Getting after it again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting after it again!

Really hoping this forum is going to make a comeback so figured I would try to make one as well. Having a log has always helped me hold myself accountable so wanted to start over fresh.

I took just over a full year off from the gym last year. I was acting as the GC for building my new house as well as working a 40/hr wk job and still trying to be involved as much as possible with my kids. I have a 10 year old son who does baseball in spring and fall and wrestling in winter. My daughter is 5 and does gymnastics and cheer. Needless to say my free time is limited and my bodybuilding hobby has been on the back burner for a while now. Trying to find a balance now of getting in my time in the gym without impacting my family life. I have no desire to compete again, but do want to get back in good shape and feeling good. Not making excuses at all but during my year out of the gym I ate like shit and just got fat.

I really started back to the gym back in October. I dropped way back off previous weights but went back to a 4 day push/pull/legs routine and got over the newbie doms. My strength got back to respectable really fast but something that was really new to me was having pain that I didn't used to have. Not sure if this is because my muscle strength came back way quicker than the stabilizer strength or what. Towards end of November I was doing decline bench with 315 and around rep 8 my right shoulder started killing me. Ended up causing me to take almost all of December off trying to rehab that.

Its been hard but I am trying to move away from the progressive overload mindset. I have always been a "beat the logbook" lifter so this is hard for me to get my mind around right now but being out of the gym really sucks so I don't want any more injuries. I am 35 now and while not "old" I think the things I did for past decade are catching up to me so I am going to have to lift smarter not harder this time around.

Currently morning weight is right at 230 (5'6" height). Have really cleaned up my diet but not being super strict right now. My plan is to add in cardio when the scale stops moving off current diet then I can adjust from there. I am doing Fortitude Training at the moment and just doing the basic version and Tier 1. I hope to increase this as time goes but I wanted to ease back in this time instead of trying to jump back in. Since starting I am over on the "loading" rep range as well for most lifts but going to slowly add weight to get in correct range instead of just slamming more plates on the bar to get there now.

I plan to put up monthly progress pics as I go though this but wanted to post this throwback one as my own motivation. This is where I was when I stopped. Not sure I will ever get back to where I was but its what I'm shooting for at the moment.

Attached Files
    6/22/13 - 2013 NPC VICTORY CLASSIC
    1st - Novice Men's Lightheavy & Novice overall

good luck! Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Comment

Originally posted by intheflesh View Post
      good luck! Looking forward to seeing your progress.
      Thanks! I have a journey ahead of me but I have gone from fat to fit before so know I can do it again with time and effort.

Comment

Tues 01/14
        Upper load/lower pump 3
        Weight 232

Load
        Hoist pull downs 15x13
        T bar rows - 115x12
        Eagle chest press 250x13
        Db side laterals 25x18

Pump

Hack squats 2ppsx20 drop to 1ppsx20
        Eagle Leg ext -paused reps110x11 drop to 60x9 (I pause 1/2 way up, then at top, then 1/2 way on way back down to keep momentum out of these)
        Standing calf raises- 120x18 drop to 90x12

Overall workout felt good. Still have some discomfort in my right shoulder so going light with the laterals but no pain so i'll take it. Doing the whole body routine is still something I'm adjusting to mentally. When I am in the gym I feel like I'm not doing enough for each body part but I am going to ride this out a bit then may jump into another tier of FT.

Comment

Originally posted by LKQSJH View Post

Thanks! I have a journey ahead of me but I have gone from fat to fit before so know I can do it again with time and effort.
          Doing the same. It takes wayyyyyyyyy longer being older. I’m talking more than double time from my present experience. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by intheflesh View Post

Doing the same. It takes wayyyyyyyyy longer being older. I’m talking more than double time from my present experience. Good luck!
            Yea I am really starting to see this whole getting older thing sucks all the way around lol. Funny because yesterday I was reading through DC's "For every bodybuilder post 34 years of age" thread thinking to myself the last time I was on this board this didn't apply to me.

Comment

Wed 01/15

Weight 230

Thigh
              Magnum hip sled - 225x4,4,4,4,4,6
              Quad
              Nautilus leg ext - 170x4,4,4,4,4,4
              Ham
              Prone leg curls - 90x4,4,4,4,4,5
              Calf
              Seated calf - 180x4,4,4,4,4,5
              Biceps
              Cybex preacher curl - 80x4,4,4,4,4,6

I am really starting to enjoy these muscle round days. They kick my ass but feel good at the same time. My cardio capacity is shit right now and think that really shows on these thigh movements. I think that will improve weekly though between dropping weight and just getting back in the groove. I took my first round of pics yesterday and that was humbling and motivating at the same time. I know where I am now time to kick ass so next months pics show the results.

Comment

Thurs 01/16
                upper muscle rounds
                weight 230

Back thick – wide neutral grip cable row 180x4,4,4,4,4,7
                Back width – pullover machine 115x4,4,4,4,4,9
                Chest - hoist chest press 12x4,4,4,4,4,10
                Delts –cable upright row 65x4,4,4,4,4,8
                Triceps - skull crushers 50x4,4,4,4,4,6
                Abs -nautilus ab machine 70x10,10,10

Ended up being a bit light across the board on this one. I am still fairly new with this gym and still trying to build my pool of exercises for muscle rounds. One of the really good things about getting a new log going is the ability to go back and know what weight/reps I used for everything instead of just tracking my primary lifts. I know Dr. Scott says to pick around a 15 rep max for weight but I find that a bit challenging to gauge. I would rather be over on reps to start and increase the weight next time than to have to back off but that's just me being mental.

Comment

I am here to watch the progress! Good luck on your journey, brother.
                  My greatest opponent is myself. Every time I walk into the gym, I have to beat the person I was before!

Comment

best of luck on the journey back brother. Hope nothing but the best! Any aspirations for competing again?

Comment

Originally posted by johndylan15 View Post
                      I am here to watch the progress! Good luck on your journey, brother.

Originally posted by Kcburrows24 View Post
                      best of luck on the journey back brother. Hope nothing but the best! Any aspirations for competing again?

Thanks for the encouragement! As far as competing I highly doubt it but I won't say no. I am so involved with my kids and their activities right now it would be extremely difficult to add a prep on top of that. At the end of the day another local npc show trophy doesn't mean as much to me as being a part of what my kids are doing. When my son turned 10 back in august it really hit me how fast 10 years went by and how the truth of it is I probably only have a few years at best left of him wanting me to be so involved. I will coach spring and fall ball for the 2020 year and he will be trying to make the school team spring of 21. If he does and I just become Dad again I may have the desire to fill that empty time with cardio and meal prep but won't know that until it actually gets here.

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement! As far as competing I highly doubt it but I won't say no. I am so involved with my kids and their activities right now it would be extremely difficult to add a prep on top of that. At the end of the day another local npc show trophy doesn't mean as much to me as being a part of what my kids are doing. When my son turned 10 back in august it really hit me how fast 10 years went by and how the truth of it is I probably only have a few years at best left of him wanting me to be so involved. I will coach spring and fall ball for the 2020 year and he will be trying to make the school team spring of 21. If he does and I just become Dad again I may have the desire to fill that empty time with cardio and meal prep but won't know that until it actually gets here.
                        Brother i am with you! my son is 6... and its insane how fast its gone. Luckily my gym is semi-private so he comes and hangs with me and the guys, as he's pretty much the gym mascot at this point. But if it wasn't for that luxury there is no way. Still even with that I'd be lying if i said i didn't feel guilty from time to time that maybe he spends too much time there with me and it could be better served doing something else. He truly seems to enjoy it though so until that changes i wont be myself up too much haha. Coaching my boy however is one thing i am very much looking forward to. Best of luck this spring!

Comment

Yea I am really starting to see this whole getting older thing sucks all the way around lol. Funny because yesterday I was reading through DC's "For every bodybuilder post 34 years of age" thread thinking to myself the last time I was on this board this didn't apply to me.
                          Congratulations for getting back to training!
                          Age is something WE CANNOT do anything about but training and do whatever we can to stay in "Good"shape we CAN.... You will be glad you did when you reach Heckman and I age of over 60
                          Heckman's Girl

Kiki
                          """Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude.".

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
                          Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Kiki View Post
                            Congratulations for getting back to training!
                            Age is something WE CANNOT do anything about but training and do whatever we can to stay in "Good"shape we CAN.... You will be glad you did when you reach Heckman and I age of over 60

Thanks! I agree 100% this is just the first time I have really had to mend my training to my body instead of forcing my body to do whatever the program is. If I plan on doing this long term though its best I learn to adapt sooner than later.

Comment

Load
                              Hack squat - 270x15

Nautilus leg ext 180x16
                              Cybex prone ham curl 140x12
                              Adductor machine 160x14
                              Standing calf machine 195x15,10

Pump
                              Hoist mid row 18x19
                              cybex chest press 180x20
                              Hoist lat raise 16x20
                              Cybex tricep ext 70x22
                              Preacher curl machine 60x7s full, top, bot, full

First session of the week went good. I feel like my cardio capacity is getting better with each workout and allowing me to really focus on pushing the muscle instead of running out of lung capacity first. Really a bit surprised my weight has not come down much at all. I am taking in 100 grams carbs in my peri-workout but that is the only carbs I am having until I eat dinner with my family and even then I have cut way back on my carb portions. Not weighing any food right now as I didn't think I would need to but just thought body weight would start to move by now. I know as well as anyone the scale is just a tool so not worried about it right now but its always encouraging to see scale drop along with progress in the log book.

Comment

Working...
                              X