Insulin Sensitivity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulin Sensitivity

I would like to take steps to improve my insulin sensitivity long term. Does anyone have any experience with supplementing for improving sensitivity?

Chromium, flaxseed and fenugreek I have read can help improve carbohydrate metabolism and insulin sensitivity but I'm not finding any real research to show this. I've seen psyllium husk can also help but I can't find a good way to use it without it slowing down the absorption of other nutrients from my diet as well.

I'm in my off season and working with Skip. The carbs and calories in general are not that high yet. But as they increase I would like to make better use of carbs and go into my next prep with improved sensitivity. So anything besides supplements are welcomed suggestions as well.

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
    *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
    •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
    *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

It appears to be critical to supplement with a form of ALA called R-Lipoic acid. Apparently it's significantly more effective than regular ALA. 12 times according to one article. (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/idssports11.htm)

Truenutrition has a supplement called "MD's Ultimate Glucose Disposal Agent" which contains this form of ALA along with some other ingredients I haven't researched yet. It might be worth a shot if I can find some good research on the other ingredients. Might be more cost effective to buy straight R-Lipoic acid unless anyone has had experience with the TrueNutrition product.

*2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
    *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

I use the tn glucose disposal agent formulated by md. Actually md sells an improved version of this product through the prime brand. Also look into straight up berberine or a product called glycox I get on Amazon. Cinnamon as well is beneficial in this regard.
      SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Metphormin.

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
          I use the tn glucose disposal agent formulated by md. Actually md sells an improved version of this product through the prime brand. Also look into straight up berberine or a product called glycox I get on Amazon. Cinnamon as well is beneficial in this regard.
          Review of what you think of the MD glucose disposal agent?

Do you have a link for the improved version of the glucose disposal agent?

Dose recommendations or specific formulations on the berberine and cinnamon?

I see a few different cinnamon out there. I see regular, bark extract and just extract. I'm guessing the extract is more potent but I don't know by how much. I read that 3-6g a day is ideal of regular cinnamon.
          Last edited by Collabera; 09-20-2015, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Collabera View Post
            Review of what you think of the MD glucose disposal agent?
            The only thing I have noticed is that I don't get sleepy when taking it with large amounts of carbs.

Do you have a link for the improved version of the glucose disposal agent?
            http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/pr...tition-md.html

Dose recommendations or specific formulations on the berberine and cinnamon?
            For berberine I usually take the glycox product pre and pwo. On skiploading days I will take it three times for the day. Cinnamon is usually 1/4 teaspoon daily and full teaspoon or two on skiploading days.

I see a few different cinnamon out there. I see regular, bark extract and just extract. I'm guessing the extract is more potent but I don't know by how much. I read that 3-6g a day is ideal of regular cinnamon.
            I use the extract.

Comment

As Nasty as it is I use a TBSP of apple cider vinegar before meals

Comment

What would be the dosing for the extract?
                I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
                I too like to live dangerously

Comment

Originally posted by DC_catholic315 View Post
                  What would be the dosing for the extract?

I dose depending on the amount of carbs. Between a 1/4 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon.

Apple cider vinegar usually first thing in the morning with my warm water sea salt and lemon/lime juice concoction.

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
                    I dose depending on the amount of carbs. Between a 1/4 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon.

Apple cider vinegar usually first thing in the morning with my warm water sea salt and lemon/lime juice concoction.
                    really?? what effects do you notice with this?

Comment

Insulin Sensitivity

Read that it provided alkalinity to the body and helps improve Insuline sensitivity. It's too simple and cheap not to do it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by steve302 View Post
                        really?? what effects do you notice with this?
                        http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14694010

Comment

Look into berberine (herbal) and metformin if you're not opposed to using pharmaceuticals.
                          Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
                          FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
                          www.316fit.com
                          Email: [email protected]

Comment

I ordered a few things last night to get myself started. I will probably use one of the following at a time so I know what has the greatest effect:

Braggs organic raw apple cider vinegar (3) 32 oz bottles
                            Natures bounty Cinnamon 1000mg 100capsules 3 bottles (I will order the extract soon)

Good State Glycox 400 with Berberine HCL 400mg, 120 Capsules
                            BulkSupplements Pure R-Alpha Lipoic Acid (R-ALA) Powder (25 grams)

Some of these act on insulin sensitivity in different ways and I'll have to look back at the studies I have read. Some will mimic insulin so you produce less, some will slow carbohydrate absorption and some will make cells more sensitive to insulin. So I'll need to try each on their own for a while and then begin combining them.

I may order a blood glucose monitor to see the result as they happen.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. If anyone has any more let me know.

Comment

And .... metformin is totally skipped over. lol And ridiculously inexpensive. I think I got Glycomet 1000 tabs of 1000mg ER for like 30 bucks or something silly from India.

Apple Cidar Vinegar would be my choice if not going the pharm route but if you want to get it done and have a significant impact on blood sugar levels, metformin is the way to go. GDAs don't even come close.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
                              Instagram: @intensemuscle
                              YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                              TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Working...
                              X