Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Larger Pecs

Folks,

One area that I need to work on is the size of my pecs. My pecs are okay, but could use a bit more mass.

The only constraint I have involves heavy bench press. When I go really heavy on bench, I tend to have issues with my shoulders. I have cleaned up my form a bit and that has helped.

To build mass what would you suggest?
    * Exercises
    * Sets
    * Repetitions

Here's what I have done (usually pick 3 of these for a workout)
    * Dumbbell Flys - I normally start at 50s x 12, 60s x 10, 70s x 8-10
    * Machine Flys - 3 sets, 175x16, 225x10, 250x6
    * Decline Hammer - 180x12, 230x10, 270x8, 320x6
    * Incline Bench - 135x16, 175x10, 195x8
    * Cable Cross Over - 70x12, 80x12, 90x10, 100x8
    * Low Cable Cross Over - 3 sets but not sure what the weight is
    * Dips - 3 sets of 16-32 reps each (depending on pace of rep)
    * Pushups - 3 sets of 30-40 reps (finishing exercise normally)
    * Incline Hammer - 180x10, 230x8, 270x6

Thanks guys and gals!

Sparky

Romans 1:16-17

:director: for 5% off products from trueprotein.com, use the discount code MWD888

100% doing it myself and 100% accountable for what I do. No excuses. -- Sparky

Find a seasoned mentor and learn. My biggest improvements have come not from hours of tedious research, but by listening to those who have been in the trenches -- Sparky

Judges expect muscle but respect conditioning -- Sparky

Incline/Decline/Dips

all 2-3 sets 6-10 reps

the most important is FOOD!
    TRAIN
    EAT
    SLEEP

DC STYLE!!!

www.trueprotein.com

Comment

What angle would you say you perform the Incline Presses at?

Most people I see doing Inclines are doing too high of an incline. At my Gym we have stationary incline benches that you cannot raise or lower. Everytime I have used these I feel it work mainly my shoulders.

The best I have found is a mobile bench that I can bring to the smith machine. I keep it at 10-15 degrees (usually only 1-2 notches up from parallel) and that hits my chest a lot better.

Another machine that I like is a sort of horizontal bench press machine. I think it's a Flex or Hammer Strength machine. You sit upright and press straight out in front of you. You can load tons of weight on it and it seems to hit my chest hard.

The #1 best thing to happen to me and my training is Dante. While I don't follow his program I really liked his principle of beating the log book. Ever since I have done that I went from barely being able to bench 225 on the Smith to doing sets with 365lbs. My wife is repping out 145lbs likes it's cake and some of the guys in my gym can't incline that much.

Another thing that I just started doing were exercises that I and my body don't "like". Even back when I was big I never squatted and my old training partner would get pissed that my legs were so big. I just started Squatting and Deadlifting for the first time in the 6-7 years I've been training and it's awesome!
      COLORADO NPC CONTEST SCHEDULE, RESULTS AND PICTURES
      www.jefftaylor.com

Comment

Here are the various forms of incline that I do
        1) Fixed Bench - I do feel it in my chest, but I'm sure my shoulders are working hard also
        2) Incline DB Bench - I usually set the bench angle myself, but I'd bet it closely matches the Fixed bench angle.
        3) Incline Hammer

When you say beating the log book, I assume that you mean that either your weight or your reps go up each workout. Is that it?

thanks!

Spark

:director: for 5% off products from trueprotein.com, use the discount code MWD888

Find a seasoned mentor and learn. My biggest improvements have come not from hours of tedious research, but by listening to those who have been in the trenches -- Sparky

Comment

Yeah, exactly Sparky.

I'm 100% natural right now and never thought I'd be able to get 6 reps with 3 plates and a 25 per side...even on the smith machine.

My wife was benching a 10lb plate each side for the past 2-3 years. Ever since she started lifting with me her strength is going through the roof. It's fun to challenge yourself too. I feel a better sense of accomplishment if I beat the log book.

More reps or more weight pretty much every workout...it's a blast.

Try to do a lower angle incline and see if you can feel it in your chest better.
          www.jefftaylor.com

Comment

I'm embarrassed to say that I've never pushed more than 270 on flat bench (not including machines). I usually don't go higher than 235-245 during my workout (6 reps). Every time I go heavy, I end up with tweaks in my shoulders. I think I just have to be patient and methodical like you are saying.

Grrrr....

Sparky

Comment

Just remember that, if your diet is on, getting stronger will mean more muscle. 3-4 months ago I was barely able to do 4 reps with 225lbs. Now I do my 3rd warm up set with that weight. Seriously, it's amazing what you can do!
              www.jefftaylor.com

Comment

i have had the same problem and i got a couple of great suggesions...If you have problems with your shoulders get a few deep tissue massages to loosen up the area in the joints..it sounds like you have restricted blood flow and a little nerve impinchment...i have done all the excercises you listed with good results but when i started doing....TAA DAA !!! DUMBELLS...WHEN i finally incoperated them into my program the meat started heaping on...Nice stretch and squeeze top to bottom on flat and very slight incline (i found when i had to much of a incline it streesed my shoulders and not so much my pecs..

Incline dumbells 30 ' 3 set warm up and 1 heavy
                weighted dips 3 warm ups and 1 heavy
                flat bench flyes with cables not dumbells

This worked well for me we are all different good luck ...
                I will strike down upon thee with great vengence and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brother and you will know my name is the Lord when i lay my vengence upon thee ...

Comment

DC's extreme dumbell flye stretch has made a big difference in the shape and thickness of my chest.

Comment

I would also say adding dumbell presses incline or flat would help. Try to go as heavy as possible without sacrificing form and get a good squeeze at the top of each rep.

Comment

Working...
                    X