Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tugs
    replied
    thanks--I,ll try that--this is my 6th week at the squats--last wk i added 6 lbs--the week before 10 lbs and the week before that 10 lbs--so far so good---I don t want to sound to optimistic about this 20 rep squatroutine--its just that...,
    I THINK THERE CHANGING MY ENTIRE LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AT 50 I NEVER THOUGHT IN MY LIFE THAT I WOULD BE SO EXICTED ABOUT SPENDING MY DAYS OFF IN A CAGE!!
    thanks.

Leave a comment:

• homonunculus
    replied
    Originally posted by tugs
    randy--in #1--is there a reason you say do squats first?cause usally after the 20 rep squat pause/rest routine i,m too done to do anything else.
    and in #2 ---DLDL'S?? do you mean deads? or stiff legs? cause if you mean deads thats fine with me except maybe it would be too much on the legs for recovery? or not? I,m 6 ' 230--but everything is in the upper body--i,m trying to build up my chiken legs.
    thanks
    ps.,was that you in the pic with thw sneakers??? awesome really!!
    Sorry - I meant to type "SLDL" - Stiff-legged deadlifts. I was thinking of doing a 20 rep squat (like you said) and the same for SLDL's.

Yep, you'll be a little whacked for upper body, but this will mean that you are fresh for legs. There is of course a logic to doing the hardest stuff last (you know that that's all you have left), but in your case, it might be nice to do the legs when your mind is fresh and motivation high. It'll prob. be OK to be a bit whacked for upper body, as you don't need work there now. The squats and deads might just make you grow there.

I was thinking that y ou should do a high bar squat (not w/ the bar low on the back like a Powerlifter), ass in the bucket as they say (butt to heels). Save your back for the SLDL's

-R

P.S. That was me in 2001, I think. Only shot I had showing the glutes like that...

Leave a comment:

• tugs
    replied
    randy--in #1--is there a reason you say do squats first?cause usally after the 20 rep squat pause/rest routine i,m too done to do anything else.
    and in #2 ---DLDL'S?? do you mean deads? or stiff legs? cause if you mean deads thats fine with me except maybe it would be too much on the legs for recovery? or not? I,m 6 ' 230--but everything is in the upper body--i,m trying to build up my chiken legs.
    thanks
    ps.,was that you in the pic with thw sneakers??? awesome really!!

Leave a comment:

• homonunculus
    replied
    Originally posted by tugs
    yes I do--I only workout 2x a wk workout 1 is
    (now)stiffdeads
    pullups
    ez curl and hammer
    shrugs
    20 rep squat(1 set)

workout 2 4 days later is
    incline bench
    close grip bench
    skulls
    milatery seated
    GIVEN THOSE EXERCISES, I would try this:
    Squat
    Pullups
    EZ curl and Hammer
    ADD: ABDOMINAL WORK (weighted crunches of some sort)
    (no shrug necessary)

SLDL's
    Inc. Bench
    Military
    close grip bench, skulls
    ADD: ABDOMINAL WORK: high rep crunches (~100 reps)

-Randy

Leave a comment:

• SweatMachine
    replied
    When my wife does stiffs I have to take a position behind her so the dorks dont stare at her, you know what. Not that I blame em, but damn use the mirrors dudes!

Leave a comment:

• cat
    replied
    Originally posted by KidRok
    I would do a couple sets, with stiff-leged it really is more productive to use proper form as opposed to alot of weight. I prefer dubells but barbell works fine too. Just try to keep the bar close to your body, stick your azz way out as you descend, when going up conciously think of pushing the bar up by driving your pelvis forward squeezing the glutes. This not only takes a ton of workload of the lower back but hits the glutes really hard too.
    I prefer dumbbells over barbells too

I just never do hams and quads the same day ~ Too much for me and I good results...I think I'll stick to what I'm doing

Leave a comment:

• SweatMachine
    replied
    yea I was just under the 2000 club
    My official PR was 1985

Leave a comment:

• mark mcgwire
    replied
    Originally posted by KidRok
    with stiff-leged it really is more productive to use proper form as opposed to alot of weight.
    tugs try the barbell and try the dumbells and see which you like better.

i prefer the dumbells over the barbell too. I use 70-75 lb dumbells with slow reps...down slow (keeping back flat) get a good stretch in the hams, and then up slow with a squeeze at the top.

Leave a comment:

• Kidrok (Hop)
    replied
    I would do a couple sets, with stiff-leged it really is more productive to use proper form as opposed to alot of weight. I prefer dubells but barbell works fine too. Just try to keep the bar close to your body, stick your azz way out as you descend, when going up conciously think of pushing the bar up by driving your pelvis forward squeezing the glutes. This not only takes a ton of workload of the lower back but hits the glutes really hard too.

Leave a comment:

• SuperSport
    replied
    Originally posted by SweatMachine

@ 240lbs I squated 745lbs deadlifted 685lb, this methodology works, you need the rest and recouperation to grow from such a compound movement.
    Sweat, you are a strong bastard bro!
    I think I read in one of your earlier posts that you benched 545??

Damn, that is a 2000 total!!!

Awesome man.

Leave a comment:

• tugs
    replied
    Any good tips on doing the stiffs? thanks

Leave a comment:

• SweatMachine
    replied
    Damn bro, 20 reps is that 30 total reps?

$4x 5 sets is ok....

deads should be alternated with squats.
    one week squat, one week dead.

Id do the Stiffs on you squat day.
    @ 240lbs I squated 745lbs deadlifted 685lb, this methodology works, you need the rest and recouperation to grow from such a compound movement.

Leave a comment:

• IM^
    replied
    The only thing about deads is that if you do them incorrectly (meaning if you don't have someone knowledgeable next to you to show you how to do them) you can permanently ruin your lower back. Do them by all means, but make sure you do these right. They place the back in a very vulnerable position.

Leave a comment:

• tugs
    replied
    Get big--I,m 50--not interested in being shredded at all--I,m 6' 235---want to get my arms huge(now 18") so i know i have to put on more overall mass--thats why i,m now in squat mentality mode!

Leave a comment:

• Syn
    replied
    What are your goals?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X