Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Staying with 3-5rm until it becomes 20rm.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying with 3-5rm until it becomes 20rm.

Started a ppl routine a few weeks ago. I decided to take things from different training philosophies that work really well for me. So far I'm seeing good results.
    One of the main principles I'm focusing on is sticking with 3-5 rm on the squat, deadlift, and bench press until it I hit 20reps with each and then I'll drop back down and start over.

I like what Iron Addict said about getting someone to bench 1.5 times their body weight, squat 2x their body weight, and deadlift 2.5x their body weight, all for a 20 rep max.

I know there is a better way to do this than what I've started, however this was just kind of inspired by what he had written about that. You never know until you try and see what works for each individual.

I'll post up the routine later when I have more time.

Accidentally deleted the last few weeks trying to copy it. Here's a review of what didn't get deleted. The workout will be 2on1off2on1off2on2off
    Other exercises will be worked up to 30-50 depending on the exercise. Cardio and abs on off days will be fasted.
    When I stall on an exercise for 2 workouts I will change it.

Ham curl150x18 25rp
    Leg ext 125x20 30rp
    Rdl 225x15 ss
    Squat 315x8 ss
    Leg press machine wm 200x20
    Calf raise nautilus 95x12

Push heavy
    Bench 245x10 15rp 20sec static
    Inc flies 35x17ss
    Military machine 125x18 25rp
    Lat raise 30x15 Ss
    Kickbacks 35x19 ss
    Abs
    Day off fasted cardio/abs

Pull heavy
    Db rows 100x 1rp
    Pull downs 175x. 1rp lat stretch
    Preacher curl 110x. 1rp
    Pinwheel curls 30x Ss bicep stretch
    Dl 2x405

Leg light day
    Leg ext 85x
    Leg curl100x
    Leg press Ss
    Bb hip thrust 95x Ss
    Calf raise
    Front squat from bottom 95x. Ss
    Smith wm 185x

Day off cardio/ abs

Push light
    Incline smith 215 1rp static hold
    Push up Ss
    Standing military 95x 1rp
    Uprow db 35x Ss
    Dip. 3rp
    Abs

Pull light
    Pull ups 4x
    Cable row 150x. 2rp
    Db curls 30x 1rp
    Reverse grip bb curls 75x Ss
    Rack pulls 455x Ss
    Cable reverse fly Ss
    Abs

Day off cardio/abs

Leg heavy
    Last edited by Nogichute; 07-28-2015, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Today was cardio and abs.
      Cardio I do at home on my tread climber. Woke up did fasted hiit for 20 minutes. My legs and calves were on fire. Then I did an ab circuit. Took about five minutes.
      Felt good but hate cardio. My job requires me to stay in shape so the cardio allows for more leniency on the diet.
      Plus I noticed that fasted cardio cuts down on carb cravings for me. Which is good on off days. Also helps with gaining muscle and losing fat the same time.
      Tomorrow will be my heavy pull day.
      Look forward to it, but I'm usually trying to puke on leg and pull days.
      Last edited by Nogichute; 07-29-2015, 05:43 PM.

Comment

So you are going to take the weight that you get only 3-5 reps and fail with and try and get it to 20?
        That's pretty lofty. Now I can see it with rest pausing through the set, eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by doug1 View Post
          So you are going to take the weight that you get only 3-5 reps and fail with and try and get it to 20?
          That's pretty lofty. Now I can see it with rest pausing through the set, eventually.
          That is how I am reading it to, and honestly with me...AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. Example, when I am at my strongest I could hit 500x4 in DL. No chance I am getting that for 20. I hit 405x5 in sq... I just barely got 245 for 20 when I was on DC training doing a widow maker so to think I could add a few hundred pounds is out of the ?. I just 275x5 on the incline bb press recently. To get 20 one day? I have a better chance of getting struck by lightning or winning the lottery. This might work for a guy with less than 1 year of training. Perhaps taking your best 3-5 reps and upping the lbs once you hit 8 might be more realistic IMO.
          Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

Comment

Originally posted by Swaminator View Post
            That is how I am reading it to, and honestly with me...AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. Example, when I am at my strongest I could hit 500x4 in DL. No chance I am getting that for 20. I hit 405x5 in sq... I just barely got 245 for 20 when I was on DC training doing a widow maker so to think I could add a few hundred pounds is out of the ?. I just 275x5 on the incline bb press recently. To get 20 one day? I have a better chance of getting struck by lightning or winning the lottery. This might work for a guy with less than 1 year of training. Perhaps taking your best 3-5 reps and upping the lbs once you hit 8 might be more realistic IMO.
            Exactly. I was thinking about this post today. Idk how long he has been training. I try and be "nice" with my post. I use to be more blunt in my younger days. lol, I say "lofty", you say, "aint gonna happen", "hit the lottery", "struck by lightning", I use to say that kind of stuff online. I definitely use those stronger terms with my wife, cuzz she knows me. Guess I've become soft in my old age or a victim of the PC garbage, or both? lol

Btw, incredible poundages you are up to, nice job! Just watch the joints as you age. Don't be ashamed to reduce and save your joints and be pain free.
            Last edited by doug1; 08-04-2015, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by doug1 View Post
              Exactly. I was thinking about this post today. Idk how long he has been training. I try and be "nice" with my post. I use to be more blunt in my younger days. lol, I say "lofty", you say, "aint gonna happen", "hit the lottery", "struck by lightning", I use to say that kind of stuff online. I definitely use those stronger terms with my wife, cuzz she knows me. Guess I've become soft in my old age or a victim of the PC garbage, or both? lol

Btw, incredible poundages you are up to, nice job! Just watch the joints as you age. Don't be ashamed to reduce and save your joints and be pain free.
              Yeah, I wasn't meaning to sound blunt to the OP...actually all my comments were directed at ME. He might be able to pull it off, but man, if he does he will be a beast. And for me, I know about wear and tear from heavy lifting. I made a proclamation on here several months ago about swearing off big LBS in order to save my lower back. Quality of life into my "middle aged" years has taken the priority over getting jacked up or moving big weights. I am training as hard as ever but working in a MUCH higher rep range.
              Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

Comment

Originally posted by Swaminator View Post
                Yeah, I wasn't meaning to sound blunt to the OP...actually all my comments were directed at ME. He might be able to pull it off, but man, if he does he will be a beast. And for me, I know about wear and tear from heavy lifting. I made a proclamation on here several months ago about swearing off big LBS in order to save my lower back. Quality of life into my "middle aged" years has taken the priority over getting jacked up or moving big weights. I am training as hard as ever but working in a MUCH higher rep range.
                Very good, on all counts.
                Good post!

Comment

Working...
                X