how often do you have cheat meals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how often do you have cheat meals

Im trying to get shredded from about 20% bodyfat.

and then, my doctor is gonna give me some TRT.

lately ive been doing 1 day of free for all food probably hitting 15k cals. but I feel like this is doing more damage than good, so I think im just gonna cut it down to 1 buffet meal and that's it.

Cardio is at 3 1hr sessions a week and then 2 strength style conditoinng stuff like prowler or tire flipping.

I need to start tracking calories, but so far ive cut all my non protein food intake in half.

15,000 calories is insane and unnecessary. If you're in the the 20% area, you're nowhere near depleted enough to warrant a refeed of that size. I recently wrapped up my first attempt at a cut and lost 9-10lbs over 11 weeks. I used Saturdays as a cheat/refeed day and learned that I was far too lenient with it. I was hoping to have lost 15-20lbs over 12 weeks, but live and learn.

It absolutely is a numbers game. You have to track and know your caloric intake. I used these guidelines:

Fat loss: Body weight X 10–13
    Maintenance: Body weight X 14–16
    Weight gain: Body weight X 16–22

I got that from this article: http://www.elitefts.com/education/tr...-for-strength/

I also consulted this: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ulations.html/

Comment

Where did you get the idea that 15,000 calories was a "cheat meal"? Or that eating that many calories in a single day while trying to lose weight was the right way to go about it?

A "cheat meal" is more like a Burger and Fries, not an all day extravaganza.

At 20% body fat you shouldn't even be utilizing cheat meals. My recommendation would be to get a solid month of fat loss under your belt before you consider using one at that amount of body fat.

Comment

Yeah, what they said.
        Besides the cardio, train your ass off and get used to being hungry most of the time. If your not willing to do that, you won't like your progress. Food is technically your enemy, Idc how you manipulate macro profiles.

Stop worrying about losing muscle, not at 20% bf. The body won't tap into muscle until you get below 8-10%. NEVER EVER eat if you're not hungry, NEVER!

Comment

I thought that 15,000 was a typo. I couldn't physically eat that much even if i tried.

Comment

I made a typo

15000 in one day

And yeah it's pretty easy to do since I was a swimmer for a couple years and putting down lord of calories after practice was the only way to maintain weight

But I guess I'll have to stop that shit since I don't swim anymore

So no cheat meal for a month and then have one?

Comment

I'd venture you can have a cheat meal every week IF you are going pretty low-calories or low-carbs. Otherwise, if you don't have good self-control or wanna make a drastic change in body composition, one cheat meal every 2-3 weeks should do it.

But I'd make that cheat meal very conservative, one single meal just you get a small break from your diet, as in, finish training on a Saturday and head to burger king for a double Whopper with some fries and soda, then back to the diet plan. As you get leaner you can get away with a bit more food on cheat days and being a bit less strict (but don't exaggerate, you don't wanna develop overfeeding habits).

1000-1200kcals over your dietary caloric intake is a good way to go. IMO 15000kcals once a week would actually set you back a few days, the effect on your metabolism be akin to starving yourself during the day and gorging at night, except on a greater scale.

Yes there are people out there who can do 15000kcal cheat meals weekly during contest prep and what not (Juan Diesel Morel) but you have to factor in exogenous substance use and individual metabolic rates.
              "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Depends on what everyone defines as a "cheat meal". I could eat ice cream every day (especially around my workout) and still lose weight. It really comes down to calories in versus calories expended, portion control, and consistency. I agree 15K is nuts! My biggest refeed/skipload ever (while competing and VERY depleted) was about 10k.
                "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

Comment

What is it with swimmers and eating?! I remember hearing about Michael Phelps' ridiculous daily food intake - but then again he probably did have the munchies half the time too......

Comment

When you do hard practices 2 hours a day 6 days a week your bodyweight drops like crazy if you eat your regular maintainence diet.

Intense swimming is one of the best ways to cut... but it also trashes your CNS very quickly.

I'd be lucky to have done 5% of the intensity Phelps did.. pretty sure he was at 6 hours a day.
                    Last edited by Calipso; 08-12-2015, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Interesting. I was always under the impression that swimming was not ideal for cutting. I think it's because I got told a few years back that it's something to do with the water cooling your body temperature down and the water supporting your body weight, and I think because most people don't actually swim hard enough to make it an intense exercise. But thinking about it now, that all sounds like bro science. Especially if you were doing sprints / intervals, that's gotta be exhausting.

How come you don't swim anymore?

Comment

I say train how you wanna look. You wanna look like Phelps, swim all day. You wanna look like arnold, train with weights.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinnyrunt View Post
                          Interesting. I was always under the impression that swimming was not ideal for cutting. I think it's because I got told a few years back that it's something to do with the water cooling your body temperature down and the water supporting your body weight, and I think because most people don't actually swim hard enough to make it an intense exercise. But thinking about it now, that all sounds like bro science. Especially if you were doing sprints / intervals, that's gotta be exhausting.

How come you don't swim anymore?
                          I graduated college and quickly came to the realization that I will never be anywhere close to making it to Olympic trials.

Comment

15k for a cheat day is pretty extreme BUT ... what matters is not the amount of the cheat but whether you are progressing or not. If you are 20% and blowing an entire day with cheat meals for 15k a day but losing 2 to 3 pounds a week, consistently, you might not want to change what you are doing.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
                            Instagram: @intensemuscle
                            YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                            TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
                              15k for a cheat day is pretty extreme BUT ... what matters is not the amount of the cheat but whether you are progressing or not. If you are 20% and blowing an entire day with cheat meals for 15k a day but losing 2 to 3 pounds a week, consistently, you might not want to change what you are doing.

Skip
                              I didn't see where he said he was losing 2-3 pounds a week?

Comment

Working...
                              X