• Dc Floor press question

Ok it has been recommended to me by some dudes who know there shit
    That I look into some floor presses

I use A LOT of machines in my training
    Bc I train when I can and don't always have a buddy or a spot

I know that the dumbbell floor press could be done with three benches lol
    But that will be out for me most of time since my gym is busy

And without a consistent spotter barbell ones could be somewhat risky

Anyone even do them in the smythe machine?
    I would think it would be a good movement
    Could be wrong though?
    I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
    I too like to live dangerously

When doing DB floor presses I need someone to help me get the Dumbbells in a starting position. This is done by setting the 2 Dumbbells on their ends (vertical) and setting them to your sides lying flat on the floor. A spotter will help you "curl" one dumbbell at a time to your starting position with triceps resting on the floor. I've found that anyone in the gym can help with this.

If your smith machine will allow your arms to go all the way down and rest on the floor than do it. Mine does not and I haven't seen many that do. I have seen people set up in a smith machine for a regular press on a bench and use the moveable safety pins in a low enough position to imitate resting your arms on the floor. I've tried this and I've found it to be a bit odd and not like a real floor press. My numbers were also very inconsistent from week to week.

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
    *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
    •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
    *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

My PLing coach had me lay in the squat rack and set safety bars up. Worked ok other than feeling like a fuck by taking up a rack for it
      "This is your life. It is the only one you get. So no excuses, and no do-overs. If you make a mistake or fail at something you learn from it, you get over it and you move on. Your job is to be the very best person you can be and to never settle for anything less."
      ~ Ann Richards, former TX governor

Comment

@col
        Yea I have seen VERY few that go that Low but this one does

@jen
        Yea the rack at my gym is basically always busy lol
        It's polar opposite of most gyms

Leg press damn near always empty
        Squat rack almost always busy

Lots of cross fitters where I'm at so I can usually get to hammer machines and such pretty easily (odd that 90% of my gym uses free wts)

Comment

Id be interested to see how the smith floor press goes. I'm sure it'll be pretty good. I've always liked the DB version better and LearningDC thinks it's far better than the barbell. It allows you to bring the elbows out wide and move both horizontally and vertically versus just vertically. I would think there would be much higher potential for building a bigger chest.

*2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
          *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

I'll def post detail about what I feel about the smythe floor press In the journal guys :-)

Comment

Looking forward to it.

I am wondering if it's possible to do a floor press but on when bench, positions like doing dumbbell pullovers. Starting with the dbs on your knees and then slowly sliding back and getting your upper back on the bench and DBs into position on your own. This might be very difficult in a rest pause set though.

Comment

That is actually a damn good thought
                I imagine it could get kinda difficult
                But it makes u wonder

Comment

I train chest tomorrow and I'm on a break from DC because of the elbow so I'll give it a shot.

Comment

Badass I'll check the journal

Comment

I love dumbbell floor presses, I modify them with a neutral grip and keep my elbows as close and I can while allowing them to touch the floor. My goal with them is for tricep development. I do them after chest and shoulders (DC style) so my triceps are already pretty smoked. I have found that maintaining a slow controlled concentric really helps hammer my tris. I also do a short pause at the bottom with a controlled positive. Slow and steady, the first 5 reps I feel like I could do 20 reps, but around 9-10 My arms are shaking like crazy

Comment

Originally posted by DC_catholic315 View Post
                        Badass I'll check the journal

Tried it. Not a good idea. Was a challenge even with 30s in my hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Keyser_Soze11 View Post
                          I love dumbbell floor presses, I modify them with a neutral grip and keep my elbows as close and I can while allowing them to touch the floor. My goal with them is for tricep development. I do them after chest and shoulders (DC style) so my triceps are already pretty smoked. I have found that maintaining a slow controlled concentric really helps hammer my tris. I also do a short pause at the bottom with a controlled positive. Slow and steady, the first 5 reps I feel like I could do 20 reps, but around 9-10 My arms are shaking like crazy
                          I've done an elbows tucked for triceps version myself. Works very well.

Comment

get some powerhooks on amazon for dumbbells. hang them on the barbell in a squat rack or smith press. great tool for rest pausing any dumbbell pressing. I use them twice a week and love them!

Comment

Originally posted by rico11764 View Post
                              get some powerhooks on amazon for dumbbells. hang them on the barbell in a squat rack or smith press. great tool for rest pausing any dumbbell pressing. I use them twice a week and love them!
                              I completely forgot about those. Good call. My only fear with be dropping the Dumbbells after hitting failure and bending the hooks.

Comment

Working...
                              X