glutamine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glutamine?

For years glutamine was considered "a supplement staple", I took it religiously during the 90's and early 2000's. I felt it was more important during prep than offseason and thr biggest effect I saw when I reviewd my journals was I tended to not get sick during prep when I used glutamine. I haven't used it in a few years and I know skip is not a fan. ....

What is the current consensus from athletes and coaches?
    '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
    17 AAU Super Total
    '16-AAU Hi
    '15-USPA Metro
    '15-USPA State
    '15-AAU HI
    '14-AAU HI
    '14-USPA Metro
    '14-WABDL Sonny's
    '14-USPA State
    '14-HI Strongman
    '13-USPA
    '13-WABDL Sonny's
    '13-USPA State
    '13-AAU HI
    '11-USPA Metro
    '10-NPC Stingrey
    '09-NPC Islands
    '09-NPC Stingrey
    '09-ABA Islands
    '02-ABA Islands
    '02-ABA IronWorks
    '01-NPC Paradise Cup
    '01-ABA Olympia
    '01-ABA Islands
    '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
    '00-INBF Musclefest
    '98-NGA Ill
    '98-INBF Ohio

im a big fan. That, creatine, good Multi V and BCAAs are on the daily use list. I got away from it for a while for no reason. Im glad I put it back in the go to. I cant tell you anything about not getting sick as I rarely am, but its still a go to for me. Also, Pretty solid write up "Glutamine Creatine's Sexy sister. (still cant post links. Im new here)

Comment

I've tried it numerous times and I think the only time it probably plays a big role is when people are ketogenic or close to it. Glutamine can be converted and stored as glycogen likely with a much smaller insulin spike than a carbohydrate would give. So you could potentially replenish glycogen levels on a ketogenic diet and not get kicked out of ketosis if you were using it especially around your workout in high doses.

For others, I think it really only plays a role in gut health (great) and immune system (also great). For muscle recovery specifically, I've never noticed one bit of difference using it.
      Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
      FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
      www.316fit.com
      Email: [email protected]

Comment

Fade

Funny you mention keto-type diets as most of my preps where I "relied" on glutamine I was following a low carb approach....
        '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
        17 AAU Super Total
        '16-AAU Hi
        '15-USPA Metro
        '15-USPA State
        '15-AAU HI
        '14-AAU HI
        '14-USPA Metro
        '14-WABDL Sonny's
        '14-USPA State
        '14-HI Strongman
        '13-USPA
        '13-WABDL Sonny's
        '13-USPA State
        '13-AAU HI
        '11-USPA Metro
        '10-NPC Stingrey
        '09-NPC Islands
        '09-NPC Stingrey
        '09-ABA Islands
        '02-ABA Islands
        '02-ABA IronWorks
        '01-NPC Paradise Cup
        '01-ABA Olympia
        '01-ABA Islands
        '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
        '00-INBF Musclefest
        '98-NGA Ill
        '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Does glutamine facilitate easier nutrient delivery to the muscle after training?

Comment

A supplement that likely was promoted the wrong way because way would anyone care about digestive health or immune support? I take it daily.
            International Elite Raw Powerlifter
            Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

I feel its more gut health/immune support, not directly muscular enhancing. I think the thought that it helped recovery was simply because once it was being supplemented, gut health increased, thus foods were being better digested and utilized. So while it may not directly assist in recovery, it can indirectly by keeping your healthy. 30g-50g a day is what ive heard through multiple podcasts. I do 10g pre, intra, and post. Should probably spread it further, but i DO see a difference in how i feel if i dont take it (seem to get sick a lot more).

Comment

I take it with my shake when I wake up, then pre and post. I bought the powder and that shit gets everywhere. Prob been taking it for a solid year now. Honestly, I just felt better so I continued with it. 10g wake, 15g pre, 15g post.

Comment

Working...
                X