I want to add stiff deads to my squat routine...,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to add stiff deads to my squat routine...,

what I do already is the 20 rep squat routine,biceps,shrugs and pullups--will the stiff deads be ok? why?-thanks
    what muscles do stiffs primaraliy work?
    Last edited by tugs; 03-15-2004, 08:28 AM.

I personally don't like deadlifts at all... but here is oodles of info, hope that helps you out

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...gDeadlift.html
    Pain is weakness leaving the body...

Comment

What I was thinking was that cause the 20 rep squat is to demanding that doing the stiff leg deads before the squats would be too much and compromise my squats.(overtraing)
      But now I,m thinking that since the stifflegs primarily work the back(is that true?) it would be kosher

maybe i,m just thinking too much!!!!!!

Comment

They work primarily the hams and lower back muscles.

I do 'em prior to squats. I'm doin' DC's program, which means I only do them one out of every three ham exercises.

xcel
        Lift Smarter, not more
        60% Nutrition - 25% Workout - 10% Rest - 5% Supplementation

Comment

I do mine prior to squatting as well...in fact it almost seems like I have to do some type of hamstring exercise prior to doing squats or I cant lift as much and things seem to not move as fluid...

Nice link on that BTW....

-slide
          "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."

"Carry 24/7 or guess right."

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"993 yo f9t[n9y[I8itineraryBMiy v][/t u 98 oh 99 u]y8y u[/hy jyip NH j o have I h"

Comment

Excellent hamstring builder if preformed correctly.

Do you do bicep curls, pullups, shrugs and squats all on the same day??
            [email protected]AnabolicMonsterz.com
            [email protected]AnabolicReview.com
            [email protected]IronBodybuilding.com
            [email protected]BeyondMass.com

Comment

yes I do--I only workout 2x a wk workout 1 is
              (now)stiffdeads
              pullups
              ez curl and hammer
              shrugs
              20 rep squat(1 set)

workout 2 4 days later is
              incline bench
              close grip bench
              skulls
              milatery seated

Comment

What are your goals?
                Kid's Wench :flex: and Bon-Bon's sis
                Ask me about FitnessXLOnline.com
                www.TrueProtein.com
                *use FXL222 for a discount on your 1st purchase

Comment

Get big--I,m 50--not interested in being shredded at all--I,m 6' 235---want to get my arms huge(now 18") so i know i have to put on more overall mass--thats why i,m now in squat mentality mode!

Comment

The only thing about deads is that if you do them incorrectly (meaning if you don't have someone knowledgeable next to you to show you how to do them) you can permanently ruin your lower back. Do them by all means, but make sure you do these right. They place the back in a very vulnerable position.

Comment

Damn bro, 20 reps is that 30 total reps?

$4x 5 sets is ok....

deads should be alternated with squats.
                      one week squat, one week dead.

Id do the Stiffs on you squat day.
                      @ 240lbs I squated 745lbs deadlifted 685lb, this methodology works, you need the rest and recouperation to grow from such a compound movement.
                      SweatMachine
                      (pronounced: Swet-Mow-Sheen)

That which we manifest lies before us.

Comment

Any good tips on doing the stiffs? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by SweatMachine

@ 240lbs I squated 745lbs deadlifted 685lb, this methodology works, you need the rest and recouperation to grow from such a compound movement.
                          Sweat, you are a strong bastard bro!
                          I think I read in one of your earlier posts that you benched 545??

Damn, that is a 2000 total!!!

Awesome man.
                          [email protected] http://www.proactivehealthnet.com

" We know that to err is human, but the HIV/AIDS hypothesis is one hell of a mistake"
                          Dr. Kary Mullis, Nobel Prize Winner in Chemistry for inventing the Polymerase Chain Reaction

"The fact is that you can not start off with bad science and end up with good medicine"

Comment

I would do a couple sets, with stiff-leged it really is more productive to use proper form as opposed to alot of weight. I prefer dubells but barbell works fine too. Just try to keep the bar close to your body, stick your azz way out as you descend, when going up conciously think of pushing the bar up by driving your pelvis forward squeezing the glutes. This not only takes a ton of workload of the lower back but hits the glutes really hard too.
                            -KidRok-
                            "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
                            5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

Originally posted by KidRok
                              with stiff-leged it really is more productive to use proper form as opposed to alot of weight.
                              tugs try the barbell and try the dumbells and see which you like better.

i prefer the dumbells over the barbell too. I use 70-75 lb dumbells with slow reps...down slow (keeping back flat) get a good stretch in the hams, and then up slow with a squeeze at the top.

Comment

Working...
                              X