Who's Overcome Poor Genetics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's Overcome Poor Genetics?

It's funny how we try to diet or train like po bodybuilder who have the ability to grow no matter how they train.

So I am curious what pros or NPC level bodybuilders have destroyed their average genetics. Im talking about guys who fought for years to build a respectable physique. Be it with heavy drug use or not.

Instead of breaking down the genetic freaks program or style, we should be breaking down the average genetics guy who has the level of muscle we all desire.

Heck, even if you think you are one of those guys, let's hear about what you've been doing and what you stand by.

I am curious about this because I like to watch YouTube videos of pros training but they are always during contest prep and they will make progress either way. I want to see guys training off season and the type of guys I talked about above.

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
    *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
    •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
    *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

I'm NOT TRYING TO DIS DUSTY HANSHAW BY SAYING THIS
    but I believe he has said he didn't have the GREATEST genetics and we know how he got to freak level
    And it was WORK and food

DC training for longest time i believe before he got to a VERY advanced level and started rotating in some other things in his training
    I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
    I too like to live dangerously

Comment

Originally posted by DC_catholic315 View Post
      I'm NOT TRYING TO DIS DUSTY HANSHAW BY SAYING THIS
      but I believe he has said he didn't have the GREATEST genetics and we know how he got to freak level
      And it was WORK and food

DC training for longest time i believe before he got to a VERY advanced level and started rotating in some other things in his training
      Judging from Dusty's old pics, it looks like he has decent/slighty above-average genetics, but not pro-caliber FREAK genetics. But he turned that into a pro-caliber physique by training/eating HARD, but more importantly, by doing it SMART.
      Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
      kind of a douche

Comment

I would agree
        I wonder who a good example would be then?
        I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
        I too like to live dangerously

Comment

Originally posted by DC_catholic315 View Post
          I would agree
          I wonder who a good example would be then?
          I'm not in the game enough to know anyone anymore. If you can get Skip's black ass in here, he could help. Or if you can pry Scott away from playing with dogs long enough, he would also know.
          Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
          kind of a douche

Comment

No one is going to get to elite status with poor genetics. My opinion is that no one overcomes their genetic potential, some just take longer to get there than others. Genetic potential is not circumvented by drugs, proper nutrition, proper training, etc.. It is REALIZED with those things.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
            Instagram: @intensemuscle
            YouTube: TEAMSKIP
            TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Dusty sprang to mind immediately too, but I would never say he has sub par genetics by any means though, just not as gifted as most other pros.
              Maybe John Meadows is a good example, judging by improvements he keeps making he seems to have fought tooth and nail for it.

Comment

I guess maybe the question is, what have guys with average genetics done to reach their full potential or close to it? We see so many pros train and everyone is so different. I mean we see guys like Branch and Jackson throw heavy ass weights around with little emphasize on full range of motion or concentration; things that would break my back. Then you see guys like Ben Pakulski who concentrates so heavily on the tension of the muscle contractions and being strict. I know we try and say there is no black and white, there's a lot of grey area but there HAS to be things that are better than others.

This discussion has been had over and over and sometimes I wonder if we are missing something or asking the wrong questions.

*2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
                *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

I see where you're getting at. But I think it comes down to what we already know from experience - there is no secret. We've all tried the various methods over the years from when we first start out training, up until now. Many of us have had a go at high intensity low volume programs, high volume programs, high frequency programs etc etc etc, not to mention playing around with diff diets like keto, high carb, carb cycle, dirty bulk, lean bulk, etc etc. And I think we all despite our experiences continue to wonder what the pros are doing that we aren't, or what piece of the puzzle are we missing. It really messes with your mind. But honestly I think it's all just genetics. Even with the guys with "poor genetics" who made these great transformations - I'm not fully buying it - even with those guys I would say they are blessed with better genetics than the average gym goer. And to my knowledge, drugs don't seem to be the missing secret, as some guys seem to take a lot higher doses than others, but their physiques do not reflect their high drug usage.

Please note I'm not by any means claiming to be an expert, I'm just sharing my thoughts. Also Colabera, I know you've been in the game a pretty long time too to already know everything I'm saying, but like I said, it's just a mind fuck thing that I think we all continue to go through at times, and continue to wonder "what am I missing here?"

Comment

Originally posted by Skinnyrunt View Post
                    I see where you're getting at. But I think it comes down to what we already know from experience - there is no secret. We've all tried the various methods over the years from when we first start out training, up until now. Many of us have had a go at high intensity low volume programs, high volume programs, high frequency programs etc etc etc, not to mention playing around with diff diets like keto, high carb, carb cycle, dirty bulk, lean bulk, etc etc. And I think we all despite our experiences continue to wonder what the pros are doing that we aren't, or what piece of the puzzle are we missing. It really messes with your mind. But honestly I think it's all just genetics. Even with the guys with "poor genetics" who made these great transformations - I'm not fully buying it - even with those guys I would say they are blessed with better genetics than the average gym goer. And to my knowledge, drugs don't seem to be the missing secret, as some guys seem to take a lot higher doses than others, but their physiques do not reflect their high drug usage.

Please note I'm not by any means claiming to be an expert, I'm just sharing my thoughts. Also Colabera, I know you've been in the game a pretty long time too to already know everything I'm saying, but like I said, it's just a mind fuck thing that I think we all continue to go through at times, and continue to wonder "what am I missing here?"
                    I completely agree with everything you have said here. It would be interesting to start a poll of bodybuilders across the country and ask what form of training elicited the best results, all things being the same. But that will never happen and only start a firestorm of debate. I think we've had enough of that for now

Comment

That would be interesting, but it would have to be post noobie gains because let's face it, anything works at the early stages! Unfortunately I think such a poll would still manage to be distorted by those with good genetics, where whatever they do works for them "despite" what they do, rather than working for them "because" of what they do! Also I don't think many people actually know what gave them their best results, even if they think they do, for example how many will say their best gains came right after a long cutting diet....when in my opinion, for most people the reality is that they are wrong, their bodies are simply getting back to a healthier level of body fat and filling out more and holding more water, all giving the person the illusion and fooling them into thinking they're magically growing again.

Comment

Skinny

I disagree with your about statement about "newbie".people with truly poor genetics dont make great newbie gains. They make minimal gains.

I think we are confusing good genetics with elite genetics.....people with good genetics (for the most part) are the people that are even able to compete (period). Peop
                        '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                        17 AAU Super Total
                        '16-AAU Hi
                        '15-USPA Metro
                        '15-USPA State
                        '15-AAU HI
                        '14-AAU HI
                        '14-USPA Metro
                        '14-WABDL Sonny's
                        '14-USPA State
                        '14-HI Strongman
                        '13-USPA
                        '13-WABDL Sonny's
                        '13-USPA State
                        '13-AAU HI
                        '11-USPA Metro
                        '10-NPC Stingrey
                        '09-NPC Islands
                        '09-NPC Stingrey
                        '09-ABA Islands
                        '02-ABA Islands
                        '02-ABA IronWorks
                        '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                        '01-ABA Olympia
                        '01-ABA Islands
                        '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                        '00-INBF Musclefest
                        '98-NGA Ill
                        '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
                          Skinny

I disagree with your about statement about "newbie".people with truly poor genetics dont make great newbie gains. They make minimal gains.

I think we are confusing good genetics with elite genetics.....people with good genetics (for the most part) are the people that are even able to compete (period). Peop
                          Good point, I guess to elaborate further there is definitely a spectrum when it comes to genetics. You're right, people with absolutely dreadful genetics would possibly not make any gains at all, even as a beginner. I don't think anyone who falls into that category would be a member of this board though or would continue to lift at all, though I might be wrong! I just know that if I had never made ANY gains whatsoever from when I first lifted a weight, I'd have tried my hand at video games or something instead! Seriously, it was those initial gains when I first ever trained that set me on course for this extreme hobby / lifestyle.

Comment

No no no.... Totally agree with you. People with crappy genetics usually train for a period and quit because they see no progress.

To me a guy like Dusty has great genetics maybe not to dominate the sport at the pro level but he certainly has genetics to put on a LOT of muscle/be very strong etc. does he have ideal bine structure to hang with Phil Heath? No. But neither do the very best in the world.

Most guys that are stand-out athletes can put on some muscle if they train hard etc....
                            '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                            17 AAU Super Total
                            '16-AAU Hi
                            '15-USPA Metro
                            '15-USPA State
                            '15-AAU HI
                            '14-AAU HI
                            '14-USPA Metro
                            '14-WABDL Sonny's
                            '14-USPA State
                            '14-HI Strongman
                            '13-USPA
                            '13-WABDL Sonny's
                            '13-USPA State
                            '13-AAU HI
                            '11-USPA Metro
                            '10-NPC Stingrey
                            '09-NPC Islands
                            '09-NPC Stingrey
                            '09-ABA Islands
                            '02-ABA Islands
                            '02-ABA IronWorks
                            '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                            '01-ABA Olympia
                            '01-ABA Islands
                            '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                            '00-INBF Musclefest
                            '98-NGA Ill
                            '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Yeah I think Dusty is an example of above average genetics but not elite genetics. I a looking for the guy who is making the absolute most of average or below average genetics and see what they are doing that has exposed that potential. So many factors to look at but if we pick apart the programs they follow, we may find something interesting. Again, I just feel like we are asking the wrong questions about all this sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                              X