Matt Porter retiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Porter retiring

"This is the hardest and most serious post I have ever made. My whole life will be changing going forward. Not many people know what I have been going through the last 3 months, but just a select few. I have been back in Oregon the last 6 weeks helping my Mom take care of my Dad as his cancer progressed. I really had no clue it was to the point that he was into his final weeks when I arrived, but prayed for and hoped for a few more years. I had to leave my Wife for the first 4 weeks at home and witness a lot of emotional and mental pain from my Mother doing an unfathomable job taking care of him 24/7. She wasn't sleeping and stayed by his side at all times, while I was here supporting her and keeping things as stable as I could. I wish he wasn't in chronic pain , albeit morphine, methadone, etc.. but the every 2 hour spasms were too much to control.

Hospice came into the home 3 weeks ago, then we had to admit him into the hospital as we couldn't manage the pain or have him swallow medicines etc...After that admission, and the high dose IV's etc... I knew it was any moment he would leave us. I lost my Dad November 6th, 12 days ago and the funeral was last Friday. My amazing Wife Rachel Prince flew up 2 weeks ago, and literally glued my entire family together handling the funeral from top to bottom, giving my Mom assurance that everything will be ok regarding setting everything up as stress-free as possible. She really is an amazing person and I am blessed to have such a caring women supporting my family. I will be moving my Mom and my niece down to where we live now and essentially support them while my Mom awaits some income in a few years. During these unimaginable hard times regarding my Father passing from cancer and realizing how real this was, and how important my Wife and family are etc... I have decided to take a step back from competing,,or pursuing the extremes of Bodybuilding and chasing a Pro Card etc... I won't be using anabolics, growth hormone related products or anything that could initiate negative health at this point. I will be shrinking,, I will be deflating, and I will be dealing with all of that for the next chapter. I know God will ease my mind and i'll be ok with myself and not be dwelling over this immense change. I plan on focusing on my athletes, my supplement business , and being more involved than ever with learning and teaching, and helping as many people as I can.

I may not be walking around in a tank top at expos anymore, with big round shoulders and arms etc... but I will be here continuing to improve peoples physiques, and positively influence people to the best of my ability."

Perhaps a quick reaction to tragedy or perhaps a revelation regarding mortality. Either way I have never heard anyone say a bad word about him and from what I could tell he was/is always a stand up guy. Wish him and his family the best moving forward.
    Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Matt is a cool guy. He always has a positive message and is willing to help people who need some advice. I've seen him do that on many occasion on another board I visit from time to time.

Very sad about his Dad.
    Joe

Contest History:
    2017 Muscle Heat - 2nd Place Masters 40+ HWT & 3rd Place LHW
    2017 Gold's Classic - 3rd Place Masters 40+ HWT & 4th Place LHW
    2016 GK Classic - 1st Place MW & 4th Place Masters 40+
    2016 Charlotte Europa - 3rd Place MW & 1st Place Masters 35+
    2015 Mid-Atlantic Classic - 4th Place LHW & 4th Place Masters 40+ HWY
    2014 Muscle Heat Classic - 4th Place LHW & 4th Place Masters 35+ HWY

Comment

thanks for sharing
      '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
      17 AAU Super Total
      '16-AAU Hi
      '15-USPA Metro
      '15-USPA State
      '15-AAU HI
      '14-AAU HI
      '14-USPA Metro
      '14-WABDL Sonny's
      '14-USPA State
      '14-HI Strongman
      '13-USPA
      '13-WABDL Sonny's
      '13-USPA State
      '13-AAU HI
      '11-USPA Metro
      '10-NPC Stingrey
      '09-NPC Islands
      '09-NPC Stingrey
      '09-ABA Islands
      '02-ABA Islands
      '02-ABA IronWorks
      '01-NPC Paradise Cup
      '01-ABA Olympia
      '01-ABA Islands
      '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
      '00-INBF Musclefest
      '98-NGA Ill
      '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

I can definitely imagine this is a hard thing to deal with, and it can really change your perspective on things.

On the other hand, I think that shift in perspective is hard to maintain for long periods of time.
        Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
        FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
        www.316fit.com
        Email: [email protected]

Comment

Everyone handles things differently I guess. I don't know what i would do if my dad passed like that but I think I would just have a renewed angst that I would take out on the weights. I know he would be upset with me if he knew I was taking things more extreme and I'm not sure if that would mess with me or not with that aspect.
          2014 KC All Star Championships 5th novice mw
          2015 KC All Star Championships 3rd open mw, 3rd masters 40+
          2016 Branch Warren 1st masters 40+, 3rd open mw

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post

On the other hand, I think that shift in perspective is hard to maintain for long periods of time.
            This ^ .

I am certain that this was an eye-opener for him, no doubt. But his decision LIKELY was an emotional one based on what was going on at that (this) time. I would not be surprised to hear that he is coming back in 6 months or a year. Young kids use the word "retire" sometimes to mean "I am just done right now". I don't know Matt so I don't know what he will do but I do respect that he, at least for now, made a very good decision and put his family first.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
            Instagram: @intensemuscle
            YouTube: TEAMSKIP
            TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

I think like many things its not the event its thr intensity and circumstances, had his father passed away suddenly (like a attack in his sleep) he may not have come to this decision. ....

Watching his father suffer and wither the way he did may was probably life altering and theres a good chance it resulted in a total paradigm shift...
              '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
              17 AAU Super Total
              '16-AAU Hi
              '15-USPA Metro
              '15-USPA State
              '15-AAU HI
              '14-AAU HI
              '14-USPA Metro
              '14-WABDL Sonny's
              '14-USPA State
              '14-HI Strongman
              '13-USPA
              '13-WABDL Sonny's
              '13-USPA State
              '13-AAU HI
              '11-USPA Metro
              '10-NPC Stingrey
              '09-NPC Islands
              '09-NPC Stingrey
              '09-ABA Islands
              '02-ABA Islands
              '02-ABA IronWorks
              '01-NPC Paradise Cup
              '01-ABA Olympia
              '01-ABA Islands
              '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
              '00-INBF Musclefest
              '98-NGA Ill
              '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
                I can definitely imagine this is a hard thing to deal with, and it can really change your perspective on things.

It's especially hard to maintain when a person is still surrounded by the "lifestyle" and mentality. Harder moreso when guiding others through those waters, particularly if he still has clients wanting to push the envelope. It'll take a lot of discipline and strength to stay the new course, which he has in spades.

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
                Watching his father suffer and wither the way he did may was probably life altering and theres a good chance it resulted in a total paradigm shift...
                This. Time will tell, but some things leave permanent marks.
                2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
                2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
                2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
                2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
                2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
                2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Working...
                X