Interesting by-product of Deep Tissue massage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting by-product of Deep Tissue massage

Background: I have posted on here before about having a bad back due to herniated disks. I am hyper-careful to protect my back at all costs (never doing bent rows and a variety of other "staple exercises again). I switched to a much higher rep range and really changed the way I train.

Injury flare up: Despite being ultra careful, I torqued my back in mid November picking up a towel off the ground after my morning shower. I was on the shelf for two solid weeks, in a lot of pain, unable to walk normally etc.

Deep tissue massage: I found a really good chiropractor close to where I live. He is a big dude, probably 6'3", 250. He is pretty unique in that most chiros try to adjust you and send you on your way. Not this guy. His belief is that my low back flare up are a result of tight hamstrings, quads, glutes and hip flexors. So I have been to him 4-5 times during the past month. He doesn't fiddle around trying to make it enjoyable or relaxing. He goes right into my quads...with is elbow and digs around. Then its onto the hamstrings where I can literally feel his elbow getting in between the muscles. It is PAINFUL and although I am pretty tough I have had to ask him to back off a few times. He spends about 45 minutes just on quads, glutes and hammys and the remaining 15 minutes divided between low back and traps. (The guy charges only 35 bucks for a full hour by the way). After a session I have woken up at night with cramps in my quads as if I had just squatted 10 sets earlier.

By-Product: I have been unable to train legs for over a month. The only "training" has been the deep tissue massage. The strange thing is my legs are a tad bigger, appear noticeably leaner, and more vascular. I haven't changed eating, diet, or anything else. My upper body is relatively unchanged. Only the areas where I have been having the deep tissue stuff.
    Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

From my understanding, its a massive amount of fluid build up after (including blood) that causes that. You are getting muscle torn down, causing inflammation, that needs to be repaired. However, thats not the same as giving a demand for your muscles to grow. Temporary cosmetic difference (think escicline/nolotil) but probably not permanent to size and strength.

Try a long hot epsom salt bath after the deep tissue work. I get severe cramps to the point of vomitting when i get work on my back (injury being hit by a dui driver) and have only found epsom salt baths to really relieve the cramping and just sweat it out while chugging water. I also dose taurine morning and night day of and 2 days post massage (idk if that does anything but shits dirt cheap).

Comment

Swaminator, is there a name for the technique or modality he is using, does he have a specialty training for it (such as ART, etc)? I'm looking for someone to work on me where I live. Looking for pointers.
      2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
      2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
      2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
      2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
      2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
      2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
        Swaminator, is there a name for the technique or modality he is using, does he have a specialty training for it (such as ART, etc)? I'm looking for someone to work on me where I live. Looking for pointers.
        I am not sure. I did ask him about ART, and he said he does not practice ART. I see him in a couple weeks so I will ask him the specific technique he uses.
        Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

Comment

Originally posted by Swaminator View Post
          Background: I have posted on here before about having a bad back due to herniated disks. I am hyper-careful to protect my back at all costs (never doing bent rows and a variety of other "staple exercises again). I switched to a much higher rep range and really changed the way I train.

Injury flare up: Despite being ultra careful, I torqued my back in mid November picking up a towel off the ground after my morning shower. I was on the shelf for two solid weeks, in a lot of pain, unable to walk normally etc.

Deep tissue massage: I found a really good chiropractor close to where I live. He is a big dude, probably 6'3", 250. He is pretty unique in that most chiros try to adjust you and send you on your way. Not this guy. His belief is that my low back flare up are a result of tight hamstrings, quads, glutes and hip flexors. So I have been to him 4-5 times during the past month. He doesn't fiddle around trying to make it enjoyable or relaxing. He goes right into my quads...with is elbow and digs around. Then its onto the hamstrings where I can literally feel his elbow getting in between the muscles. It is PAINFUL and although I am pretty tough I have had to ask him to back off a few times. He spends about 45 minutes just on quads, glutes and hammys and the remaining 15 minutes divided between low back and traps. (The guy charges only 35 bucks for a full hour by the way). After a session I have woken up at night with cramps in my quads as if I had just squatted 10 sets earlier.

By-Product: I have been unable to train legs for over a month. The only "training" has been the deep tissue massage. The strange thing is my legs are a tad bigger, appear noticeably leaner, and more vascular. I haven't changed eating, diet, or anything else. My upper body is relatively unchanged. Only the areas where I have been having the deep tissue stuff.
          Hi, I am new to this forum and I have the same condition you have , with the exception that I am a chick, lol anyway I got my injury from a few years of training for Woman's Figure. Trust me this will help you feel 70% better. The therapy is called " DRX 9000 machine from the chiropractor. It is called a decompression machine. You will love it. Phil Heath uses this therapy. In addition get some Turmeric supplements helps reduce herniated disk inflammation. Anything else please text me. No worries, after a few sessions on the DRX 9000 you will feel awesome. I am now back training thanks to the treatment. Brooklyn Fitness Latina

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X