Dealing with Low Energy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealing with Low Energy

As you all know, I'm prepping for my first contest. I still have 4 lbs of fat to drop in the next 2 weeks. If things continue as they have thus far I should be alright.

However, I am really dragging lately. Like today I was dragging serious butt for about half the day. Finally I had a protein shake, a salad w/Olive Oil dressing, and some natural peanut butter. Now I feel fine.

Here's the question. Am I dragging because I'm not eating enough? Am I dragging because this stuff is just hard and that is part of the game? When I'm feeling this way should I a) suck it up b) eat more protein, c) eat more good fat, d) eat low glycemic carbs, e) none of the above.

At this point I am willing to be utterly tortured if that is what it takes to be looking great on November 6th. However, if I am just suffering for no reason and perhaps screwing myself up, I want to adjust.

Thanks!

Spark

Romans 1:16-17

:director: for 5% off products from trueprotein.com, use the discount code MWD888

100% doing it myself and 100% accountable for what I do. No excuses. -- Sparky

Find a seasoned mentor and learn. My biggest improvements have come not from hours of tedious research, but by listening to those who have been in the trenches -- Sparky

Judges expect muscle but respect conditioning -- Sparky

How low are your carbs at this time bro?

How long are you training per day?

How much volume and how much cardio and how often do you train per week?

How many calories are you taking in per day?

How many hours of slep per night,and do you take naps during the day?

Check all of the above and you`ll probably find your answer.
    The Phoenix Rising

Comment

Originally posted by ski
      How low are your carbs at this time bro?

How long are you training per day?

How much volume and how much cardio and how often do you train per week?

How many calories are you taking in per day?

How many hours of slep per night,and do you take naps during the day?

Check all of the above and you`ll probably find your answer.

Carbs - I am cycling between low carb days and high carb days. I go 2 low carb days followed by a carb up day. My low carb days include 3 servings of low glycemic carbs. My high carb days include 5-6 servings of low glycemic carbs.

Training - my morning workout is usually 1 hour 15 minutes. I lift for 45 minutes and then do 30 minutes of cardio. In the evening I do 30 minutes of cardio. My cardio is in the fat burning to low cardio range.

Calories - I am not counting calories. Instead I am judging my portions and getting to state where I feel full. However, much of the food I am eating is high fiber veggies. My carbohydrates are brown rice, oatmeal (with blueberries), and sweet potatoes. I also take in good fat in the form of Olive oil based dressing, egg yolks (not many), and natural peanut butter. The majority of my calories comes from protein. I'd bet right now my calories are about equal to my Resting Metabolic Rate or perhaps a bit higher.

Sleep - I am getting about 7 hours of sleep per night.

My guess is that I'm not getting enough calories. Today I had some natural peanut butter and a nice NitroTech protein shake and I felt so much better.

Right now I think I am walking a fine line between going catabolic and not burning enough fat.

Spark

:director: for 5% off products from trueprotein.com, use the discount code MWD888

Find a seasoned mentor and learn. My biggest improvements have come not from hours of tedious research, but by listening to those who have been in the trenches -- Sparky

Comment

It doesn`t look bad Sparky.

try upping the cals a bit from clean sources and possibly cutting back on cardio a bit a few days a week and relying more on your diet and training.

Twice a day cardio can be a bitch and is very draining and I feel it`s often uneeded as long as you give yourself 16 -20 weeks to prep.............depending on your condition.
        The Phoenix Rising

Comment

Sparky, I know what your feeling bro, there been days I couldn't train because I felt tired or weak. And caffine can give you a bit of an extra boost, perhaps upping you coffee a bit more might give you the added push in the home stretch. The double cardio sessions are a bitch to do I know, but some people need it and some don't..

But ti sounds like your cal are very low perhaps too low.
          Official Web Designer of Intensemuscle.com :peace:

Advocate for Socially Relevant Search Engine -http://theenginuity.com

Comment

My thoughts regarding your problem is that you are not getting enough good fat calories. When I feel draggy and out of energy, I will take a couple of tablespoon fulls of a good form of oil. Sure, it doesn't taste very good, but it will give you the nergy you need as well as the better source of fat. My wife often tells people I am the only person she knows who can drink oil and still lose bodyfat. But I am hardly the only one who has found that out!

Comment

Folks,

You ROCK! I switched things up a bit today. In the morning I normally go to the gym on an empty stomach. Today I had a small protein shake before training. Immediately after my training I had a Myoplex Shake and 1/2 cup of oatmeal. I feel awesome right now.

For the rest of the day I'll be going with protein, veggies, and good fats (thinking about getting some flax oil).

I really appreciate your advice. Keep it comin if you have other ideas!

Spark

Comment

Are you supplementing with a good multi vit and mineral complex? This could be a major cause of running out of gas...
                Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Comment

I am taking a multivitamin but I don't know if it's a good brand or not. I think it's just something my wife picked up from target. My Myoplex shakes are loaded with vitamins and minerals but I usually have one of those a day.

Do you have any recommenadation on multivitamins?

Spark

Comment

Working...
                  X