JD's Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JD's Journey

Hey IM family, I have been a member here for a while and super hyped to see it being re-vamped so thought it would be a good opportunity for me start back up on an online journal. I am 28, will be 29 this year. I have been training since I was in high school (mainly for sports back then) and have continued up to this point. Now I use "continued" loosely as I have taken my fair share of breaks and slacked off. The main reason for this is because for the better part of the last decade, I prioritized hanging out with friends, watching sports and drinking over my career and training.
    I guess the best way to describe my training/diet during this time would be like a M/T-F job and then off on weekends. I would make sure to get in my meals and workouts during the week then eat, drink and do nothing on the weekends (or at least, nothing positive/helpful). I thought this was a happy medium for me. I could reach my fitness and career goals while still being able to do whatever I want from Friday night - Monday morning. Have my cake and eat it to, if you will. Results being that I spun my wheels in fitness and career-wise for far too long. I am not sure why it took me until I was 28 years old to realize this but here we are.

Training/fitness-wise: the goal is to look the part. I am currently 5'8, around 195. Started on 3rd of January at 203 pounds. I have always struggled with getting "lean" and it is not because of any reason besides lack of holding myself accountable, due to reasons stated above. I would venture to say that I have never been below 16-17% body fat. I do carry a decent amount of muscle. So basically, I look ok until its time to take the shirt off.

Injury-wise: Luckily I have never really had to deal with any type of significant injury or setbacks. Had my fair share of aches and pains, same as anyone. My biggest issue, and has been, is my flexibility/range of motion. It is complete shit, everywhere. More specifically in my hips, legs and shoulders. Hips are a huge problem and has caused a lot of lower back pain and pumps. Still trying to correct this. I am open to any and all tips, suggestions, criticisms that might help.

I am currently doing a legs/push/pull split- 6 days/wk with 7th day, generally Sunday, being for abs/forearms/db/kb complex. - Also 45 minutes of outdoor cardio, 7days/wk.
    Diet is pretty generic and stays same throughout the week as of right now. 220P/150c/70F. 2110 cals.
    Doing something called 75Hard right now, currently on day 18/75. You can google it, if you would like to know more about it.

I will post progress pics along the way and any updates to diet. ---- *** Progress pics on page 6***
    I am open to any and all critiques, advice, tips, etc.
    Looking forward to the journey
    Last edited by johndylan15; 03-18-2020, 02:03 PM.
    My greatest opponent is myself. Every time I walk into the gym, I have to beat the person I was before!

1/20/2020
    AM: 45 minute outdoor cardio
    Afternoon: Legs

1. Squats (paused)
    245x5 - 4 sets.

2a. BB hip thrust - (1s hold)
    135x10
    175x8
    135x15
    2b. DB Reverse Lunge (Focus is balance/stretch)
    15sx8/leg - 3 sets

3. DB RDL (1-2s in stretched position
    40sx12 - 3 sets

4. KB Complex ------> kb swings - sumo squats - med ball slams
    Sets of 5 - As many rounds as possible in 5 minutes - 7 Rounds.
    My greatest opponent is myself. Every time I walk into the gym, I have to beat the person I was before!

Comment

Looking forward to following along.

Only initial question/critique is are you training 7 days a week currently?

It took me way too many years of ignoring the guidance of those bigger and more progressed than me to finally heed their advice and begin taking rest days. My progress has skyrocketed and my only regret was not listening to them sooner.

Comment

Good to have you following along.

Training 6x/wk right now with the 7th being more of a "supplemental" day. However these workouts stay within the 40-45 minute range
        Ive been training 6 days/week for about a month now. I know that I will hit a wall sooner or later but am enjoying it right now.

The biggest reason for shifting to 6-7 days per week from the normal 4x/week that I was doing is it helps keep me stay on track.
        For some reason, if I know am going to the gym that day then I have no problem adhering to my diet but on off days from the gym, I tend to make it off days from the diet as well. All or nothing, I suppose. Weak ass mentality, I know, but doing what I have to until I can break that habit.

Comment

Hey brother! Looking forward to the journey and seeing the re-boot of this site along with you! I know you said your goal was to look the part... are there any specific goals, or are you just trying to pack on as much muscle as possible? Cant wait to see progress!

Comment

Good to have you here brother.
            Pretty broad statement, I know. I am dieting down right now so maintaining/increasing strength and muscle mass while consistently dropping fat. Plan is to get down to around 12% bf.
            I am not too concerned about scale weight right now. I track it and take progress pics but letting the mirror and gym performance be my main tracking of progress, right now.

Comment

1/21/2020
              AM: 45 minutes outdoor cardio

Afternoon: Push (chest/sh/tri)

1. DB Bench
              95x8
              95x8
              100x7

2. Dips
              3x10

3. DB MP
              60x10
              60x10
              65x8

4. DB Laterals
              15sx15 - 3 sets

5. French Press
              65x10
              75x10
              75x8

6. Rope Ext.
              70x15
              70x11

Comment

1/22

AM: 45 minute cardio
                Afternoon: Pull (back/bi/calve)

1. Strict BB Row
                205x6
                215x6
                225x7

2 WG Pulldowns
                150x10
                170x10
                170x8

3 Dante Rows
                70x17
                70x13

4. Alt DB Curl
                30x10
                35x10
                35x8

5. Straight Bar Rev Curl
                65x9
                65x8

6. Seated Calve
                3plx12, 12, 12, 11, 10

7. BW calve raise
                2xamap - pump sets

Comment

1/23

AM: Lazy bitch - woke up late and didnt want to do cardio in the rain... excuses........ Will do after I get home from work.

Afternoon: Legs (bw day)

1. Walking Lunges
                  150 each leg - 75, 50, 25

2. Sissy Squats
                  bw x 8, 8, 7, 7

Quad Stretch

3. Swiss Ball leg curl (1-2s contraction)
                  bw x 10, 8, 7, 6, 6, 5

4. Hypers
                  bwx 25, 20,18,16

Hamstring Stretch

Lunges absolutely dominate me every week.

Cardio is going to suck in a couple of hours but I deserve it for being a little bitch this morning.

Comment

1/24
                    Sidenote: did cardio last night once I got home from work and it was raining a lot harder than yesterday morning.
                    AM: 45 minute cardio.

Afternoon: Push

1. Low Incline DB Bench
                    95x8
                    95x8
                    95x6

2. DB Bench (neutral w/ dbs together)
                    55x12
                    55x10

3. BB Military Press
                    135x7
                    135x6
                    135x6

4. Cable laterals
                    20x2 sets to failure

5. Skullcrushers
                    75x10
                    85x10
                    85x8

6. Seated DB OH Ext
                    25x12
                    25x12

7. DB Shrugs (1-2s hold)
                    100x15
                    100x12
                    100x12

Comment

1/25

Afternoon: Pull

1. Pullups
                      bw x 8, 8, 8, 7

2. CS T-Bar Rows
                      2pl+25x8
                      3plx8
                      3plx6

3. Dante Rows
                      60x15
                      70x15
                      70x13

4. Pinwheels
                      35x10
                      35x10
                      35x10

5. Incline DB Curl
                      30x10
                      30x8
                      35x6

6. Smith Calve
                      315x8
                      315x8
                      315x9

7. LP Calve
                      4ppsx18
                      4ppsx14

Comment

1/26 (Yesterday)

First off, RIP Kobe and everyone on that helicopter. Truly heartbreaking and awful situation. May their friends and family find comfort and peace, somehow, somewhere.
                        I, often, forget how fragile life truly is.

Afternoon: "off day" - 45 minutes of hot yoga at Hotworx

Went and tried this with my fiance. She has been doing it for a couple weeks but was my first time doing any type of hot yoga or workout. Think temp stayed around 125-130.
                        The session lasted about 45 minutes. I sweated my ass off, which I guess is the point of it so mission accomplished.
                        I enjoyed the experience. They offer like 10 different type of sessions (yoga, core, spin, HIT, etc).
                        It is not something that I would want to do every day, however I do think I will start doing it 1-2x/wk, mostly on my "off day".

Happy Monday everyone, put in the work - Mamba Mentality
                        Last edited by johndylan15; 01-27-2020, 01:41 PM.

Comment

1/27

Afternoon: Legs

1. Squat (paused)
                          255x5
                          255x5
                          255x5
                          255x5

2a. Hip Thrust
                          135x10
                          185x8
                          135x15

2b. Reverse Lunge
                          20sx8
                          20x8
                          20x8

3. Hypers (1-2s hold)
                          bwx15 - 3 sets

4. Timed circuit - KB swings (25lb), KB squats (25lb), Med Ball Slams (14lb) - 5 reps each
                          8 rounds in 5 minutes

Comment

Originally posted by johndylan15 View Post
                            1/26 (Yesterday)

First off, RIP Kobe and everyone on that helicopter. Truly heartbreaking and awful situation. May their friends and family find comfort and peace, somehow, somewhere.
                            I, often, forget how fragile life truly is.

Afternoon: "off day" - 45 minutes of hot yoga at Hotworx

Went and tried this with my fiance. She has been doing it for a couple weeks but was my first time doing any type of hot yoga or workout. Think temp stayed around 125-130.
                            The session lasted about 45 minutes. I sweated my ass off, which I guess is the point of it so mission accomplished.
                            I enjoyed the experience. They offer like 10 different type of sessions (yoga, core, spin, HIT, etc).
                            It is not something that I would want to do every day, however I do think I will start doing it 1-2x/wk, mostly on my "off day".

Happy Monday everyone, put in the work - Mamba Mentality
                            I'd love to hear your thoughts on this if you continue to do hot yoga. I've always been curious to see if that would help improve recovery at all. Sweating your ass off is never a bad thing!! especially after a cheat meal lol Keep up the great work!

Comment

Originally posted by Kcburrows24 View Post

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this if you continue to do hot yoga. I've always been curious to see if that would help improve recovery at all. Sweating your ass off is never a bad thing!! especially after a cheat meal lol Keep up the great work!
                              I will definitely keep you updated on it. I plan on trying some of the different "programs" they offer and see what they are like but from what I understand they are all similar as far as temperature and time, except for the HIT one and I think it is around 15-20 minutes instead of 45.
                              Anyway, I plan to do it 1-2 times per week going forward so I will keep you updated on any noticeable changes, good or bad, in recovery, sleep, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X