Electrolytes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrolytes

I am trying to find good information on electrolyte balance. Looking for things like ratios of each electrolyte and formulations that might be more absorbable and if those higher absorbing forms of electrolyte supplements might require less dosing.

Currently I'm having a hell of a time finding how much potassium citrate is safe to take at a time and daily. Everything I find is information for it as a prescription and says whatever your doctor recommends.

I've mentioned many times here on IM on take 600mg of magnesium citrate for improved sleep quality.

I'm bringing this subject up because I've been dealing with a lot of muscle cramping lately that I'm having a hard time figuring out. So I'm looking into electrolytes and there's a lot of terrible mixed information out there.

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
    *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
    •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
    *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Muscle cramping? How's your sodium intake?
    SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Pretty high. Can't be less than 5g a day. Played with water intake a bit to see if it had an effect. Went from 8 liters a day to 6 and that didn't help me retain anymore.

Also thought maybe it was simple overuse cramping like brachialis and quad stuff but I feel it in other places too. And volume is less than it was.

Came off a prep phase and put on roughly 15lbs in a month. Still pretty lean and just fuller. Not too watery except after refeeds.

I don't sweat excessively.

*2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
      *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

This is a good question
        Be interesting to see the replies of what people do
        Especially if there is any intra workout goodies :-)
        I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
        I too like to live dangerously

Comment

Originally posted by Collabera View Post
          I am trying to find good information on electrolyte balance. Looking for things like ratios of each electrolyte and formulations that might be more absorbable and if those higher absorbing forms of electrolyte supplements might require less dosing.

Currently I'm having a hell of a time finding how much potassium citrate is safe to take at a time and daily. Everything I find is information for it as a prescription and says whatever your doctor recommends.

I've mentioned many times here on IM on take 600mg of magnesium citrate for improved sleep quality.

I'm bringing this subject up because I've been dealing with a lot of muscle cramping lately that I'm having a hard time figuring out. So I'm looking into electrolytes and there's a lot of terrible mixed information out there.
          You may want to consider adding about 1200mg of calcium to your magnesium. Calcium is not jut for bone health, but also aids in good muscle health and relaxation of the muscle. Stay away fro the calcium carbonate types as they are difficult for the body to absorb.
          Try this for 30-60 days and see if it helps :-)
          Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Comment

Besides using over 1/4tsp of salt in my intra. I also take the country of life calcium magnesium potassium pills.

Comment

Originally posted by Heckman View Post
              You may want to consider adding about 1200mg of calcium to your magnesium. Calcium is not jut for bone health, but also aids in good muscle health and relaxation of the muscle. Stay away fro the calcium carbonate types as they are difficult for the body to absorb.
              Try this for 30-60 days and see if it helps :-)
              I just bought calcium hydroxyapatite that also has potassium, zinc, magnesium, phosphorus, and chromium all in the hydroxyapatite form. The guy at the store claimed it has more bioavailability than citrate. We shall see.

Would you take this at the same time as the magnesium I take before bed? Or a different time?

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
                Besides using over 1/4tsp of salt in my intra. I also take the country of life calcium magnesium potassium pills.
                How do those work for you?

Does anyone know of a resource where I can learn about all of these things as it pertains to athletes it bodybuilders?

I was doing some cable face pulls today as a widowmaker and my chest cramped up hard on the first pull. This is getting god damn frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by DC_catholic315 View Post
                  Especially if there is any intra workout goodies :-)

Gatorade makes for a tasty intraworkout carb source.
                  #docswholift
                  PGY-1 FM
                  "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Originally posted by nexa View Post
                    Gatorade makes for a tasty intraworkout carb source.
                    Strawberry watermelon for the win.
                    2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Originally posted by Collabera View Post
                      How do those work for you?

Does anyone know of a resource where I can learn about all of these things as it pertains to athletes it bodybuilders?

I was doing some cable face pulls today as a widowmaker and my chest cramped up hard on the first pull. This is getting god damn frustrating.

I have been taking this combo for a while and rarely get any cramps. It's too cheap not to do

As far as research. I believe Charles poliquin has covered this some if you google him as well as perhaps on tnation.

Comment

I will look into what he has to say. I've been looking all over for a solid all around info and all I find is really generic stuff written for the average individual and not something who can comprehend the more complicated in depth stuff.

Comment

For an interesting new look at cramping, look into itsthenerve. A Harvard neuroscientist and Nobel Prize winner has done a ton of research on it and found that cramping is caused by nerve excitability not electrolyte imbalances. A new product is supposed to hit the market next year that may be a game changer. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
                          "The sun shines even on a dog's ass sometimes."- My Dad

Comment

Hmmm I looked at the website. Seems interesting but not a ton of info. At least that I could see. I could see how it would be a nerve issue and not electrolytes directly.

Comment

Collabera my coach wrote these
                              hope they help

Reserved for sodium/potassium "brain dump"

USDA Guidelines - http://www.health.gov/dietaryguideli...elines2010.pdf
                              Based upon 2000kCal diet
                              Sodium - 2300mg/day
                              Potassium - 4700mg/day

By not keeping your sodium/potassium levels in balance, you increase the risk of the following (but not limited to):

Hypertension
                              Heart disease and stroke
                              Memory decline
                              Osteoporosis
                              Ulcers and stomach cancer
                              Kidney stones
                              Cataracts
                              Erectile dysfunction
                              Rheumatoid arthritis

Furthermore, by not getting enough potassium (the most common scenario in Western diets), you risk:

Water retention
                              Raised blood pressure and hypertension
                              Heart irregularities/arrhythmias
                              Muscular weakness and muscle cramps
                              Continual thirst
                              Constipation

Sebastian (et al) - The evolution-informed optimal dietary potassium intake of human beings greatly exceeds current and recommended intakes (2006) - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17275582
                              Humans seem to have consumed vast quantities of potassium (four times current RDAs) during our evolutionary period. Research repeatedly confirms daily intake of foods containing potassium that provide a total daily intake of 4,000 mg or more protect from hypertension, heart disease, kidney disease, metabolic syndrome, and stroke. Persons who consume 4,000 mg. of potassium or more per day have a much lower incidence of all degenerative diseases including insulin resistance syndrome, hypertension, stroke, obesity and adult onset diabetes.

Early man's consumption of sodium and potassium worked out to about 11,000mg daily of potassium and only 690mg of sodium. A ratio of about 16:1. Other sources say the potassium was around 6,000mg with 600mg sodium. Salt was not apparently a big factor in early man's diet.

Taylor RS (et al) - Reduced dietary salt for the prevention of cardiovascular disease: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials (Cochrane review) - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21731062

Recent meta-analysis by the Cochrane Review involving a total of 6,250 subjects found no strong evidence that cutting salt intake reduces the risk for heart attacks, strokes or death.

Yang (et al) - Sodium and Potassium Intake and Mortality Among US Adults: Prospective Data From the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (2011) - http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/arti...icleid=1106080

In one of the first federal studies to evaluate the relationship of salt, potassium, and heart related diseases - Yang found those at greatest risk of cardiovascular disease were those who got too much sodium along with too little potassium. The research found people who eat a lot of salt and very little potassium were more than twice as likely to die from a heart attack as those who ate about equal amounts of both nutrients. Such a dietary imbalance posed a greater risk than simply eating too much salt, according to the study.

Stolarz-Skrzpek (et al) - Fatal and Nonfatal Outcomes, Incidence of Hypertension, and Blood Pressure Changes in Relation to Urinary Sodium Excretion - http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article....ticleid=899663

And the irony here is that, contrary to popular belief, another study published in 2011 found that lower salt consumption actually increased your risk of death from heart disease...

CR's Personal Daily Goals
                              Sodium: 5000mg/day
                              Potassium: 8000mg/day

www.health.gov

health.gov

Comment

Working...
                              X