DC Journey to the stage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Journey to the stage

It's been a very long time since i was a part of any sort of forum, but I absolutely love this site. I joined a few months back, after a close friend of mine began training DC style during his offseason. I had heard of it before, but never properly took the time to discover what it actually was. I cant begin to explain all the critical information that i have learned over the past few months scrolling through. That is what has lead me to start this. For me, it was amazing to see Dante's and DH's old posts and the value those posts still held today, and my hope is to be able to look back at this a few years down the road and see the journey I have been through.

For starters I'm 31. I've been lifting weights for 10 years, but i've only been truly training for 6 of those. I fell in love with bodybuilding in my early 20's, and quickly found myself looking at the guys that would lift heavy weight. Branch and Dusty were my favorites right off the bat. I was weighing 170 lbs then, and really was just weak and soft. All i wanted was to be big. About a year in of spinning my wheels, an old friend of mine opened his own powerlifting gym and urged me to join, noting all the great bodybuilders like branch, ronnie, etc all started as powerlifters. It would give me the opportunity to build my base and eat my face off to put on size and strength.

Being the competitive person i am, i wanted to be good, and strong. I spent 4 years eating anything and everything i could for sake of calories. For a solid 14 months I was consistently eating 8000 calories mainly of chicken and hamburger helper. Needless to say i gained weight, and not the good kind. At my heaviest, i was 287, and strong but fat as hell. I finally took a year and a half off due to a fracture to my humerus bone, and early last year i finally got my original love of bodybuilding reignited.

After attending the Arnold in Ohio I was motivated to finally step on stage for the first time. From March to November, i dieted down from 260-208 to prepare for a show. Unfortunately i ran out of time and pulled out 3 weeks out. But i learned a ton about my body, and proper nutrition. It was towards the end of that prep that i discovered DC training, and discovered this site.

I have spent the last 3 months training DC style with the help of a coach, and right now am completely focused on gaining as much proper size as possible. I dont want to gain weight again just for the sake of gaining weight, I want it to be quality size and strength, which is why i was so adament on getting a coach who knew his stuff and could keep an eye on me. I am absolutely loving it though. My strength is consistently increasing and even surprising myself at times. The one thing I've learned in the last 3 months that has been vital and invaluable was the ability to find that 2nd gear. There is a point where in the past my mind would have had me stop even before reaching true failure, and that is no longer the case. I truly believe that is the reason my strength is rising like it hasnt before. That alone has helped me break plateaus both physically and mentally.

I dont know how many people will actually see this, and to be honest it's not really a concern of mine, I think if nothing else it will be a great tool in addition of my log book to see where i've come from and where im headed. Right now, i'm heading towards growing into a respectable bodybuilder. Each and every day I try and have what i consider a "perfect day" That includes getting cardio in for the day, eating all 6 meals, and training to absolute failure on training days. Enough years of "perfect days" will lead to where i am wanting to be in life, that I am sure of!

Glad to see you posting and welcome to IM!

After years of very low traffic we are in the process of rebuilding and upgrading the site because I believe that people don't like the social media platform as much as they used to and are longing for the in depth discussions and debates that we had here for years.

Be patient and I hope you hang around because the plan is to get this board busy again.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
      Glad to see you posting and welcome to IM!

After years of very low traffic we are in the process of rebuilding and upgrading the site because I believe that people don't like the social media platform as much as they used to and are longing for the in depth discussions and debates that we had here for years.

Be patient and I hope you hang around because the plan is to get this board busy again.

Skip
      Thanks Skip... means a lot you read it. I have tremendous amount of respect for you, and have to agree completely with you on the social media front. I'm excited for the rebuild and will do my part putting out the word!

Comment

Currently following a 3 day DC split for training. Yesterday was my back and biceps day. This comes with great excitement because i love deadlifts and rack pulls. So here's what my current back and bi's workout looks like:

DB Pullovers 3 x 15

Assisted Pullups - 3 count negative. 18-20 reps Rest paused followed by a hold

Rack Deads.
        set 1: 6-8 top set
        set 2: 12-15 back off set

Extreme back stretches

Alt bicep curls- 12-15 top set rest paused 3 count negative

EZ Bar preacher curls 1 set of 30

Pinwheels - 2 straight sets of 12-15 3 count negative

It was a great session... and back and certainly feeling it today. I'm still trying to perfect the stretches and think i've finally got into a good groove especially with the lat stretches. My back is going to be a big focal point this offseason... but then again nothing on me is big enough for the national stage so I am trying to put on as much muscle on wherever it will go.

Comment

Yesterday was a much needed rest day. I heard Luke Sandoe say "if you dont look forward to your rest day, you're not training hard enough" I took that to heart.

Training intensity is one of those things that are tricky. It can seem so apparent to see, and other it seems non existent. I'm not what I consider a "show guy" in the gym. I dont have crazy routines, i don't yell to the top of my lungs every set (i do grunt from time to time when really pressing hard) but I prefer to go in, push as hard as i can and go home. But there's always that voice in my head that says 'are you really training hard, or do you think you're just training hard?'

I'm fortunate in the sense that I train at a semi-private gym. A busy day is 5 people in there. Its in a warehouse, with nuts and bolt basics. Heavy ass weight... not much fluff to it. Being n a place like that allows your mind to wonder. Which is a blessing because it always forces me to push harder. From time to time I'll go to LA Fitness, and i love being able to use some of the machines i can really feel, or that are more comfortable, but i look around in between sets and nobody is really pushing. It validates my intensity. But as soon as i get back in my gym, theres that voice again... and i love it. Maybe not in the moment but looking back it is great to have. I used to go into heavy sets and would go to the 'dark place' in my mind to get pissed off. Now its not getting pissed off as much as it is telling myself this is what it takes. If i want to accomplish my goals I have to go through this set. I have to go through this day. Simply taking it easy is not an option.

Today we have chest... and I will post that day tomorrow. I'm loving being on here, and the renaissance, if you will of this site. And some of the old school methods coming back as a whole. I'm hearing way more chatter about hard ass training than I am gear, or stacks.

Comment

Totally agree on the training intensity being tricky. I think that is a huge variable from person to person. There is a fine line between pushing the intensity and being stupid by not listening to your body. Personally if I try to push past a certain point I end up hurt. Could be because my form is breaking down or could just be genetics but either way for me I have just learned through experience to listen to my body when it comes to training especially as I have gotten older. Maybe I'm not "hardcore" enough but I would rather feel like I gave it 95% and know I will be back tomorrow vs trying to push with everything I have everyday knowing that has resulted in setbacks in the past. I know I have heard Skip before say everyone talks about genetics but the guys who can kill heavy weight all the time and never get hurt are genetically gifted as well. Its not just about the shape, insertions, metabolism, etc when we talk about genetics.
            6/22/13 - 2013 NPC VICTORY CLASSIC
            1st - Novice Men's Lightheavy & Novice overall

Comment

Originally posted by LKQSJH View Post
              Totally agree on the training intensity being tricky. I think that is a huge variable from person to person. There is a fine line between pushing the intensity and being stupid by not listening to your body. Personally if I try to push past a certain point I end up hurt. Could be because my form is breaking down or could just be genetics but either way for me I have just learned through experience to listen to my body when it comes to training especially as I have gotten older. Maybe I'm not "hardcore" enough but I would rather feel like I gave it 95% and know I will be back tomorrow vs trying to push with everything I have everyday knowing that has resulted in setbacks in the past. I know I have heard Skip before say everyone talks about genetics but the guys who can kill heavy weight all the time and never get hurt are genetically gifted as well. Its not just about the shape, insertions, metabolism, etc when we talk about genetics.
              Thanks for reading! I couldn't have said it better myself, and agree with you 1000% It's funny because you spend the first few weeks,months, years depending on the person teaching yourself to push through the pain and push through that mental voice that says 'that's enough' but then once you train like that for a while you have to teach yourself when to back off as well. But in my opinion the most successful ones (not counting the insanely genetically blessed) are the ones that can balance going to true failure, and pushing but also being smart enough to back off when your body is saying rest.

Comment

Yesterday's push session was absolutely nuts! Being a former powerlfiter, i love the idea of pushing maximal weight, and progressing week after week. However if i'm being honest, being so excited to start DC Training at the beginning, and so anxious to move maximal poundage that along the way i overlooked a very important key, which is keeping form as perfect as possible. Yesterday's chest workout was one of the first that I was able to keep everything strict but also was able to move some good weight for me. Here's what the workout looked like:

45 degree Incline smith machine bench press:
                Rest Pause (RP) 1 maximum all out set of 11-15. After last attempt I dropped a plate and did a hold 2/3 of the way down keeping everything in the chest.

Pec Dec - 20 reps 2 sec squeeze, 2 sec hold at bottom

Extreme Stretch

Hammer Strength Shoulder press: RP 11-15 plus a hold after last attempt

Shoulder tri set:
                cuffed lying cable shoulder raise (supposed to be done on a lat raise machine but my gym doesnt have one) for 10 reps (4 sec neg) immediately followed by 20 partials with 2 sec hold at top immediately followed by 30 sec hold... These will completely trash your shoulders!!! Its the most painful yet most euphoric feeling ever!!

Extreme Stretch

Rev grip close grip bench: These are tricky but once i got them down they absolutely smoke the tri's

Weighted bench dips: 3 count neg, 1 sec hold at top of movement RP for 30 reps.

Extreme Stretch

Its crazy how light this looks on paper, but it will leave you absolutely smoked!!

Comment

Dante's latest IG post had me pretty fired up and getting after it a bit more than usual (@kcburrows24 for those on IG ). Had a killer back session with my training partner. By the time I got done, i made it home just in time to eat and then passed out for a nap, which hardly ever happens. Even when trying my hardest sleep is not something I am very good at. I've tried a few different sleep aids, melotonin, sleeping pills but it either leaves me super groggy in the morning... which will last hours in the morning... even after AM Cardio. So right now melotonin seems to be the only prayer i have at night. And that usually only allows me to get to sleep. Its the staying asleep part that i'm no good at. I literally wake up 5 to 6 times a night. So needless to say... naps are a rare occurance, but it was fantastic.

In my previous post i mentioned i was really buckling down on form, and that was something that i really focused on. Going heavy but keeping the negatives slow and really pulling with my lats.
                  Here's yesterdays workout:

DB Pullovers 3x15

Underhand hammer iso pulldown 15-20 RP

Smith machine BB Rows- 2 sets 11-15 straight set

Extreme Stretching

EZ Bar drag curl 4ct negative 15-20 Reps RP

EZ bar preacher curl 4 ct neg, 2 ct hold at bottom 1 straight set of 30
                  My arms are by far my biggest weakness... staying strict on these I cant even hit 30 straight reps because of the pump... but each week I keep the weight the same and try like hell to get more reps and then forced reps the rest of the way

Rev grip forearm curls 2 sets of 20

I cant begin to tell you how smoked I was after this!! Today is leg day... which is my personal favorite! I get super excited for leg day!

I usually get told I'm an upside down normal lifter. I love training legs and hate training arms... and my whole upper body is pretty pathetic... but thats why we do DC is it not?

Comment

Some solid work going on in here brother. Look forward to keeping up with your journey to stepping on stage.
                    I feel you on the sleep thing. I have no problem falling asleep but wake up 3-5x per night. I average a little over 6 hours of sleep each nigh. I have adapted to it nowadays. Not ideal by any means but could always be worse, I suppose.
                    Keep killing it!
                    My greatest opponent is myself. Every time I walk into the gym, I have to beat the person I was before!

Comment

Originally posted by Kcburrows24 View Post
                      Dante's latest IG post had me pretty fired up and getting after it a bit more than usual (@kcburrows24 for those on IG ). Had a killer back session with my training partner. By the time I got done, i made it home just in time to eat and then passed out for a nap, which hardly ever happens. Even when trying my hardest sleep is not something I am very good at. I've tried a few different sleep aids, melotonin, sleeping pills but it either leaves me super groggy in the morning... which will last hours in the morning... even after AM Cardio. So right now melotonin seems to be the only prayer i have at night. And that usually only allows me to get to sleep. Its the staying asleep part that i'm no good at. I literally wake up 5 to 6 times a night. So needless to say... naps are a rare occurance, but it was fantastic.
                      If you haven't looked into it you may want to have a sleep study done to check for sleep apnea. Getting a cpap made a world of difference for me and my apnea was just considered moderate. I very rarely wake up during the night anymore. I think I have had mine about 8 years now and I don't want to go a night without it.

6/22/13 - 2013 NPC VICTORY CLASSIC
                      1st - Novice Men's Lightheavy & Novice overall

Comment

Originally posted by LKQSJH View Post

If you haven't looked into it you may want to have a sleep study done to check for sleep apnea. Getting a cpap made a world of difference for me and my apnea was just considered moderate. I very rarely wake up during the night anymore. I think I have had mine about 8 years now and I don't want to go a night without it.
                        I have always been interested in checking one out ever since I started hearing Stan Efferding preaching about them. I'm going to look into getting one done.

Originally posted by johndylan15 View Post
                        Some solid work going on in here brother. Look forward to keeping up with your journey to stepping on stage.
                        I feel you on the sleep thing. I have no problem falling asleep but wake up 3-5x per night. I average a little over 6 hours of sleep each nigh. I have adapted to it nowadays. Not ideal by any means but could always be worse, I suppose.
                        Keep killing it!
                        Thanks brother, I appreciate all the kind words!! And i'm with you... 6 is definitely better than nothing, but would love to have more. or at least better quality haha

Comment

Started using DC training about 10 weeks ago and I LOVE IT.. Glad to see your back in the iron game my friend, will definitely be following your log !

Comment

Originally posted by 1MoreRep89 View Post
                            Started using DC training about 10 weeks ago and I LOVE IT.. Glad to see your back in the iron game my friend, will definitely be following your log !
                            Thanks brother! I really appreciate it. I feel the exact same way... I am curious though, it took me a few weeks to really tweak the stretches the way they were described to me to feel that excruciating feeling that they talk about? Did you have issues with that as well?

Comment

Last nights' Leg day is my least favorite of my 3 that i have but you know how it is... you gotta do the work!! Form again is something i will be very conscious of. As weird as it sounds having been lifting for so long re-reading Dante's old posts have opened my eyes a lot about just how little I know about my body. Especially when it comes to doing lifts that mechanically fit me, and not just spinning my wheels doing the same ol same ol. I love pushing heavy(for me at least) weight but on days like this leg day, focusing on form can have me just as crippled. Here's what is looks like:

Standing Calf raises 20 sec reps. Contract... 5 sec negative... 15 sec stretch at the bottom. 4x12
                              These absolutely light my calves up.. and creep all the way up my hammies to my glute tie-in by the time the 4th set is over. But I can say without question i have noticed the biggest different thus far in my calves and I swear it due to the cadence on the reps and doing so many stretches with them

DB hamstring curl - 4ct negative RP 15-20 followed by 10 partials from the bottom after last attempt
                              We warm up pretty thoroughly on these. Again with form im concentrating on form and keeping my hips plastered to the bench and trying like hell not to lift them. For my the DB are starting to get really heavy and i'm having as hard of a time keeping them held with my feet as i actually am curling them. But I get such a ridiculous pump from these.

Reverse Hack 2x10-12 straight sets... followed by 1 widow maker (these are pure f'in hell)

Extreme Stretch

Leg Press 2x20 4ct negative, 2 ct hold at bottom of movement. feet in v position to target teardrop
                              Out of all the moements this one is one of the most i've have to play with. My hammies want to take over everytime and i went weeks without getting it too much in the teardrop. That has thus changed... and i made some minor tweaks playing with it, and oh my... how that make a huge difference. I kept the weight the same this week using the correction of form as my way of beating my log book. Not that 20 reps were easy by any means last week... but with the change in seat position, it lit my tear drops up... i really had to dig deep to complete my second set.

Needless to say legs were pooped today!

Comment

Working...
                              X