Casein vs. Whey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casein vs. Whey

I admittedly did not know much about casein protein before this article here:

https://www.t-nation.com/supplements...gn=article4015

I always wondered why the TEAM SKIP protein had so much casein in it and this explains why. At least as far as I can tell. I always figured a whey isolate was far superior for muscle building over casein and that casein before bed wasn't that important or Skip would have had me doing it.

Has anyone here been a long time whey isolate post workout user, switched to a blend with more casein post workout? Did you notice the significant difference the article above claims? I've always used a whey isolate and I want to know if the extra cash for more casein post workout is worth it. Especially the hydrolysate casein over the basic or micellar.

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
    *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
    •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
    *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

No difference for me between wpi and blend of wpi casein etc. however. I prefer pepto/hydro pwo as well as pre wo when training first thing in the morning
    SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

In addition to what Collabera is asking, do any people who use casein regularly notice it helps curb hunger better and if there is any stomach discomfort?

Not trying to derail your thread, Collabera. I was just coincidentally thinking about casein over the last few weeks and was wondering about those 2 items in addition to it being a better muscle builder like you're inquiring.

Comment

I stick to whey and a high GI carb for intra/post wo shake and the slower digesting casein for my before bed meal.
        #docswholift
        PGY-1 FM
        "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Immunocompromised people should be should be drinking whey concentrate, eh
          #docswholift
          PGY-1 FM

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
            No difference for me between wpi and blend of wpi casein etc. however. I prefer pepto/hydro pwo as well as pre wo when training first thing in the morning
            Any reason for the preference of the pepto/hydro?

Originally posted by FRANK_KOVACIC View Post
            In addition to what Collabera is asking, do any people who use casein regularly notice it helps curb hunger better and if there is any stomach discomfort?

Not trying to derail your thread, Collabera. I was just coincidentally thinking about casein over the last few weeks and was wondering about those 2 items in addition to it being a better muscle builder like you're inquiring.
            Go for it. Looking for any and all info about casein from others personal experience. It's not like I've never used it before. I've just never given it much of a thought and when I used it in the past it was just before bed. Which I felt didn't do anything significant at the time. But my diet as a whole was not great then.

Originally posted by nexa View Post
            I stick to whey and a high GI carb for intra/post wo shake and the slower digesting casein for my before bed meal.
            Notice much from the casein before bed? And long have you consistently done that?

*2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
            *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

Originally posted by nexa View Post
              Immunocompromised people should be should be drinking whey concentrate, eh
              Yes that was an interesting part of the article I plan to do a little more research on. I have two clients that could use a whey concentrate if it has a significant effect.

Comment

For the last 6-7 weeks consistently. I've used it sporadically if I was in the OR or on a long shift, without food for over 5 hours, and needed to quickly shovel in cals.

I'm not super hangry in the AM, which is when I typically train. That's about it.

My eye started to twitch when I saw that.
                #docswholift
                PGY-1 FM

Comment

I may have to consider it before bed because I train first thing in the morning after my first meal. And I don't have much time to let the food digest between eating and training. I wonder if Skip will mind me using 2 scoops of casein with some cheese or almonds as my last meal of the night before bed.

Comment

Originally posted by FRANK_KOVACIC View Post

Casein does help curb hunger and provides a more satiating feeling when compared to wpi. You can see this when you mix casein in a liquid. It takes on a thinker almost jelly like consistency.

Comment

Originally posted by Collabera View Post
                      Any reason for the preference of the pepto/hydro?

Go for it. Looking for any and all info about casein from others personal experience. It's not like I've never used it before. I've just never given it much of a thought and when I used it in the past it was just before bed. Which I felt didn't do anything significant at the time. But my diet as a whole was not great then.

Notice much from the casein before bed? And long have you consistently done that?

Hydro/pepto for the ultra quick digestibility and assimilation.

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
                        Hydro/pepto for the ultra quick digestibility and assimilation.
                        It's pricey as all hell but I'll look into it.

I am trying to figure out an ideal percentage of whey to casein to make for my own blend at True Nutrition. I am good with spending as much as I have to and I'll likely use that blend for days I train my weakest muscles.

Anyone else have experience it knowledge on the subject?

Comment

I don't think you'll notice a single bit of difference. Casein is great if you're wanting something slower digesting and to fill you up when dieting.

In theory the team skip blends or whey/casein kind of blends are the best way to go but in general I don't think there's much of a difference from one to the other.
                          Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
                          FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
                          www.316fit.com
                          Email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Collabera View Post
                            It's pricey as all hell but I'll look into it.

I am trying to figure out an ideal percentage of whey to casein to make for my own blend at True Nutrition. I am good with spending as much as I have to and I'll likely use that blend for days I train my weakest muscles.

Anyone else have experience it knowledge on the subject?

I would go 60/40 wpi to casein. Actually try 1lb of each 40/60, 50/50 and 60/40

Mpi milk protein isolate is 80/20 wpi to casein if I am not mistaking.

Comment

I've noticed a major difference since going to whey/casein mix
                              I'm the fact that I don't want to chew my arm off 30 minutes later
                              def keeps me fuller longer

Which is a good thing

I've used pepto
                              And pepto and hydro
                              And hydo whey
                              Whey isolate
                              Whey that gave me the shits
                              Casein alone
                              I never liked the taste of the cost of the hydros
                              I do SWEAR by aminos though
                              I can tell whey they are or are not in my infra (no carbs jus eaas)

As far as a meal replacement whey ISO at 50 g is gone to quick
                              I didn't like plain caseins texture and it seemed to be heavier in my gut than I'd prefer a shake too

BUT I will say at 50 50 it does well for me during the day with peanut butter for hunger curbing

I prefer 2 scoops of 50/50 casein whey isolate mix
                              And 8 oz of egg whites with fruity pebbles post workout

I jus think a lot of the shit is great on paper but doesn't really make to much of a difference in real life

I do think whe ISO/ does make a difference if nothing else in knowing that I got a quick surge of Protien and a slow dose of Protien to keep me from wanting eat to soon
                              If I was looking for 75 g of Protien
                              I'll combine it with pasteurized egg whites from the grocery

I mean even John meadows uses eaas instead of hydrolysates with his new product
                              And looked huge as shit with his pro card this year
                              I also BELIEVE John meadows uses his products
                              Jus like skip

I don't think I'll be spending the $$$$ for hydro whey or pepto pro personally ever

And I don't think I'll ever use a non 50/50 blend of casien and whey iso ever again
                              Last edited by DC_catholic315; 10-17-2015, 06:11 PM.
                              I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
                              I too like to live dangerously

Comment

Working...
                              X