McGill Big 3 exercises for lower back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McGill Big 3 exercises for lower back

I've mentioned these a few times in other threads, but I think they're valuable and effective enough to warrant their own mention.

These are 3 "core" exercises that increase tightness and stability of the midsection. I originally started doing them to help treat lower back issues I was having, and they were AMAZINGLY effective. Not only did my lower back problems go away, but I found that I was able to lift more effectively in ALL exercises due to the increased tightness and strength in my core.

The advice in the videos and on the web page says to do them every day. I did them twice a week, after training legs and after training back. Even done then, I can't overstate the difference the exercises made.

Also there's an INCREDIBLY hot chick in the videos. :kewlpics:

http://www.powerrackstrength.com/102...mcgills-big-3/

Here are the three exercises:

Bird Dog:
    [YOUTUBE]7GnTs0WS4yU[/YOUTUBE]

McGill Crunch:
    [YOUTUBE]a7gUL2JgAgY[/YOUTUBE]

Rolling Plank:
    [YOUTUBE]FiQjPLTVjb4[/YOUTUBE]
    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
    kind of a douche

I'm seriously becoming obsessed with Chelsea.

Thanks for posting this, Sammich!

I've done some of these moves in the past and they have helped. The biggest thing for me is planking because I have spondylolisthesis. Basically a vertebrae in my low back is crack away from the others it connects to and is fee to move around. Massive instability. So planking is key.

One thing I'd like to add to this list is a plank variation I do that works well and gets done quickly.

I get into a plank position but with my arms up on a small box or a bench, I rotate my hips posteriorly and crunch my abs, bringing my AB muscles into their shortest position. From here my core is tight like planking but I take it a step further and squeeze my core like I'm posing. This is hard and your core will cramp up. I do about 10-12 seconds about 5 times.

I can also do this sitting on a bench and pushing my low back towards the wall and crunching down and squeezing my core. I can make videos if I need to.

When I do these, my back pain is non existent. And I can bare a crap ton of weight on my back or on a rack pull. And that's with a broken vertebrae in my spine. Only way to fix it is surgery.

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
    *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
    •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
    *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

This is much better than the bunny pic....Thanks Sammich

Comment

bird dog from first video is the classic wrong way of performing it. she's definitely not "neutral". by reaching up with the back (tip) of he heel she is extending her lumbar-thoracic spine. instead, she should be reaching BAAAAAAACK, trying to break the wall behing her with her heel. all of that with ribs being as close to the ASIS as possible, some people get a cramps in their rectus abdominis.
        rubinsteinnyc
        Heavyweight Member
        Last edited by rubinsteinnyc; 01-05-2016, 10:09 PM.
        NEMO, NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT...

Comment

rubensteinnyc:

I have what I believe is piriformis syndrome right now and stretching is a bitch and took me over 2 minutes to get to about 85 maybe 90 percent flexibility in my right hip on Monday. Within 4 hours that mobility was back to shit - pretty much gone. The only way I get any relief right now is stretching - rolling on a lacrosse ball only seems to irritate it.

Is there anything you recommend other than stretching it because if I am not training or doing cardio I prefer to be standing or on my knees. Sitting sucks and aches/throbs. It doesn't seem to be getting better unless it is getting better so slowly I can't even tell. My lower back feels great but my hip is killing me.

You alluded to "release" for the psoas above. Is there anything related to the piriformis?

Skip

Thoughts?

Facebook: Skip Hill
          Instagram: @intensemuscle
          YouTube: TEAMSKIP
          TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
            rubensteinnyc:

I have what I believe is piriformis syndrome right now and stretching is a bitch and took me over 2 minutes to get to about 85 maybe 90 percent flexibility in my right hip on Monday. Within 4 hours that mobility was back to shit - pretty much gone. The only way I get any relief right now is stretching - rolling on a lacrosse ball only seems to irritate it.

Is there anything you recommend other than stretching it because if I am not training or doing cardio I prefer to be standing or on my knees. Sitting sucks and aches/throbs. It doesn't seem to be getting better unless it is getting better so slowly I can't even tell. My lower back feels great but my hip is killing me.

You alluded to "release" for the psoas above. Is there anything related to the piriformis?

Skip

Thoughts?
            Skip, I had piriformis syndrome and it lasted from mid-October right through late November. It was so bad that a lot of days i did not go out during hunting season because I literally could not walk 50' without having to stop and walking through the woods with boot, pack, etc was near impossible. I was going to chiro and massage therapy. I was told NOT to use my foam roller but to use heat on it. I also tried ice packs which gave temporary relief but the heat was better. Massage therapy, stretching and time seem to be the best solution in my experience.
            -KidRok-
            "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
            5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
              rubensteinnyc:

Skip

Thoughts?
              forget the ball rolling and trying to release it yourself- as you said, it will actually irritate the nerve and fibers leading to further contraction (protective mechanism)
              let's start with this, tell me what are your symptoms from the moment you wake up, write everything you experience, strength and sensations, the path that the pain/ache follows etc
              what part of the hip is killing you? is it killing you all the time? it's the right side of the hip?
              NEMO, NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT...

Comment

Working...
              X