Roche's Training Log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ganggreen View Post

That seems to be personal preference. I understand what you're doing now and what you're doing makes sense actually.

Personally, I go PC about 2 hrs pre-workout. Pre-workout d(caffeine shit) 30mins before, then sip on intra during workout. I've never really liked trying to put in the simple carbs right before, but thats personal preference. It makes sense why you might do it for energy and glycogen, I just don't really like it. Makes me feel heavy and sluggish. But again, that doesn't make me right for everyone.. to paraphrase Justin Harris, I've never seen a Mr. O use an intraworkout shake consistently but in theory an intraworkout IS optimal
    I think I will try to cut out the simple carbs before the workout. I agree that sometimes it does make you feel heavy. Thanks for the advice! Has Justin coached you in the past?

Comment

Friday, July 17, 2020

A2

Machine press 212.5 x 8/3/2
      Upright rows 65/side x 8/4/3
      Close grip press 225 x 6/3/2
      Weighted chins 45 x 6/3/2
      T-bar row 5 plates x 9

Turns out my new gym doesn't have a hammer pulldown so I had to switch the back width movement to weighted chins.

Comment

Originally posted by Roche View Post

I think I will try to cut out the simple carbs before the workout. I agree that sometimes it does make you feel heavy. Thanks for the advice! Has Justin coached you in the past?
        Nope, just followed his stuff. Joined myoplasmic during one of the free trial. Tbh his high carb days are too high for me... Ended up felinge sluggish AF.

Comment

Got sick over the weekend. Really thought it was Covid but the test came back negative. No fever anymore so should be back in the gym tomorrow.

Comment

Wednesday, July 22, 2020

B2

Incline dumbbell curl 40's x 12/6/3
            Reverse grip one-arm cable curl 70 x 11,11
            Cybex calf raise 70/side x 13
            Stiff-leg deadlifts 365 x 8, 315 x 12
            Leg press 720 x 10, 450 x 25

Fever lasted longer than expected so I was only able to get back in the gym today. Decided to change leg press calf raises to a cybex calf raise I've never used before, great machine.

Comment

Friday, July 24, 2020

A3

Hammer strength press 115/side x 8/4/2
              DB shoulder press 85's x 8/3/3p
              Reverse grip smith press 205 x 8/3/2
              Wide pulldown 210 x 8/4/3
              BB row 255 x 12

No machine shoulder press in the new gym so switched to DB. Last workout on Monday before I start beating the log book.

Comment

Solid DB Press numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Ganggreen View Post
                  Solid DB Press numbers
                  Thanks GG, that 240 triple log press was far more impressive though.

Comment

Monday, July 27, 2020

B3

Machine preacher curl 130 x 9/4/2
                    Hammer curl 50's x 12,12
                    Seated calf raise 90 x 13
                    Seated leg curl 160 x 12/6/3
                    Front squat 275 x 6
                    Leg press 540 x 22

Good start to the week. Front squat balance was an issue, will need to work on it.

Comment

Wednesday, July 29, 2020

A1

Incline press LT: 225 - 6/3/2, TT: 235 - 7/3/2
                      Smith shoulder press LT: 185 - 6/3/2, TT: 195 - 7/3/1
                      Floor skull crushers LT: 55/side - 12/4/3, TT: 55/side - 14/7/4
                      Close grip pulldown LT: 190 - 8/3/2, TT: 200 - 10/4/2
                      Deadlift LT: 405 - 5, 365 - 8, TT: 455 - 5, 385 - 9

This is definitely not sustainable progress but it was a great workout. I think muscle memory in combination with the consistent caloric surplus for the first time in months will yield some pretty rapid strength gains for the first weeks of this blast and then level off.

Comment

Friday, July 31, 2020

B1

Ez-bar curl LT: 50/side x 8/3/2, TT: 55/side x 8/3/2
                        Pinwheel curl LT: 50's x 13,13, TT: 50's x 15,15
                        Standing calf raise LT: 80/side x 11, TT: 90/side x 11
                        Lying leg curl LT: 100 x 13/8/5, TT: 112.5 x 12/6/3
                        Squat LT: 345 x 3, 255 x 23, TT: 345 x 6, 265 x 22

Improvements on every lift again. Lower back pain was noticeable while squatting. Tightening my belt to the max made it bearable but I should still look into getting some physio work done on it. Will try and get an appointment beginning of next week.

Comment

Friday, July 31, 2020

B1

Ez-bar curl LT: 50/side x 8/3/2, TT: 55/side x 8/3/2
                          Pinwheel curl LT: 50's x 13,13, TT: 50's x 15,15
                          Standing calf raise LT: 80/side x 11, TT: 90/side x 11
                          Lying leg curl LT: 100 x 13/8/5, TT: 112.5 x 12/6/3
                          Squat LT: 345 x 3, 255 x 23, TT: 345 x 6, 265 x 22

Improvements on every lift again. Lower back pain was noticeable while squatting. Tightening my belt to the max made it bearable but I should still look into getting some physio work done on it. Will try and get an appointment beginning of next week.
                          I think you would have been better off with conservative starting numbers and being in the upper part of the rep range. Your around the bottom 11 reps and legs 6 reps for most. Use this time to build back up neural patterns and muscle memory.

Comment

Originally posted by justaguy View Post

I think you would have been better off with conservative starting numbers and being in the upper part of the rep range. Your around the bottom 11 reps and legs 6 reps for most. Use this time to build back up neural patterns and muscle memory.
                            Thanks for the feedback! Yes I agree with you. Should put the ego aside and allow the reps to build up before adding weight. Will do that in the future. What quad rep range have you used/recommend for the heavy set? I have always used 4-8 since that is what I have generally seen prescribed for DC.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! Yes I agree with you. Should put the ego aside and allow the reps to build up before adding weight. Will do that in the future. What quad rep range have you used/recommend for the heavy set? I have always used 4-8 since that is what I have generally seen prescribed for DC.
                              Personally for legs I prefer a higher rep range, for DC you could use 10-12, 6-8, 20+ for the widow. I think quads respond better in the upper ranges, I work with IFBB Pro Shawn Smith and we do a set of 8 with a back off of 15 for straight sets and on my leg press rest pause it's a failure set of 12 and we rest pause those, squats and hacks are 8 & 15. Years of powerlifting have jacked up my knees so I like higher reps.

Comment

Originally posted by justaguy View Post

Personally for legs I prefer a higher rep range, for DC you could use 10-12, 6-8, 20+ for the widow. I think quads respond better in the upper ranges, I work with IFBB Pro Shawn Smith and we do a set of 8 with a back off of 15 for straight sets and on my leg press rest pause it's a failure set of 12 and we rest pause those, squats and hacks are 8 & 15. Years of powerlifting have jacked up my knees so I like higher reps.
                                Shawn's physique is really impressive. His shoulders are insane. How long have you been working with him? What is your training like with him in general?

Comment

Working...
                                X