Tricep Cable pushdowns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tricep Cable pushdowns

Not sure if this is the right forum to discuss specific exercise technique.
    This might be a dumb question, but it is related to best way to maximize cable pushdowns (or extensions, as some may call them) on the high pulley.
    I always try to find the right angle to recruit more triceps and less chest and shoulders on these. i see a majority lean forward "over" the bar or rope but I sense taht doing so, although puts me in a stronger position to push, gets my chest and delts too involved. When I stand more upright I feel my triceps being more isolated but I tend to lose my balance because the weight stack pulls my whole body LOL...
    How do you guys approach this exercise?
    Another thing taht I noticed is that most guys push the handle straight down in front of them, but when i push down and back till the handle touches my upper tighs, i am able to recruit mor of the long head (the "meat") of the tricep...So basically I extend "down and back" until the handle bumps my upper legs
    2006 NPC SUPERIOR NOVICE AND OPEN MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMPION
    2006 NPC MIDFLORIDA CLASSIC LIGHTHEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION

Removed..No free advertising!

I have no clue which way is better so I try to do both ways. I will use a straight bar and go heavy as i can for 3 sets in the 8-12 range followed by a V handle with lighter weight standing straight as possible with elbows back trying to isolate the tris.
    6/22/13 - 2013 NPC VICTORY CLASSIC
    1st - Novice Men's Lightheavy & Novice overall

Comment

Rock,

You might try using a dip belt loaded with a 25 or 45lb'er to anchor yourself.

-S
      The Book Has Arrived!
      The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
      2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
      2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Dorian Yates-style

Comment

I use an ez bar and prefer to hold at its widest with the hands in almost a neutral position. If I do these in reverse fashion I still keep my hands at the widest.
          SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

There are basically 2 ways to do these, as you explained in the original post:

1. Leaning in to gain leverage
            2. Standing tall and using it as more of a "peak contraction" type of movement

Both have their place but I find that leaning in for leverage is limiting because you will eventually get to the point that your abs will struggle to support your upper body when the weight gets to be too big.

I prefer to recommend (and use personally) the 2nd option so that it is more of a pre-exhaust for heavier, more basic/compound exercises.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
            Instagram: @intensemuscle
            YouTube: TEAMSKIP
            TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Tricep Cable pushdowns

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
              There are basically 2 ways to do these, as you explained in the original post:

1. Leaning in to gain leverage
              2. Standing tall and using it as more of a "peak contraction" type of movement

Both have their place but I find that leaning in for leverage is limiting because you will eventually get to the point that your abs will struggle to support your upper body when the weight gets to be too big.

I prefer to recommend (and use personally) the 2nd option so that it is more of a pre-exhaust for heavier, more basic/compound exercises.

Skip

I found another way to get that peak contraction you note is doing them with dual ropes, which I got from John Meadows, in semi-upright position. This seems to really allows for a strong strong contraction as it allows you to turn your hand and press back further with your tris without the rope interfering with your body.

You can also lean into it and almost finish in a kickback position if you desire and really change the movement.

http://youtu.be/LYv_Ww0WC0E

Just something else for the toolbox...
              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
              2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
              2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                I found another way to get that peak contraction you note is doing them with dual ropes, which I got from John Meadows, in semi-upright position. This seems to really allows for a strong strong contraction as it allows you to turn your hand and press back further with your tris without the rope interfering with your body.

You can also lean into it and almost finish in a kickback position if you desire and really change the movement.

http://youtu.be/LYv_Ww0WC0E

Just something else for the toolbox...
                ^^^THAT is exactly what I was referring about. Most people push straight down or even down and way from their bodies. I notice tah twhen I push down and back until the bar makes contact with my upper tighs there is more tricep involvement closer to the shoulder in the "meat" of the long head

Comment

^ i love the dual ropes but honestly in a commercial gym its almost sacrilege to hog both ropes :P but the contraction is absolutely amazing

I personally use option 2 that Skip suggested and when the weight begins to break down my form and reps I switch to a straight bar and go to option 1. Keep hitting the arm and reintroduce a new movement to resurge strength and keep the pump moving.

Comment

Working...
                  X