Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Squats and Wrist Pain

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Squats and Wrist Pain

    I low bar squat and it absolutely destroys my wrists. It is usually fine until I get to about 330. The higher the weight, the greater the pain. I have tried thumbless, overhand, hands all the way out against the racks, I tried bringing my hands in more (which turns my shoulders into burger). Nothing seems to help.

    I do wear wrist wraps while squatting to help alleviate it a bit but not much. I usually just power through but today I had to end my squat session a bit early because my wrists were hurting on my back off sets.

    Sure, I could go high bar and have less weight resting on my wrists, but I squat low bar because I want to compete in a powerlifting meet eventually (if I can find one that isn't scheduled around an exam) and I just plain enjoy it more.

    Any suggestions on how to help alleviate this?
    The average silverback gorilla in the wild is between 5'7 and 5'11, and weighs between 298 and 397 pounds (according to wikipedia). Why not shoot for that?

    -LoRez from T Nation

  • #2
    Have you considered one of those bars that has handles? They are to help prevent shoulder injuries.

    Check this out, someone put some straps on the bar.
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/fr...ts-made-easier
    Last edited by doug1; 10-15-2015, 08:46 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Define "eventually."

      If you're a few months out from a meet you could go high bar for a cycle.
      #docswholift
      PGY-1 FM
      "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

      Comment


      • #4
        there is a charity one coming up and it's the week after a scheduled deload (i do 5/3/1) so i might do that. I want to do a sanctioned meet around spring break.
        The average silverback gorilla in the wild is between 5'7 and 5'11, and weighs between 298 and 397 pounds (according to wikipedia). Why not shoot for that?

        -LoRez from T Nation

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by doug1 View Post
          Have you considered one of those bars that has handles? They are to help prevent shoulder injuries.

          Check this out, someone put some straps on the bar.
          https://www.t-nation.com/training/fr...ts-made-easier
          I would buy a buffalo, cambered, or safety squat bar if I lifted at home. I know that Brian Schwabb (spelling?) released an OBB handle or something like that, you can attach it to any bar and turn it into a safety squat bar but it is still too much for my broke ass college kid budget.
          The average silverback gorilla in the wild is between 5'7 and 5'11, and weighs between 298 and 397 pounds (according to wikipedia). Why not shoot for that?

          -LoRez from T Nation

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by sampsellta View Post
            I would buy a buffalo, cambered, or safety squat bar if I lifted at home. I know that Brian Schwabb (spelling?) released an OBB handle or something like that, you can attach it to any bar and turn it into a safety squat bar but it is still too much for my broke ass college kid budget.
            Ok, how about this, two vice grips, tight as hell clamped on as the handles?

            Comment


            • #7
              Wrist / elbow / tendon mobility work and stretching and strengthening ?
              Deep tendon massage maybe? Just thinking outside the box a bit.
              "This is your life. It is the only one you get. So no excuses, and no do-overs. If you make a mistake or fail at something you learn from it, you get over it and you move on. Your job is to be the very best person you can be and to never settle for anything less."
              ~ Ann Richards, former TX governor

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by sampsellta View Post
                there is a charity one coming up and it's the week after a scheduled deload (i do 5/3/1) so i might do that. I want to do a sanctioned meet around spring break.

                Yeah, I'm planning on competing around spring break too. Plenty of time between now and then.
                #docswholift
                PGY-1 FM
                "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

                Comment


                • #9
                  Wrist wraps absolutely help. When I squat, anything more than about 200 I use wrist wraps on, because mine ache like CRAZY because of the weird angle and pressure that they're under. The heavier the weight, the tighter I wrap. It helps me immensely.
                  Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                  kind of a douche

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jen View Post
                    Wrist / elbow / tendon mobility work and stretching and strengthening ?
                    Deep tendon massage maybe? Just thinking outside the box a bit.
                    You volunteering on the massage part? Nevermind, too far away and my wife would castrate me. lol

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                      Wrist wraps absolutely help. When I squat, anything more than about 200 I use wrist wraps on, because mine ache like CRAZY because of the weird angle and pressure that they're under. The heavier the weight, the tighter I wrap. It helps me immensely.
                      You guys got some real issues, needing wrist straps for squats. I guess I will count my blessings until that day.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Wrap that shit tight. The heavier I go, the tighter the wrap.
                        2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

                        2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

                        2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

                        2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total


                        Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by doug1 View Post
                          You guys got some real issues, needing wrist straps for squats. I guess I will count my blessings until that day.
                          That's what happens when you squat *real* weights :drama:
                          Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                          kind of a douche

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I wrapp them tight as hell and I wrap up into my palm some to help stabilize them more but they just get achey and eventually start to hurt. Some days I can squat damn near a 1RM without any pain and other days I squat 50% and feel like my wrists got caught between a 2x4 and a sledge hammer.
                            The average silverback gorilla in the wild is between 5'7 and 5'11, and weighs between 298 and 397 pounds (according to wikipedia). Why not shoot for that?

                            -LoRez from T Nation

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                              That's what happens when you squat *real* weights :drama:
                              Haha, fair enough. I accept that. lol

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X