Coming back after a lay off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming back after a lay off

I am in the middle of a forced lay off - first with a throat infection and now because I cant pay me gym subs - well okay I could, but I am choosing to spend it on Christmas and bills etc - like a responsible family member.

Anyway - I had planned to have a 10 bulk in January before hitting my show prep diet.
    The bulk was all diet food just in higher quantities - 400g protein and 300g carbs - as minimums, as opposed to the 300, 50 that I cut on.

Given I will be assisted on my bulk - do you guys think its fine to continue with that plan or should I go straight to show prep mode ??

I cannot make my mind up whether the shock of the training, cardio and food will give me a big hike forward in muscle mass, or whether going from maintenace cals and a little cardio to a full on show prep will give me a massive hike in fat loss

Theoretically I can argue that i will get more benfit from fat loss and muscle gain to myself - so any extra ideas really appreciated.

any input?

what are ur current stats man? how long do u have before contest day? where's ur bodyfat at? sucks u got a throat infection, and it really sucks to have a forced layoff.. u'll be back. Just tell us whats going on with u physically, and the time frame u got?

Pudge
    " A great man shows his greatness by the way he treats little men"

"Never laugh at anyone's dreams. People who dont have dreams dont have much"

"if you're going through hell... keep going"

Comment

I think that it would all depend on how long it would take you to peak for your comp. That's the most important factor of all.

Comment

Time frame I am 294 and I have to lose around 17% bodyfat which is 40lbs, diet isnt really a problem in that thats my specialty knowledge wise - and I know what I have to do to bring that down.
        In jan I start with 3 sessions of 40 mins for cardio, as I dont have the time in the day to do 2x1 hour - but can get these squeezed in, the first is at 6am on an empty stomach, the second at 10:30 right before my meal thats due at 11:30, and the last is right after my weights workout.
        Thats 5 days a week, then sat is 2 cardio session and sun off.

Time wise the season starts in may and the last qualifier is usually the last weekend of september - so thats the window - may to sept. Its more important to me to come in my best possible shape and make a great 1st impression.

Personally I would like to do a may show and then the last qualifier in september and that way I could possibly qualify for my class rather than the 1st timers or intermediates.

Im not dwelling on the lay off - its really got to me when I realised as i have been back for 2 years, and last year it took a fever that nearly hospitalised me from a throat infection to keep me out , then I get an infection again this year at the same time of year - otherwise I always find a way.

Now I am working on my game plan and getting a business up and running, and staying positive.

My wife keeps telling me that I am looking much better now I have filled out,keeping my spirits up, and my weight hasnt risen or dropped, but I feel fat, sloppy and weak.

Comment

I should add really - that I have been calorie restricted pretty consistently for 2 years bar 1 week off and a few special days (about 5 in total) and have taken my bodyfat % down from 55% and my bodyweight from 370.
          So this would be my first proper bulk - a typical day would be this (weights are net amounts - ie what i get out of the portion)
          6:00-6:40 cardio
          8:30
          50g whey (in water with creatine), 50g chicken, 50g brown rice, broccoli and green beans
          (the gap is because I am busy from 6:50 with my boy and wife getting ready etc and because I dont like eating before 8am)

11:40
          25g whey in water, 75 chicken, 50g brown rice, veggies.

2:30
          75g beef, 50g brown rice, veggies

pre-workout - about 4:40
          50g whey, 25g oats, banana

Workout starts at 5pm

Postworkout
          75g whey, 50g glucose

Meal - about 35-45mins later
          100g beef, and 100g potates, broccoli or green beans and carrots usually.

Last meal of the day around 11pm - I go to bet around 11:45
          50g whey, 100g (gross weight) cottage cheese.

So its clean foods as you can see. Eggs and pasta get substituted in too, but to yield the same carbs and protien as those choices.

Drinks wise - I get maybe an extra 50 cals a day from coffee, diet soda.

Training i like to do pretty high volume - around 15-18 working sets per main body part and 9 tris and bis - like this.
          Mon: delts and tris
          tue back and bis
          Wed legs
          Thur: chest and tris
          Fri: traps, r, delts n bis

Abs I do 3 times a week mon, wed, fri.

Comment

whoa, whats ur bodyfat now? currently? if its still in the 50's then i would suggest u start ur prep early..

Pudge

Comment

bodyfat is no more than 20%, I live in a different area so its not being done by the same person/method as when it was measured at 55%.
              Ive done a few measurements with calipers and had it done and the lowest was 16 and the highest 20.
              oh - and I dont have pics, you will have to take my word for it - no digi cam or scanner right now.

Comment

wow, thats a big difference in numbers.. i would keep eating clean if i were u. Are u "on" rite now? on anything?

Pudge

Comment

QDI, Hell of a story there, very good job...
                  "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

Nice work, bro, shit thats some good progress
                    Official Web Designer of Intensemuscle.com :peace:

Advocate for Socially Relevant Search Engine -http://theenginuity.com

Comment

Not on anything right now - but will be starting Jan.
                      It wont be a lot tho, 100mg prop eod, and t3 @ 25mcg, plus the my usual vits and minerals, just to ease things along

Comment

sounds good.. just keep hitting it hard... question, why only prop and T3?

Pudge

Comment

2 reasons - firstly is its nice and cheap (have all the t3 in anyway, only buying the prop) - and the second is I was really responsive to prop and t3 last time I did them -
                          I wanted something to help retain my muscle and keep my metabolism up, and [email protected] actually seems mildly anabolic on me - going from past experience.

Also got some good news today - Im back training, raised some money above what Christmas is costing (ah the joys of family) and the Mrs is insisting I get my mopey ass back in the gym

So Pudge - I was thinking that the prop etc and my new training in Jan would give my body a kick in the backside and help me put on a few lean pounds which I can keep on the way down to the show.

Comment

Working...
                          X