Cant decide training direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant decide training direction

Whats up ya'll? I have been waffling back and forth about the direction I want to take my training to kick of 2016. Long story short; I have been lifting for several years but I got pretty fat while trying to get "huge." Thus I enlisted Skip to help whip me into shape...spoiler alert; it worked. I lost over 60 lbs going from about 230-165ish. My pants size went from a 40 to a 32 and I just feel and look a whole hell of a lot better. Oh yeah, Im only 5'4", so that 230 was not pretty.

Anyway, while I am pretty lean right now, I have never really been "ripped" at any time in my life. I would like to achieve a higher level of leanness, because the ultimate goal was, and still is to get lean so I can gain muscle mass in a reasonable manor without becoming obese like last time. the thing is, I have been dieting for so long (over a year now) progress in loosing fat has plateaued out. I have been taking this last week to "reset" or "boost" my metabolism, if you will, by adding more Kcals and will continue to do so over next week. That being said;

Should I;
    A) go all in for 6-8 more weeks, all out, and try to knock off that last 10lbs or so? I have some time off school and work so I have more time to focus on work outs and cardio sessions and what not.

B) be happy with my fat loss progress and switch focus to muscle mass accumulation?

A few before and afters for reference.

Thanks for the advise in advance! It should also be noted I am obviously thrilled with the results I got while working with Skip and it was worth every penny!
    Attached Files
    jeffro
    Lightweight Member
    Last edited by jeffro; 12-18-2015, 07:36 PM.

Wow, what a transformation!!

Skip is your number 1 guide...Im willing to bet he can help you achieve both or transition from one to the other easily. You have put so much time into leaning down....go for it. You got plenty of muscle, build on it when your done.

You did say it was your ultimate goal? Sounds like you already have a plan!
    Colokrom
    Light-heavyweight Member
    Last edited by Colokrom; 12-18-2015, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Colokrom View Post
      Wow, what a transformation!!

Skip is your number 1 guide...Im willing to bet he can help you achieve both or transition from one to the other easily. You have put so much time into leaning down....go for it. You got plenty of muscle, build on it when your done.

You did say it was your ultimate goal? Sounds like you already have a plan!
      Thanks man! I would love to keep working with skip, but alas, our consult ended a few months ago and I am a bit short on funds at the time. I am shocked at how fat I let myself get, all the while telling myself I was getting "huge"

Comment

Grow.
        Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Well you were huge...all over, lol

Comment

Originally posted by jeffro View Post
            I would like to achieve a higher level of leanness, because the ultimate goal was, and still is to get lean so I can gain muscle mass in a reasonable manor without becoming obese like last time. the thing is, I have been dieting for so long (over a year now) progress in loosing fat has plateaued out. I have been taking this last week to "reset" or "boost" my metabolism, if you will, by adding more Kcals and will continue to do so over next week.

What Adam said.

Additionally, why only two weeks for a maintenance phase?
            #docswholift
            PGY-1 FM
            "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I would actually use about 2 weeks to "reset" like you are doing, and from there I would continue dieting down. Get shredded and then use everything you learned with Skip to stay lean and start adding calories in very gradually for growth.

Figure out how to stay lean, and get bigger over time. Once you feel too "soft", take a little bit back off.. slowly.

You're closer than you think on getting "shredded" - so get there!! Keep after it man, very awesome transformation.
              Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
              FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
              www.316fit.com
              Email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by nexa View Post
                What Adam said.

Additionally, why only two weeks for a maintenance phase?
                Thought process was since I have been restricted on my Kcals for an extended period of time and fat loss has slowed/stopped I was going to increase Kcals for a few weeks to re-boot my metabolism before restricting myself again. Not sure if that is what s meant by a maintenance phase, but that was the reason for that.

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
                  I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I would actually use about 2 weeks to "reset" like you are doing, and from there I would continue dieting down. Get shredded and then use everything you learned with Skip to stay lean and start adding calories in very gradually for growth.

Figure out how to stay lean, and get bigger over time. Once you feel too "soft", take a little bit back off.. slowly.

You're closer than you think on getting "shredded" - so get there!! Keep after it man, very awesome transformation.
                  Thanks for the input, its almost like you read my mind!

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post

Man, he said that way better than me. I agree, dont shock the system with calories. You have built a machine there, dont toss a wrench in the gears. Fine tune it to do what you want.

Comment

I second fade

Hell of a job with the transformation
                      I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
                      I too like to live dangerously

Comment

I am also with Fade on this one. Get done in BF some more and get yourself more insulin sensitive. It will enhance your potential for muscle growth more in the future if you start adding size while starting leaner.

For the record, I always thought you were the guy in the avatar.

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
                        *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
                        •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
                        *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Collabera View Post
                          I am also with Fade on this one. Get done in BF some more and get yourself more insulin sensitive. It will enhance your potential for muscle growth more in the future if you start adding size while starting leaner.

For the record, I always thought you were the guy in the avatar.
                          Haha! Perhaps some day!

Comment

Good work bruthr! I agree with fade as well. Keep up the hard work!

Comment

A couple days late but ill echo. Get leaner! Not only will it be that much easier to eyeball your progress and ensure you arent adding tons of bf, but nutrient absorbtion will be so much better and insulin sensitivity also.

Comment

Working...
                              X