help with triceps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with triceps

hey guys.. am new to intense muscle. anyways.. my weakness on my body is my triceps.. am in a good bulking stage right now so nutruition aint the problem. my question is what exercises will best increase mass in my triceps and if i should go heavy or light. Thanks Dconn

Heavy...big weights = big muscles.The only exception being when you are as old as me,then just lifting the bar of the rack is an achievement in itself.

Comment

Welcome to IM Dconn.
      As BigBrian stated, heavy weights is the way to go, just protect the elbows and wrap them if necessary. weighted dips and smith machine close grips are 2 of my favorites.
      -KidRok-
      "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
      5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

close grip bench presses and pushdowns... thats all i do, but i kill them with those two movements... hardcore work builds hardcore freaky triceps..

If ur already doing heavy weights and ur tri's are not growing maybe u should lower the weight and work on ur form... try to feel ur triceps working and not ur shoulders... feel the muscle, then load up on the heavy stuff..

Pudge
        Last edited by pudge; 12-02-2004, 01:56 AM.
        " A great man shows his greatness by the way he treats little men"

"Never laugh at anyone's dreams. People who dont have dreams dont have much"

"if you're going through hell... keep going"

Comment

I've done about every tricep exercise imaginable and here are the exercises I found most productive...

1) Skull Crushers
          2) Unilateral Overhead DB Press
          3) Cable Pressdown (unilateral variation is good, using a rope version is excellent variation)
          4) Reverse Cable Pressdown
          5) Bar dips (weighted if necessary)
          6) Dumbbell Kickbacks

If I could only pick two, I'd pick #1 and #3.

As always, learning the proper technique and using strict form is key! I know a guy at my gym who does cable press downs and leans into the weight. He's using is body weight to help him push an impressive stack. However, it be much better off to strip some weight, stand straight up, and make his triceps do the work.

Romans 1:16-17

:director: for 5% off products from trueprotein.com, use the discount code MWD888

100% doing it myself and 100% accountable for what I do. No excuses. -- Sparky

Find a seasoned mentor and learn. My biggest improvements have come not from hours of tedious research, but by listening to those who have been in the trenches -- Sparky

Judges expect muscle but respect conditioning -- Sparky

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky
            I've done about every tricep exercise imaginable and here are the exercises I found most productive...

1) Skull Crushers
            2) Unilateral Overhead DB Press
            3) Cable Pressdown (unilateral variation is good, using a rope version is excellent variation)
            4) Reverse Cable Pressdown
            5) Bar dips (weighted if necessary)
            6) Dumbbell Kickbacks

If I could only pick two, I'd pick #1 and #3.

As always, learning the proper technique and using strict form is key! I know a guy at my gym who does cable press downs and leans into the weight. He's using is body weight to help him push an impressive stack. However, it be much better off to strip some weight, stand straight up, and make his triceps do the work.
            If I see you doing kickbacks in the gym, I am going to push you over. lol And that goes for anyone on here that does kickbacks. Squatting would give better tricep development.

: )

Not picking on you - just being .... well.... a dick, I suppose.

Skip

Comment

Skip,

No worries man.. always ready to be educated. Is it that the exercise is bad, or that it is rarely done correctly. I find when I do the exercise slowly, and squeeze at the top, my tricep gets hammered pretty well. I do think it is easy to use momentum and other muscle groups in a manner that takes the resistance in places it where it doesn't belong.

What have you found out that I need to know?

Thanks!

Romans 1:16-17

:director: for 5% off products from trueprotein.com, use the discount code MWD888

100% doing it myself and 100% accountable for what I do. No excuses. -- Sparky

Find a seasoned mentor and learn. My biggest improvements have come not from hours of tedious research, but by listening to those who have been in the trenches -- Sparky

Judges expect muscle but respect conditioning -- Sparky

Comment

My insight on this is...... you can't build muscle just doing one exercise, and if you can you would of grown no matter what you've done.

Best to mix things up.... do a specific exercise for 2-3 weeks than try another one, and keep trying to peak at all exercises

I do dumbbell over head tricep pushups those are my favorite than theres skull crushers, than rope pulldowns, close grip presses, ect. ect.

Pick one. Everything works, but nothing works forever

alternate reps... I do this week1: reps of 12 week2: reps of 10 week3: reps of 8 week4: reps of 6 week5 reps of 4

Comment

Originally posted by Skip
                  If I see you doing kickbacks in the gym, I am going to push you over. lol And that goes for anyone on here that does kickbacks. Squatting would give better tricep development.

: )

Not picking on you - just being .... well.... a dick, I suppose.

Skip
                  LOL, im with you bro.

Try as I may I have NEVER been able to get my triceps to fire doing this dicky little movement.

I would rather not work tricep at all (just let my heavy pressing do the work) than waste my time doing kickbacks.

Im sure some get OK results from them for for me they are crap.

Just my 2 cc's worth.

:showoff:
                  "Beneath all suffering.........lies the beauty of opportunity"

Comment

Originally posted by Dmwrss
                    Pick one. Everything works, but nothing works forever
                    I will give you 24 hours to recant this statement. j/k : ) Well, sort of a joke, anyway.

Everything does NOT work equally. If you are saying that kickbacks or any other isolation exercise with one arm at a time (like one arm reverse grip cable pressdowns) work for adding tricep mass, then I can't even have this debate. Yes, I suppose that if you never trained and you started doing kickbacks they might work for increasing size but otherwise, they are useless in my opinion. However, anyone that has spent any time putting up some weight will not benefit in the size department from kickbacks.

You do kickbacks for 4 months and then do lying tricep extensions for 4 months and come back and report your progress. I guarantee the outcome of that experiment.

Hell, leg extensions will make my quads feel like a blow torch is on them but that doesn't mean they are growing.

Sparky:
                    My point is more that doing isolation work does little for size in relation to heavy, compound movements. Squats or presses over leg extensions, shoulder presses over side laterals, lying tricep extensions over kickbacks. You will feel more of a pump and this leads you to believe that it is effective when in reality, the pump means little and should never be the primary guage of whether something is effective or not.

I have a rule that I refuse to train one side of the body at one time, too, but that is just me. With the exception of one arm dumbell rows, I can't think of one movement that would be more beneficial to do one side at a time over doing them both at the same time.

Just my opinion but ......

Skip

Comment

so the best triceps movements are skullcrusher,pressdowns, and dips ? and absolutely no kickbacks! is this right?

Comment

smith machine close grips
                        Yup....These have made a difference. You should try them.
                        Kid's Wench :flex: and Bon-Bon's sis
                        Ask me about FitnessXLOnline.com
                        www.TrueProtein.com
                        *use FXL222 for a discount on your 1st purchase

Comment

what about reverse grip presses. iv'e always been a big fan of those but i dont think anyone has mentioned them
                          My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable. I'm unna eat your style, i'm unna eat your style's kids.

Comment

Now wait a minute, here. I am not going to get into saying that the specific exercises that I mention are the best and others don't work. What I AM saying is that if you want to grow, drop the isolation work and hit compound work hard and heavy. TECHNICALLY, lying tri extensions aren't a compound movement because there is only flexion at one joint (elbow). However, these are the exception to the rule.

Good compound movements for size (both arms at the same time):

lying tricep extensions with a bar either incline, decline, flat bench, seated or whatever angle.
                            close grip bench with either an over or under grip
                            dips

Do not forget that heavy chest and shoulder pressing hits the triceps very hard, too.

Skip

Comment

yes, smith close grip presses are my favorite tri exercise....
                              TRAIN
                              EAT
                              SLEEP

DC STYLE!!!

www.trueprotein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X