Best two way for higher frequency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best two way for higher frequency

I need your guys advice for a two way split for higher frequency training.

I`d like to train 5 days a week (Mo, Tue, Thu, Fri, Sat).
    I read a lot of articles from Scott about higher frequency training. And I did a long time DC.

I came up with this options:

a) Push/Pull
    b) Chest, Back, Arms / Legs, Shoulders (old Hernon one)
    c) Chest, Triceps, Legs / Back, Shoulders, Biceps

What would you guys suggest?
    I have to complement that the split should be a good one in regards of shoulder health. My shoulder is very fried and I only do laterals for them.

You want a two way split, but post a three day? I'm confused.

Comment

To answer the question, I've kinda been doing a two way. sometimes.
      day 1, arms, calves, legs. In that order. widow maker for all, calves are 100 reps, both at same time, bodyweight. Set of curls, set of extensions, 100 rep calves, then widow maker with squats. Ok day 1 is covered.

Day 2, Chest, back, delts.

Don't do widowmaker with chest(don't want to read about a guy who died from freebar, barbell bench press) heavy pushing sets, finish with an isolation, a few sets of cable crossover. Now for back, widow maker with either a back width, or back thickness. Less weight for a pull up, or no weight. Then, for delts, side laterals, widow maker.

Comment

I train Mon-Wed-Fri 2x Day

AM
        Chest/Delts/Tri's/Quads
        PM
        Back/Bi's/Hams/Upper Back-Rear Delts

Comment

Flying L position
          Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
          kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by doug1 View Post
            You want a two way split, but post a three day? I'm confused.
            Where did I post a three day?
            The push/pull is the same as RobbHensel wrote it.

To answer the question, I've kinda been doing a two way. sometimes.
            day 1, arms, calves, legs. In that order. widow maker for all, calves are 100 reps, both at same time, bodyweight. Set of curls, set of extensions, 100 rep calves, then widow maker with squats. Ok day 1 is covered.

Day 2, Chest, back, delts.

Don't do widowmaker with chest(don't want to read about a guy who died from freebar, barbell bench press) heavy pushing sets, finish with an isolation, a few sets of cable crossover. Now for back, widow maker with either a back width, or back thickness. Less weight for a pull up, or no weight. Then, for delts, side laterals, widow maker.
            I like that one. How many times a week do you do this one?

Originally posted by RobbHensel View Post
            I train Mon-Wed-Fri 2x Day

AM
            Chest/Delts/Tri's/Quads
            PM
            Back/Bi's/Hams/Upper Back-Rear Delts
            2 x day is not possible for me through 14 hour work. But the AM sessions seems very hard for the shoulders. Do you do any pressing for them?

Comment

Yeah, I mean DC training Advocates the same type of split, my rep ranges are higher now also. If you train 6 days just alternate my AM & PM split on each day. I also use different exercises. Upper Body I stay 10-20 reps, lower 15-30

Comment

Originally posted by Big-Chest View Post
                Where did I post a three day?
                The push/pull is the same as RobbHensel wrote it.

I like that one. How many times a week do you do this one?

2 x day is not possible for me through 14 hour work. But the AM sessions seems very hard for the shoulders. Do you do any pressing for them?
                I try and train every day. But it doesn't always work out. I took this last sunday off, which I haven't done in a long time. Sunday is usually chest/back(sometimes shoulders). So monday, I did chest/back/shoulders. For chest, I did heavy flat bench with cable crossovers after. For back, I did seated rows, one arm at a time, widow makers. Then side laterals, widow maker.

Tuesday. Z bar curls, widowmakers, 30 reps. Lying triceps z bar, 50 reps. 100 rep calf extensions. 22 reps squats with 225.

Today, dips, bodyweight, 50 reps. Some rest pause at about 35, eeking out 5 reps at a time to get to 50. Then pullups, bodyweight. Parallel grip, 18 reps without pause, then rest pause to 25. Then side laterals with 30 pound dumbells for 22 reps, with some rest pause around 14 reps.

So tomorrow is arms/legs. I will post tomorrow what I do...

Comment

Thank you guys. Both splits sound very great!!!

doug1, would be great if you post your session. How do you progress in each lift if you do widowmakers?

Comment

Originally posted by Big-Chest View Post
                    Thank you guys. Both splits sound very great!!!

doug1, would be great if you post your session. How do you progress in each lift if you do widowmakers?
                    Well, I've been training for so long that strength increases are almost impossible to come by. I have noticed that I have been able to get a few more reps on many lifts than when I first started doing mostly widowmakers. I'm real hesitant to add weight, as all my joints are nice and healthy at the moment, I prefer having higher reps. Stick with basics, hopefully the basic moves are also your favorite moves. Use your imagination with the set.
                    Example, I have a seated row machine, that I like to do one arm rows with, better stretch and more range of motion to pull it back further, as well as not having my chest crammed into the pad and making it hard to breath. I like lower rep for back, I have a weight right now that I can get about 8 reps straight, then I will rest pause to about 15. I did single arm dumbell rows yesterday, 105 pounders(that's the heaviest I have). I got pretty much the same reps as what I said with the seated row.
                    Then, after a small break and catching my breath, I finished with side laterals, 30 pounders. I've gotten stronger with that, use to fail around 14 reps, then rest pause to get to 20. Now, I fail around 16-17, then rest pause to 22 reps. I may grab the 35's one of these days, but that's a pretty big jump, I've had issues with my shoulders, so I'm hesitant.
                    My reason for using this lately is that I train on my back porch, in Florida, and we've had some really hot days. I've got so many things going on in my life, I don't have the time, nor the desire, to spend a lot of time training. I like high frequency training, these single, balls to the wall sets are great for that. I will usually have just a little stiffness in the muscle the next day. But then 2 days after, it's gone and I'm ready to blast the muscle again.
                    On my arm leg/day, I will come home, widowmaker for bis, then tris. Then take a shower, which gives me a little rest. Then crank out calves, then a set of widowmaker squats. No belt, for a long time now and it's been way better for my lower back. Haven't had one issue. I only use 225, I crank out 22 reps without much trouble. I use to fail around 12-14, then rest pause to 20. Now, I fail around 16-18, then rest pause to 22.
                    Widowmakers are great for strength increases!

I got 20 straight reps on the squat a little bit ago. Maybe doing it in flip flops helped...Time to add a little weight.
                    doug1
                    Light-heavyweight Member
                    Last edited by doug1; 08-29-2015, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Hey Doug, can I just clarify that when you use the term "widow maker", it's not in the traditional DC sense of being one NON rest-paused straight set? What you are referring to are high rep rest-paused sets, is that right?

Comment

Originally posted by Skinnyrunt View Post
                        Hey Doug, can I just clarify that when you use the term "widow maker", it's not in the traditional DC sense of being one NON rest-paused straight set? What you are referring to are high rep rest-paused sets, is that right?
                        It is one big set, with some "rest pause" thrown in. For example, squat, once you fail, you just stand there for a couple seconds, allowing some recovery, then do 2 more reps, rest a couple seconds, etc. until you get the desired number of reps, or to the point, that you know your form and cardiovascular system is spent. The mind will tell you.

I did curls with a z bar earlier, failed around 12, but made it to 30. That was brutal, always kept the bar in my hands, just kept cranking out, after very short rests of not doing anything but holding the bar down next to my legs.
                        Toward the last 8 reps or so, it was only one rep at a time, with a the short rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinnyrunt View Post
                          My understanding of a true DC widowmaker would be a weight that you fail at 10 normal reps, then, with rest pause, push it to 20. It works, best of all, it doesn't take very long.

Comment

My understanding of a true DC widowmaker would be a weight that you fail at 10 normal reps, then, with rest pause, push it to 20. It works, best of all, it doesn't take very long.

Not exactly. But I think I know what you mean
                            SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
                              Not exactly. But I think I know what you mean
                              Enlighten me, I don't want to distort DC. Lord knows, enough other people have done that.

Comment

Working...
                              X