Arm training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arm training

So I finally started watching Skip's Longevity dvd and I was very intrigued with his advice on arm training. The overall point was he believes arms get enough work on chest/back day, as long as your training heavy enough. I must say this is the first time I've ever heard someone on his level come out and say this, and I totally agree.

Over the last 2 years I have trained arms on their own day twice, mostly due to a pain I started having near the inner elbow. I went to the doc for the issue and while nothing major was found, he did tell me the horrors of people who have torn the bicep. Having known a handful of guys who went through this I totally revamped my approach to arms.

I started doing either chest/tri's or shoulders/tri's, and back/bi's. Did that consistently for about a year and the pain I was having went away for the most part. Nowadays I'm still sticking to that for the most part, however I only hit them hard every other week. The weeks between I'll just pick a fluff exercise to get some blood flowing in there, usually a cable or something else with light weight.

So I guess I was wondering if anyone else here has a similar approach, I mean we all know the guy who trains arms 3 days a week and looks like shit.
    Back in the Game

2006 OCB Richmond 4th
    2006 OCB Pittsburgh 1st
    2007 OCB Richmond 6th
    2007 OCB Pittsburgh 4th

2015 Spartan Sprint OH 82nd out of 2500 Aroo!

Originally posted by NaturaLPumP View Post
    The overall point was he believes arms get enough work on chest/back day, as long as your training heavy enough.
    What about the volume?
    #docswholift
    PGY-1 FM
    "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

I have found this to be true as well, especially with biceps. Up until 3 or so years ago, I did almost NO direct arm work. I was more of a pure strength training/powerlifting focused lifter. However, from doing various heavy weighted/non weighted chins/pullups and rows by biceps were always decent for my size

Comment

My arms shrink without regular direct arm training. Tacking on a few sets of pushdowns doesn't cut it. ...volume and intensity seem to be a requirement. Weight is secondary. ...
        '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
        17 AAU Super Total
        '16-AAU Hi
        '15-USPA Metro
        '15-USPA State
        '15-AAU HI
        '14-AAU HI
        '14-USPA Metro
        '14-WABDL Sonny's
        '14-USPA State
        '14-HI Strongman
        '13-USPA
        '13-WABDL Sonny's
        '13-USPA State
        '13-AAU HI
        '11-USPA Metro
        '10-NPC Stingrey
        '09-NPC Islands
        '09-NPC Stingrey
        '09-ABA Islands
        '02-ABA Islands
        '02-ABA IronWorks
        '01-NPC Paradise Cup
        '01-ABA Olympia
        '01-ABA Islands
        '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
        '00-INBF Musclefest
        '98-NGA Ill
        '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

@Nexa - Today I did 3 pressing movements for chest ( one was a machine ) and I finished off with 5 sets of cable pushdowns. Next week it'll be 2 pressing movements, maybe pec dec then 2 tri exercises.

I'm sure genetics and other factors come into play with this topic, I was just curious on others approach/opinion.
          Back in the Game

2006 OCB Richmond 4th
          2006 OCB Pittsburgh 1st
          2007 OCB Richmond 6th
          2007 OCB Pittsburgh 4th

Comment

Hopefully DC brings my arms up a bit... doing the treditional 5way leg/chest/back/shoulder/arms hasnt done shit for my arms.

Comment

I am with Trucelt. My biceps and quads are noticeably smaller since I switched from BB to PLing. I am sure that genetics (slow twitch/fast twitch makeup) are in play as well for me, but if I had the time, I would try to get in 3 times a week for arms. My arms NEVER get sore, but the rest of my body is ALWAYS crippling sore. I have seen better results in arms with increased volume and frequency. I have also seen (as many others probably here as well have seen) the "gym rat guy" who only lifts chest and arms who actually has pretty big guns from hitting them about every other day (the other days are for chest of course!). My two cents... I think this is VERY individual.
              "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

Comment

I used Skips Training Protocol with great success. My arms grew hitting them every other week.

But as with everything, change has to come forth every now and then I believe.

I have played around with direct arm training and adding tries to chest/shoulder day and back/bi day following mountain dog training. All produced great results.

I agree with Trucelt, intensity and volume are first followed by weight. My arms have been growing just fine following this. To be honest my strength has not increased on a lot of bicep exercises in a long time. For example, I can't get past doing alternating seated supinated DB curl with 30-35 lbs, but they still grow.

Comment

I think it goes in spurts. Most people have either overtrained arms or overreached them and never allowed them to properly recover. So for those people specifically, I think taking time away from direct arm training gives great growth.

In general, I think that's a great idea to do every now and then to back off after hitting them.

On the other hand, I notice a big difference from direct arm work and specifically working less on stretch with bi's/tri's and working more towards maximum pump and sustaining the pump through the workout.

Sum it up:
                  Take some time off to allow for full recovery, come back and blast the shit out of them with volume and pump.

That's what I like at least.
                  Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
                  FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
                  www.316fit.com
                  Email: [email protected]

Comment

Thats a pretty solid approach Fade, I definitely agree a lot of guys burn out the arms trying to do too much. But I like the idea of hitting them hard in cycles like that.

Hercules/Truclet I agree with intensity/volume over weight, the most I can usually do is the 40's for standing curls. But that's slow, strict form for 10-12 reps. Of course you always have the smack off beside you with 12" arms swinging the 70's up :insane:
                    Back in the Game

2006 OCB Richmond 4th
                    2006 OCB Pittsburgh 1st
                    2007 OCB Richmond 6th
                    2007 OCB Pittsburgh 4th

Comment

Working...
                    X