Damn that bar feels heavy today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn that bar feels heavy today

If you are doing a particular excercise using big weights and the bar feels extra heavy, or extra light, it may be because it is. Some 45 lb olympic plates will be off as much as 7 lbs from my experience in weighing many. put pne that is 4 lbs over on one side, and another that is 5 lbs off on the other and your load is 9 lbs heavier than you thought, and it feels like a ton heavier. It goes to reason if they are light, you will feel like superman. What is the answer to this?? There really isn't one if you workout in a commercial gym. If you workout at a home gym like I do, weigh all your plates and always use the matched pairs.

I have weighed HUNDREDS for a couple gyms and friends over the years on certified scales, and they vary a LOT.

Iron Addict
    www.ironaddicts.com

Very interseting IA...I didn't know that the plates could be that much off the scale. May have to weigh some in next time I go.....
    Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Comment

Most are off 1-3 lbs. Some more. I remeber being pissed off about this so I want to a sporting goods store and bought some really expensive ivankos. They were off more than some of the chinees CHEAP plates.

Iron Addict
      www.ironaddicts.com

Comment

Good point. I am superstitious about plates.
        International Elite Raw Powerlifter
        Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

How about bars, damn we have 750 lb bars and one weighs 44 lbs another 52, another 47, we do have one 1000 lb bar and it comes in at 62 lbs, the only plates I know that are the exact weight they say is comp plates they are dead on in Kilos...
          "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

The guy that is using that 62 lb bar with 6, 4 lb overwieght plates is gonna walk off pissed off that day-lol

Iron Addict
            www.ironaddicts.com

Comment

This is a good point, IA. However, I don't care about the weight being heavier or lighter as a whole but what bothers me is I can tell immediately if one side is even a couple pounds heavier than the other side.

At our gym, all weights are the same. They are all black, rubber edged plates BUT.... we have old ones that are dull and less shiny and we have newer ones that are shinier but you really have to look closely. The new ones are heavier than the old ones. It drives my training partners crazy that I always use old ones on anything free weight that takes balance but I don't care if they are mixed up if it is a machine that is "fixed".

I first noticed that plates were sometimes different weights a long time ago when I bought weider plates for my home gym when I was a young teenager. The 25s were off so bad that the different between the two was 8 pounds. Nice job Weider. I appreciate your attention to detail you idiot.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
              Instagram: @intensemuscle
              YouTube: TEAMSKIP
              TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Same here, I just used the same bar, and same plates day in day out, you can tell which rubberized plates are the new ones, and which ones are the older once. I never mis match the plates when doing say barbell curls, or squats....
                Official Web Designer of Intensemuscle.com :peace:

Advocate for Socially Relevant Search Engine -http://theenginuity.com

Comment

This also reminds me of cables. Ie. Cable rows.

Been to two different gyms, both have the exact same looking cable rows machines, yet the one I used to go to when traveling to the gf, if I set it to 150, it felt like 200 set at my gym.
                  Official Web Designer of Intensemuscle.com :peace:

Advocate for Socially Relevant Search Engine -http://theenginuity.com

Comment

I wouldn't be suprised if the same thing goes for Dumbells. I swear the 40's and 50's in our gym feel different in each arm.

R

Comment

solution: just put a smiley face sticker on all the light ones and you're set!

i knew i had tons of unbalanced plates when i trained at home. every brand is very different. but at the gym, i thought the bar felt slightly unbalanced a few times but dismissed it as my grip - maybe it wasnt..hrmmm... i think im gonna weigh a few plates just for the fun of it. thanks for the thread IA.
                      www.trueprotein.com

www.proactivehealthnet.com/healthBB/

"Those who do not beleive in the impossible, should not distract those who are already doing it"

"if we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Note: i'm not an expert, but i'm probably right.

"Furthermore, the urge to overindulge is almost absent when drinking urine." - the skeptic's dictionary about urine therapy.

Comment

Working...
                      X