plate loaded pull down machine 135/sidex13

BB Row 245x13
    Cybex incline press 135/sidex15
    Shrugs 315x12

Pump
    hoist leg press – 300 x fail
    hoist ham curls – drop set, start at 9, drop to 6, then drop to 4
    Calf standing raises – 150 x fail, drop to 105 x fail

This workout felt really good. Nice to go through a workout without feeling like I was "working around" something that was bothering me. Makes me feel like going with this program is the right direction for what my body needs right now. I still want to do more but going to ride this at least a month or so before bumping up to another tier. I did do shrugs as my delt movement despite that not really being a delt movement. With the pain I had in my right shoulder last month I just didn't want to chance an overhead press type movement to failure in the 12 rep range yet. I have had them in my pump work and not bothering me but in a much higher rep range with lighter weight. Also decided to stop counting reps for my pump work and just log the weight. I think this encourages me to be more creative with the reps with pause reps, constant tension sets, drop sets etc. instead of just banging out straight reps.

6/22/13 - 2013 NPC VICTORY CLASSIC
    1st - Novice Men's Lightheavy & Novice overall

Comment

Wed 01/22
      lower muscle rounds
      weight 229

Lever squat machine 115/sidex4,4,4,4,4,8
      Hoist leg ext 10x4,4,4,4,4,7
      Hoist ham curls 10x4,4,4,4,4,5
      Seated calfs 190x4,4,4,4,4,5
      Barbell curls 65x4,4,4,4,4,8

This one was another good session. Really trying to focus on the target muscle and get the best stretch/contraction I can and keep any momentum out of the lift. Feel like my body is getting in a routine again which is nice. I am enjoying the gym and looking forward to the next session. Really going to put effort into keeping the fun in the gym this go round. In the past when I was so overly concerned with progression it really killed the fun factor for me.

Comment

Thurs 01/23
        upper muscle rounds
        weight 227

Cybex row 190x4,4,4,4,4,7
        Hoist pull down 13x4,4,4,4,4,5
        Smith ohp 70/sidex4,4,4,4,4,4
        Cable flys 40x4,4,4,4,4,4
        Cybex tricep press 150x4,4,4,4,4,6
        Leg raises - 3 sets 10

Nice to see a new low of 227. I am in no rush to drop weight but always encouraging to see the scale moving the direction you want. I don't have a target weight as much as a look that I will know when I get there. Highlight of the session was the ohp. I was able to do these with no pain and the set felt really good. Going to keep going with what I have now for my load sets but I will def be adding this in as a load exercise in the future. I may have to alternate my days a little as 3 straight days of legs even at the low volume has them cooked but in a good way. I found a recumbent bike on fb marketplace I am hoping to pick up this weekend. I like doing fasted am cardio but with my current schedule I just can't make it to the gym in the morning so will be nice to have a bike at home to hop on right after I wake up my kids.

Comment

Monday 01/27
          lower load/upper pump-2
          Weight 231

20 mins fasted am cardio

LOAD
          Leg press - hoist 8ppsx15
          Calf raises - same as lp x 12,10
          hoist leg ext 13x13
          hoist ham curl 12x10
          Abductor 150x15

PUMP
          Hoist lat pull 10x fail then 7x fail - a bit light - go up one on each next time
          Hoist chest press - 14x fail slow with pause then 10x fail
          Rear delts on fly 45x fail
          rope tricep ext - 90,60,40 drop sets
          rope hammer curls -Same as tri

Mondays sure get here fast. Had our first workout for baseball yesterday so was fun to get out on the field with the kids again for a couple hours. I have been keeping carbs fairly low through the week and having a refeed/skipload day on Sundays so that is why my weight is back up to start every week. Pump was really good today and felt good to start the day off with cardio. Don't get me wrong I don't love cardio but even just 20 mins first thing lets me start the day off feeling like I am on the right track.

Comment

Looking jacked bud, nice job. Old?? Would kill to be 35 again, going on 54 this year. I really started feeling the age thing (injury, etc) right around age 50 (disc's, rotator, etc). Just train around things smart, and back off what hurts. Let it heal. (Now if only would take my own advices)!

Comment

Originally posted by Rot-Iron66 View Post
              Looking jacked bud, nice job. Old?? Would kill to be 35 again, going on 54 this year. I really started feeling the age thing (injury, etc) right around age 50 (disc's, rotator, etc). Just train around things smart, and back off what hurts. Let it heal. (Now if only would take my own advices)!
              Thanks man but to be fair that pic is about a year and a half old. Not in that shape right now but where I'm shooting to get back to. I know (or tell myself) I'm not "old" but I also realize I just can't do some of the things I used to do and think that is a lot to do with the decade of abuse I put my body through before and those things catching up to me. Now if something hurts I stop instead of "grinding it out" just because I am up to that lift again in my rotation.

Comment

Originally posted by LKQSJH View Post

Thanks man but to be fair that pic is about a year and a half old. Not in that shape right now but where I'm shooting to get back to. I know (or tell myself) I'm not "old" but I also realize I just can't do some of the things I used to do and think that is a lot to do with the decade of abuse I put my body through before and those things catching up to me. Now if something hurts I stop instead of "grinding it out" just because I am up to that lift again in my rotation.
                Your size will come back quick. 230 at our height is HUGE. Im same height, but 200 lbs. Of course now at my age its not smart to try to gain much more, but maintain I guess.
                You got some good growth years left. Very cool...

Comment

Tues 01/28
                  Upper load/lower pump
                  Weight 229

25 mins fasted am cardio

Load
                  Cable Pull down 195x13 (left side machine)
                  Cable row close grip 240x12
                  Db inclines 110x11
                  Hoist ohp 218x16

Pump
                  squats 185x20, 135x20

Few notes on this one. Overall everything felt good. Right shoulder felt really good on the ohp so should be able to work into my 12 rep max range soon but just easing back to it. On the pump work this isn't the way the program is written but I miss squatting. I got away from it due to low back issues but trying to work back into them. I am not ready to do load work with them but figured throwing in some 20 rep sets of lower weight will help me build back to them. The 185 felt light and my back felt great but my lack of cardio capacity was really the limiting factor more than legs here.

Comment

Wed 01/29
                    upper muscle rounds
                    weight 228

25 mins fasted am cardio

T bar row 115x4,4,4,4,4,3
                    Straight arm lat pull down 55x4,4,4,4,4,8
                    DB lat raise 30x4,4,4,4,4,6
                    Incline DB flys 40x4,4,4,4,4,5
                    Overhead rope ext 110x4,4,4,4,4,8
                    3 sets machine crunchs

Decided to swap up the muscle round days. With my current schedule I can only get to gym mon-thurs and hitting legs 3 straight days even though fairly low volume was tough last week. Figured giving legs the extra day mid week would help some. I am starting to build a pretty solid pool of exercises for the muscle rounds so will likely start to rotate through some I have already done which should get me more dialed in on the correct weight/rep range for these and focus on progression.

Comment

Thurs 01/30
                      Lower muscle rounds
                      weight 228

25 mins fasted am cardio

Smith box squats 115/sidex4,4,4,4,4,10
                      Nautilus leg ext 180x4,4,4,4,4,6
                      Db sldl 70x4,4,4,4,4,2
                      standing calf 165x4,4,4,4,4,8
                      Rope hammer curls 110x4,4,4,4,4,8

Well I learned today that doing SLDL's for muscle rounds leaves my low back so crazy tight that it effects everything else I do after that. I may revisit these again down the road but for now will be sticking to machines that focus on the hamstrings and keep my low back from being what fatigues first. As far as my wrap up for the week I feel like my sessions are going good. A little surprised that my weight didn't drop any with adding in cardio this week but really not worried about the scale. I am seeing more vascularity in my arms and hoping when I do my comparison pics in two more weeks I will be able to see progress. If not I will determine then what needs to change with cardio or diet. I am a big believer in doing just enough to get results then when that stops working take the next step. If you dive all in it doesn't leave you anywhere to go when you hit a wall.

Comment

Mon 02/03
                        lower load/upper pump - 3
                        weight 230

25 min am fasted cardio

Load
                        Eagle leg press – stackx12
                        Nautilus Leg ext - 200x15
                        SLDL - 245x12
                        Abductor machine - 170x12
                        Seated calfs - 205x13,11

Pump
                        BB rows - 155x25
                        DB inclines - 70x23
                        DB ohp - 40x20
                        Lying db tricep - 35x18
                        Standing preacher curls - bar+40x28

This one was a good start to the week. Everything felt good and pump was awesome. Sure all the carbs I had SB Sunday helped a little with that. Feel like everything is clicking along well right now with my training and I look forward to each session which is so nice. When I was dealing with pain it just killed all the fun. I really hate to back off any right now but in the back of my mind I am waiting for signs of needing a deload to start coming on anytime. Who knows maybe with this lower volume I can go longer than I have in the past with other programs.

Comment

Tues 02/04
                          Upper load/lower pump 3
                          Weight 230

25 min fasted am cardio

Load
                          Hoist pull downs 16x11
                          T bar rows - 125x11
                          Eagle chest press 270x13
                          Db side laterals 30x16

Pump
                          Hack squats 2ppsx25 drop to 1ppsx25
                          Eagle Leg ext - paused reps 110x11 drop to 60x9 (I pause 1/2 way up, then at top, then 1/2 way on way back down to keep momentum out of these)
                          Standing calf raises- 135x20 drop to 90x10

Felt a little off on this one. Not sure what my deal was just seemed like I didn't have the drive/motivation/energy I normally do. I started tracking my sleep with the fitbit last week so would love to know if that correlates but it didn't record part of my sleep last night so can't really link the two. Doesn't really matter in the end, its over and on to the next one.

Comment

Wed 02/05
                            upper muscle rounds
                            weight 229

25 mins fasted am cardio

pullover machine 150x4,4,4,4,4,10

Cybex row 210x4,4,4,4,4,6
                            Fly machine 80x4,4,4,4,4,7
                            Evo ohp 160x4,4,4,4,4,8
                            Dips bwx4,4,4,4,4,7

Little surprised at the reps I got today. These are all movements I have logged previously so really thought I would have failed sooner on the last set. Not complaining about progress though. After feeling off yesterday I noticed as the day went on I was having more sinus drainage. I used my neti pot last night before bed and think that helped. Our weather has been crazy up/down in NC and that always seems to mess with my sinus issues. I still have no idea what is up with my weight but I can tell I am leaning out from the mirror which is all I care about.

Comment

Thurs 02/06
                              lower muscle rounds
                              weight 228

25 min fasted am cardio

eagle lp 350x4,4,4,4,4,8
                              eagle ext 150x4,4,4,4,4,5
                              Prone leg curls 110x4,4,4,4,4,2
                              standing calf 195x4,4,4,4,4,6
                              Barbell curls 80x4,4,4,4,4,4

Well another week is in the books. Still trying to get the hang of the muscle round numbers for where I need to be on weight but know that will come with time.

Comment

Mon 02/10
                                Lower load/upper pump-1
                                weight 230

25 min fasted am cardio

Load
                                Hack squat - 320x17

Nautilus leg ext 200x14
                                Cybex prone ham curl 140x12
                                Adductor machine 180x12
                                Standing calf machine 210x15,9

Pump
                                Hoist mid row 18x22
                                cybex chest press 190x23
                                Hoist lat raise 17x22
                                Cybex tricep ext 80x25
                                Preacher curl machine 70x7s full, top, bot, full

This was a great start to the week. I was able to add weight or reps across the board on this one and on a couple movements I added weight and beat previous reps. I have no doubt some of this is due to my body becoming more efficient at the movements but feels good to beat the log book again.
                                Last edited by LKQSJH; 02-10-2020, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X