Healthy(-er) substitute for Clif bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Healthy(-er) substitute for Clif bars

In the morning, I'm usually so pressed for time (or want to hurry up and get to work) that I need something FAST to eat for breakfast. I'm also almost never hungry in the mornings, so I tend to resort to a protein shake, Clif bar, and a palmful of nuts. I use the Clif bars because they taste so good I don't have to struggle to eat them.

But I know they're almost all sugar. Anyone know of some other carb source that is similarly fast, better for me, and tastes good enough so that I don't have to fight to eat it? :hungry:
    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
    kind of a douche

Whole wheat toast with "I can't believe it's not butter", or peanut butter. I do this a couple times a week.
    2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Is fruit an option?
      SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
        Is fruit an option?
        I guess the only reason why it wouldn't be is it takes too long to eat. o_O Relatively speaking. On weekdays I just wanna GTFO the door as fast as possible.
        kind of a douche

Comment

I think there are some oatmeal powders that you blend with your protein powder. You could look for something like that.

I'm a little crazy but I used to mix a scoop of chocolate whey with a few whole raw eggs cracked into my shaker with some olive oil and shake that up. You could do that with oatmeal powders and even throw in a large scoop of peanut butter on the side. Or even a powdered peanut butter to mix. I don't even taste the raw eggs or notice their texture if I drink it fast enough haha which it sounds like you're looking for something quick anyways.

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
          *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
          •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
          *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
            I guess the only reason why it wouldn't be is it takes too long to eat. o_O Relatively speaking. On weekdays I just wanna GTFO the door as fast as possible.

How about dry high gi fruit like dates? A few of those and its 100g of carbs.

Comment

In the blender every day - 2 eggs, milk, protein, oats, shredded coconut and a frozen banana. If I am in a rush then this goes into a shaker bottle and I am out the door with 50grams of protein, 60grams of carbs and a healthy serving of fat.
              "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
              Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
              'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
              ~William Bernbach

Comment

Shelby once posted that he didn't eat bars, but he'd go with VPX Zero Impact if he did. That's not just carbs, that's sure more expensive than Clif Bars, but I used to like them back when I used to have more carbs than I do these days.
                Daniel7908
                Middleweight Member
                Last edited by Daniel7908; 07-03-2015, 10:53 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                  ...and a palmful of nuts.
                  Yeah, you sure do.

Here's an idea: GET UP EARLIER.

And to think I get PAID for this kind of advice.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
                  Instagram: @intensemuscle
                  YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                  TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel7908 View Post
                    Shelby once posted that he didn't eat bars, but he'd go with VPX Zero Impact if he did.
                    They've been discontinued, much to my dismay. They tasted awesome and had 400-440 calories per bar while almost everything else on the market seems to have 180-210. I think they had 35g of carbs if I recall correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by TLopez View Post
                      Whole wheat toast with "I can't believe it's not butter", or peanut butter. I do this a couple times a week.
                      I didn't think about that. I could probably put down a couple slices of Ezekiel bread with PB pretty easily.

Originally posted by Collabera View Post
                      I think there are some oatmeal powders that you blend with your protein powder. You could look for something like that.

I'm a little crazy but I used to mix a scoop of chocolate whey with a few whole raw eggs cracked into my shaker with some olive oil and shake that up. You could do that with oatmeal powders and even throw in a large scoop of peanut butter on the side. Or even a powdered peanut butter to mix. I don't even taste the raw eggs or notice their texture if I drink it fast enough haha which it sounds like you're looking for something quick anyways.
                      Originally posted by SAHD View Post
                      In the blender every day - 2 eggs, milk, protein, oats, shredded coconut and a frozen banana. If I am in a rush then this goes into a shaker bottle and I am out the door with 50grams of protein, 60grams of carbs and a healthy serving of fat.
                      This might be where I'm headed. I don't have a blender, but just mixing up a bunch of shit and drinking it would be the most convenient thing, it seems.

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
                      How about dry high gi fruit like dates? A few of those and its 100g of carbs.
                      I didn't even think about that. You think other dried/dehydrated fruits might also work?

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
                      Yeah, you sure do.

Here's an idea: GET UP EARLIER.

And to think I get PAID for this kind of advice.

Skip
                      That is 100% not an option. Actually, time isn't a huge deal, but lack of appetite is. I would have great difficulty putting down a bowl of oatmeal or whatnot in the mornings.
                      kind of a douche

Comment

I personally like dates for the hi gi. It really takes only a few to hit some high carb numbers. Plus they are high in fiber as well as other nutrients. In my Greek yogurt for breakfast I will throw in a scoop or two of chocolate flavored protein (team skip blend) and a few dried prunes.

Comment

Working...
                        X