Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vertical Leg Press Attachments

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Vertical Leg Press Attachments

    Is anyone aware of any inexpensive attachments for a smith machine so you can do vertical leg presses? I would like to avoid putting my feet on the bar alone. I have found 2 during a quick Google search but they are $300+.

    If you've used the bar alone on the smith machine for a vertical leg press, how was that? I haven't tried it yet but I would think unracking the bar would be a pain in the ass. And if your smith machine has a slight angle, which way would you likely face?

    I need something new. I am getting bored with what I have available to me.

    True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
    *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
    •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
    *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

  • #2
    Originally posted by Collabera View Post
    Is anyone aware of any inexpensive attachments for a smith machine so you can do vertical leg presses? I would like to avoid putting my feet on the bar alone. I have found 2 during a quick Google search but they are $300+.

    If you've used the bar alone on the smith machine for a vertical leg press, how was that? I haven't tried it yet but I would think unracking the bar would be a pain in the ass. And if your smith machine has a slight angle, which way would you likely face?

    I need something new. I am getting bored with what I have available to me.
    It's not too tough. I've been doing these for years.

    Typically, I lie such that the hooks of the smith turn backward to unrack and back over and towards me to rack. (That seems to me to feel more important than the angle of travel of the bar. You'll just have to adjust your positioning under the bar to make that feel right.)

    Main thing is to give it a try and USE THE SAFETIES.

    -S
    The Book Has Arrived!
    The Book Has Arrived!

    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"


    www.TrueNutrition.com

    2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

    Comment


    • #3
      Scott, I was hoping you'd chime in on this one. I have legs tomorrow so I will try it that way. I thought about the safeties. I cannot imagine dropping that bar on myself. Do you do yours on the floor or on a bench? I've seen a few people go on a flat bench. I figure floor isn't any different.

      In your "smith sissy hack squat" video there was an attachment you had for a vertical leg press. Was that only for that particular machine?

      True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
      *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
      •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
      *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Collabera View Post
        Scott, I was hoping you'd chime in on this one. I have legs tomorrow so I will try it that way. I thought about the safeties. I cannot imagine dropping that bar on myself. Do you do yours on the floor or on a bench? I've seen a few people go on a flat bench. I figure floor isn't any different.

        In your "smith sissy hack squat" video there was an attachment you had for a vertical leg press. Was that only for that particular machine?
        I go on the floor for those. No need to commandeer a bench and it makes it easier to load the plates on and off. (I sometimes fill the bar and have to add bands, too...).

        Yeah, that was just for that machine. If you can find a real vertical leg press - cherish it!

        -S
        The Book Has Arrived!
        The Book Has Arrived!

        Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"


        www.TrueNutrition.com

        2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
        2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
        2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

        Comment


        • #5
          Make sure to check eBay and Craigslist collabera.
          The average silverback gorilla in the wild is between 5'7 and 5'11, and weighs between 298 and 397 pounds (according to wikipedia). Why not shoot for that?

          -LoRez from T Nation

          Comment


          • #6
            I've thought of creating an attachment but like Scott said, the bar works just fine. Sometimes the pressure on the arch of my foot gets a little annoying but it's doable. I push up with my feet at an angle like I am at the top of a calf raise, and then drop my heels, that rotates the bar so the hooks are clear.
            2013 NPC Heartland Classic OKC - 1st Men's Lightheavyweight Novice/Overall

            Comment


            • #7
              Scott do you have videos of this and the smith sissy from the side? I'm trying to judge the line up of feet/hips/bar to make sure my line of travel is right. I've played around a bit with positioning but thought a video might be helpful to watch.
              "This is your life. It is the only one you get. So no excuses, and no do-overs. If you make a mistake or fail at something you learn from it, you get over it and you move on. Your job is to be the very best person you can be and to never settle for anything less."
              ~ Ann Richards, former TX governor

              Comment


              • #8
                Tried it today with just the bar. Actually wasn't too bad and I'll continue to do it. Knowing where to lay down under the bar was a challenge because the smith machine angles a good amount.

                Worked up to a set of 20 with 6 plates on each side. Only reason I didn't keep going up in weight was I had a hard time reracking with 6 plates. If I have someone to help me rack and unrack the bar I could probably load up the whole thing. Might be a limited exercises after a while because I don't like putting bands on a leg press type movement. Destroys my joints.

                The arch in the foot was a pain. But I think if I wore some real shoes and not my new balance minimus, that wouldn't be an issue.

                I could take some yoga blocks, cut them to where I could wrap them around the bar, put some puddy or something sticky on the inside to prevent them from sliding out and help turn the bar and that would give a little more of a foot bed.

                True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
                *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
                •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
                *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by sampsellta View Post
                  Make sure to check eBay and Craigslist collabera.
                  I haven't checked eBay yet. I'll look. I think my yoga block idea would work though.

                  True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
                  *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
                  •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
                  *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jen View Post
                    Scott do you have videos of this and the smith sissy from the side? I'm trying to judge the line up of feet/hips/bar to make sure my line of travel is right. I've played around a bit with positioning but thought a video might be helpful to watch.
                    I would have sworn I filmed myself once, but I didn't upload it. (I lost a ton of vids last year.)

                    There are a bunch on youtube that might help.

                    As far as the smith sissy hack, my vid shows a 45˚ angle, but you really just have to mess around with finding your sweet spot on that one. It will feel odd, esp. for folks who tend to press a lot with their glutes and hams. It should be VERY hard - more so than expected - which throws folks off (making them think they're not doing it right). There was a competition for a bit on a UK board I advertise / post on (http://testosteronemuscle.co.uk) and a lot of the guys were putting 5-10kg plates on a side an getting <10 reps.

                    -S
                    The Book Has Arrived!
                    The Book Has Arrived!

                    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"


                    www.TrueNutrition.com

                    2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks- I bet I've been over loading it and thus not quite getting the full range of motion. Next week I'll drop the weight back and see if I can get to the same place.
                      Thanks again for the info!
                      "This is your life. It is the only one you get. So no excuses, and no do-overs. If you make a mistake or fail at something you learn from it, you get over it and you move on. Your job is to be the very best person you can be and to never settle for anything less."
                      ~ Ann Richards, former TX governor

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by homonunculus View Post

                        Yeah, that was just for that machine. If you can find a real vertical leg press - cherish it!

                        -S
                        You mean like this?? Love this machine :-) One of my favorite pieces of equipment at our gym.
                        Attached Files
                        Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Jen View Post
                          Thanks- I bet I've been over loading it and thus not quite getting the full range of motion. Next week I'll drop the weight back and see if I can get to the same place.
                          Thanks again for the info!
                          You are welcome!!!

                          Originally posted by Heckman View Post
                          You mean like this?? Love this machine :-) One of my favorite pieces of equipment at our gym.
                          Yep!!!

                          Do you find yourself getting pushed away from the machine a bit due to the slight angle?...

                          -S
                          The Book Has Arrived!
                          The Book Has Arrived!

                          Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"


                          www.TrueNutrition.com

                          2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                          2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                          2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                            You are welcome!!!



                            Yep!!!

                            Do you find yourself getting pushed away from the machine a bit due to the slight angle?...

                            -S
                            Its funny, cause I can't put my head where the head rest is....I am always right under it and my ass would basically be off the bench...if that makes sense...My head is usually about halfway on the bench..but no, in that position I don't get pushed away..
                            Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Heckman View Post
                              Its funny, cause I can't put my head where the head rest is....I am always right under it and my ass would basically be off the bench...if that makes sense...My head is usually about halfway on the bench..but no, in that position I don't get pushed away..
                              Yep, makes sense.

                              Looks like the bench angle is adjustable, too. That's pretty cool.

                              I bet it's a good quad killer (more so than if the foot plate weren't angled like that).

                              -S
                              The Book Has Arrived!
                              The Book Has Arrived!

                              Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"


                              www.TrueNutrition.com

                              2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                              2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                              2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X