Am I losing my mind...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I losing my mind...?

I'm starting to see this pattern when I squat. When I wear a belt, I seem to have MORE aggravation in my lower back in the hours that follow than when I don't wear one....

Anybody else experience this, or am I going crazy?

My guess is when you wear a belt, you're not focusing on keeping your core as tight as without a belt. That forces your lower back to work harder to stabilize you because everything else in there is slacking off.

Also could be because you're using more weight when you use a belt.
    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
    kind of a douche

Comment

Thanks for the reply Sammich, I had the same thoughts. Gonna go without for awhile and see how it goes.

I also have one of the fatter belts, about 4" wide, I think I have seen thinner, I think? I'm wondering if it manipulates the spine, taking out the natural curve, putting more stress on one of the discs, or the ligaments, tendons, muscles, around that disc. I like to rest-pause to get the last say 5-6 reps, I think my form can start to suffer at the end. Not so much in bending over too much, but not tensing my core enough...
      Last edited by doug1; 07-26-2015, 08:52 AM.

Comment

are we talking powerlifting or bodybuilding here?
        2006 NPC SUPERIOR NOVICE AND OPEN MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMPION
        2006 NPC MIDFLORIDA CLASSIC LIGHTHEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION

Removed..No free advertising!

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
          are we talking powerlifting or bodybuilding here?
          Bb, I'm getting old at 44.

Comment

Originally posted by doug1 View Post
            Bb, I'm getting old at 44.
            I am 41 and will be 42 in October, and honestly I feel taht training without belt helps me with mind/muscle connection and allows me to work more stabilizing muscles with proper blood flow throughout my whole body.
            My theory is: If I am needing a belt or knee wraps I am probably using too much weight for my own good.
            If I were you I would ditch the belt, up the reps and focus on form, wit ha solid foundation when squatting
            2006 NPC SUPERIOR NOVICE AND OPEN MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMPION
            2006 NPC MIDFLORIDA CLASSIC LIGHTHEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION

Removed..No free advertising!

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
              I am 41 and will be 42 in October, and honestly I feel taht training without belt helps me with mind/muscle connection and allows me to work more stabilizing muscles with proper blood flow throughout my whole body.
              My theory is: If I am needing a belt or knee wraps I am probably using too much weight for my own good.
              If I were you I would ditch the belt, up the reps and focus on form, wit ha solid foundation when squatting
              Thanks Rock, good advice. I didn't use one for a long time. Should have left in gym bag.

Comment

I ditched the belt a year or so ago on everything.

I am no longer doing anything super heavy so no longer use it.

I ditched wrist straps and gloves etc for all exercises except SLDL and only use them in this exercise as I do sets of 30. I was fine without straps here too until I hit 225lbs and then my hands just could not hold on for long enough and were limiting me.
                "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
                Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
                'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
                ~William Bernbach

Comment

Thanks SAHD!

Comment

Working...
                  X