for an appreciable time period and they will all agree that the most common question asked by the average person on the street is?."Hey?how much can you bench?"
                            I hate this question. I mean what does it have to do with the price of tea in China anyway? As if the average person will even know whether or not the numbers you tell them mean you are strong or not. Strength is a relative thing and so whenever I get asked this question, my stock reply is usually something along the lines of "A bit more than your average housewife and a lot less than your average Gorilla"
                            O.K. so where am I going with this? Actually, I am using this example to try and have you understand that weight is not all important and nor is it the only way to increase the severity and intensity of a set even with something as severe and intense as Beyond Failure Training. Let's face it, we have all seen guys in the gym cranking out reps as fast as they can and making a weight literally fly off their bodies. What I am going to suggest is that by taking a weight you could seemingly "toy with" for 15-20 reps and altering the style the reps are performed in, you will increase the intensity 10 fold and cut the number of reps you can perform down to 3-4. Together this will yield both bigger and eventually stronger muscles because you will eliminate sticking points and will not have to rely on momentum to get past them. Let's use the Bench Press as our exercise of choice for the purposes of example and explanation of Zero Momentum Reps.
                            The Bench Press is a movement that pretty much has universal sticking points for anyone that performs it. The first quarter of the movement is the most difficult because the pectoral muscles are forced to work almost exclusively until the triceps and deltoids are able to be of assistance in the last half of the movement. Now if one can get past this rather short sticking point, one can effectively incorporate assistance muscle groups like the triceps and the deltoids sooner and thus handle more weight. Now if you are a powerlifter, this is exactly what you are looking to accomplish. If you are a bodybuilder, this is not necessarily the case. Why? Because as bodybuilders, we want the bench-press to completely trash our pectorals and stimulate maximum muscle growth in that area. Now in order to get past this said sticking point and move heavier and heavier weight, explosive power and thrust is developed. Maximum exertion as quickly as possible is the name of the game. (It is this maximum exertion incidentally, that causes pectoral tendons to rupture and explode. If you successfully master the use of Zero Momentum Reps with your pressing movements, it will be impossible for you to tear muscles and or tendons.)

What is being proposed here is that you completely eliminate this explosion and thrust and make a steady, slow and controlled movement for the first quarter part of the exercise. This is the most difficult part of the Bench Press and rather then look to BI-pass it, I am suggesting that one will benefit greatly by savoring every single solitary millimeter of this part of the exercise.And this is how one would do this:
                            ZMR's (zero momentum reps) will begin with the person slowly lowering the weight down to the chest in a deliberate and controlled manner that takes approximately 2-3 seconds. Once at the bottom part of the movement, the participant should make an effort to exaggerate the stretch and have the hands go below chest level. Once there, the participant will hold for a count of three. It is at this point that the positive portion of the rep will begin. Now this gets tricky to describe without having seen it performed, but one must fight the tendency to "toss" the weight up and literally move the weight as slowly and as little as possible so that the first quarter of the movement takes 1.5-2 seconds. Once the first quarter of the rep is complete, you accelerate the pace and complete the rest of the movement where you once again will pause, this time at the top part of the movement. In this position, one should consciously cramp and squeeze the pectoral muscles together as if one were trying to hold a 5 pound plate between their pecs. After this occurs, the set continues, again with a slow and controlled descent, a pause and exaggerated stretch at the bottom and then a very slow and controlled ascent for the first quarter of the movement. This really is not rocket science, but in terms of muscle growth it will be like discovering plutonium. You will be lucky to get 4-6 reps in this manner and in many cases, 3-4, but if you understand anything about Beyond Failure Training you will know that the sooner you can get the muscle to failure, the sooner you can go Beyond Failure, and the sooner you go Beyond Failure, the sooner the set will be over and the sooner the set is over, the greater the intensity which will yield greater gains!
                            If you are serious about experiencing extreme intensity, extreme pain and eventually extreme results, give ZMR's a try. You will have to check your ego at the door and get comfortable with the idea of 100-200lbs. less with your bench but having it look and feel 100-200 times more difficult. And for those who think that you will not get strong this way understand this??You are only as strong as your weakest link??.Strengthen the weakest link and you strengthen the entire chain. After a few months you will be back up to the same poundage you were using before, except rather than throwing the weight off your chest to impress the local fitness beauty doing lunges in the corner, you will be taking a slow, solitary and unbearably excruciating dance with the Demon of Pain??.and trust me?he don't give a **** what you can bench.
                            www.mattcena.com

Comment

Yesterday's Shoulder and Triceps workout
                              Shoulders
                              Side Cable Laterals
                              45ls x 6+8, 25 x 3+8, 15 x 2+8 one arm at a time
                              Smith Machine Shoulder Presses
                              165lbs x 4+8, 115 x 2+8, 65 x 2+8
                              Tricep Extensions using Body Masters Squat
                              100lbs x 12+8, 50 x 6+8, carriage weight x 6+8
                              Body Masters Seated Tricep Press
                              270lbs x 15+8, 170lbs x 6+8, 110 x 24+8

all reps were ZMR style for shoulders, triceps were usual reps plus forced reps
                              the ZMRs really made a big difference in the amount of weight handled today.

-Matt Cena
                              www.mattcena.com

Comment

Interesting read on the ZMR's Matt. Thanks for posting that.

Formerly El_Animal

Comment

Working...
                                X