What am i doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am i doing wrong?

Hi all, I am currently 162.8pounds and around 6ft or 6ft 1. I lift 4 times a week. 2 on 1 off and then 2 on and weekend off.

Im 20 y/o and I have been lifting for 3 years but have gotten more serious about it in the last year or so.

I would say im skinny fat which frustrates me and I have tried cutting to lose the little belly I have but that wasn't a good Idea because it didn't work and I ended up losing a lot of muscle.

Anyway my calories at the moment are around 2400 approx. 190pro 40fat 280carbs on training days
    Non training days - 100-120carbs 190pro and 75fat

If I seem to up my carbs on training or non training days I seem to gain weight very easily which is confusing because im not even really in a surplus especially for my weight and height.

Could someone help me or head me in the right direction with some advice?

Thanks!!

What are your goals?
    The average silverback gorilla in the wild is between 5'7 and 5'11, and weighs between 298 and 397 pounds (according to wikipedia). Why not shoot for that?

-LoRez from T Nation

Comment

Thanks for looking

My goal is to build as much muscle as possible over the next year and a half or so and then do a cut to get shredded and bulk again.

Im currently gaining 0.4pounds approx a week on the current macros im on and i am getting stronger but it doesnt seem to show in the mirror i just look skinny fat and flat

Comment

I'll give you my $0.02 but take it with a grain of salt because there are a lot more people on here that are more qualified to answer than myself.

To make it simple: EAT MORE AND SLEEP MORE.

That being said, if you want to gain muscle then you need to eat. With that muscle will come some fat, that's just the way it is. Personally, I would aim to gain 1lb/week until you think it's too much. (Remember a grain of salt...I am a fat wannabe powerlifter that doesn't care about being shredded).

What I would do would be to increase your calories by 300. Shoot for 2,700 KCal. I shoot for 1.5xBW for protein consumption which would put you at 240g/day or 35% of your calories. I would go with 40% carbs (270g/day) and 25% fat (75g/day).***

I would do this for a couple of weeks before I re-evaluated and made some changes.

Also, what kind of program are you on? I have no advice for programming as I am shaky about my own programming most of the time but I'm sure someone on here will steer you in the right direction.

***This is what I would do. Your macros are going to be dependent on your biochemical makeup and how you work out.
        The average silverback gorilla in the wild is between 5'7 and 5'11, and weighs between 298 and 397 pounds (according to wikipedia). Why not shoot for that?

-LoRez from T Nation

Comment

Another easy option would be to just hire Skip or Homon and have them guide you through it.

-LoRez from T Nation

Comment

Appreciate the advice.

Not on any kind of programme.
            Monday- squat, bench and accessory back
            Tuesday- bench, deadlift, incline chest and arms
            Wednesday-rest
            Thursday, squat, seated shoulder press and accessory back
            Friday, deadlift, incline bench, arms

I aim for heavy on compound low reps and higher reps on accessory

Comment

Sempsellta is steering you right.

Originally posted by z33 View Post
              If I seem to up my carbs on training or non training days I seem to gain weight very easily which is confusing because im not even really in a surplus especially for my weight and height.
              Forget this statement right here. If you are gaining weight, YOU are in a surplus. Maybe some janky ass "formula" says you aren't, or "shouldn't be", but your body is telling you that YOU ARE.

Don't listen to formulas. They can help you "get in the ballpark", so they aren't useless... but once you start following your progress... listen to your body, and say fuck the formulas.

I know it's hard to do... it's hard for most of us, myself included. I was skinny fat at 135lbs. But seriously... ignore the body fat gains as best you can for right now. That doesn't mean grow a big ass keg belly and get to 30% body fat... but if you gain 4lbs of fat over a couple of months, resist the urge to say "omg, I need to cut". You will never make progress that way.

Set a goal for some lean muscle mass gains. Keep gaining until you reach your goal. Then... drop your body fat slowly. This is not a sprint, but a marathon. It will take a long time... but you will be much happier with the results.
              My intro thread: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=49855

Comment

As for program, I would say to go with a linear progression program. Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is the most popular. There are others though if you just Google them.

I say this because you are only 165lbs after 3 years of lifting. I think you would benefit from just worrying about getting strong before getting big. If you follow a linear progression program and eat in a surplus then you will get both bigger and stronger.

After following a linear program for a while and after you develop a base layer of strength, then you can probably switch to a program more tailor-made for your wants/needs.

-LoRez from T Nation

Comment

I can't look at this thread and not say this.. Sry but.

How do you deadlift bench squat 4x a week with any real intensity? And if you don't lift with intensity, what you go in there and lift at 30% of your 1rm or something? Why?

Clearly diet and training are waaaaay off/poor. Your perception of how hard you are working must be inaccurately high.

Comment

Hi thanks for all your advice guys.

And Hartley I do train with intensity in terms of heavy weight and low reps

At the moment my 1rm are the following

Deadlift - 172.5kg

Bench 92.5 kg

Squat - 130kg

Seated Shoulder press - 67.5kg

I want to try add more volume for my isolation exercises to try and gain more mass.

Comment

Originally posted by sampsellta View Post
                      Another easy option would be to just hire Skip or Homon and have them guide you through it.
                      The name rings a bell. I think we had some correspondence at one point.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
                      Instagram: @intensemuscle
                      YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                      TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

If your skinny fat, Like me, Lose the Fat first. If you can't do it yourself, Hire someone. We have the worst body type for this sport. Hard to put on muscle, yet can get fat quick, but not really show it, with clothes on.
                        You probably want to get your hormones checked also.

Comment

Appreciate the advice.

Monday- squat, bench and accessory back
                          Tuesday- bench, deadlift, incline chest and arms
                          Wednesday-rest
                          Thursday, squat, seated shoulder press and accessory back
                          Friday, deadlift, incline bench, arms

I aim for heavy on compound low reps and higher reps on accessory

Going to tell my story quickly - I was 18, 65kg skinny/fat and training weights 4 -6 times a week, plus running and sport and thought that this was my genetic potential. My dad worked with a lady who's husband ran a gym and is a beast. He said I could train at his gym at lunch time when he had no clients and he would give me some pointers on training and eating.

I put on 20kg that year and topped out a bit fat but very strong and still natty at 120kg - No I was not pretty. Scaled back to 100kg and looked great - sit on 105ish most times with ease now.

Thinking you know what you are doing and actually knowing what you are doing are very different things. I still have my old school days stupid programs where I benched every day and did arms every day I trained.

When I was working with this trainer I did deads every 10 days as that was all I could handle if I went really hard.

Bottom line hire or befriend someone if only for a few months to find out if you are missing something.

Some big helps for me have been Homon's peri-workout ideas, DC in general, Skips "Skip Loading" and his ideas on arm growth.

Most things you need are here on this site in the stickies and you will also find at most gyms people will help as long as you are consistent.

I help anyone who asks me some do very well but I find most are not consistent enough to benefit and end up complaining that hard work doesn't work for them but if you ask for their training diary (something I insist they keep) they don't want to show me.

Those are ok lifts for your weight but how many reps at those weights?
                          Last edited by SAHD; 07-01-2015, 12:04 AM.
                          "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
                          Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
                          'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
                          ~William Bernbach

Comment

Find a program so you have a systematic method of increasing your base of strength. Sampsellta gave good advice there.

At the moment my 1rm are the following

Deadlift - 172.5kg

Bench 92.5 kg

Squat - 130kg

Seated Shoulder press - 67.5kg

I want to try add more volume for my isolation exercises to try and gain more mass.
                            Get all those numbers up. The compound lifts are going to put the most muscle on you - focus on them, rather than the isolation exercises. At this point in the game, the isolation exercises are supplementary. Get in a surplus of food. You will put on muscle. Some fat will come with it. No need to become grossly overweight, but once you get the extra muscle and hold it for a while, losing the bodyfat will be a bit easier.
                            2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
                            2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
                            2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
                            2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
                            2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
                            2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
                              Find a program so you have a systematic method of increasing your base of strength. Sampsellta gave good advice there.

Get all those numbers up. The compound lifts are going to put the most muscle on you - focus on them, rather than the isolation exercises. At this point in the game, the isolation exercises are supplementary. Get in a surplus of food. You will put on muscle. Some fat will come with it. No need to become grossly overweight, but once you get the extra muscle and hold it for a while, losing the bodyfat will be a bit easier.
                              This.

Don't waste your time with a ton of isolation moves. Find a program that puts the bulk of its efforts into these. Which all should. If they don't, it's a waste of time. You're probably like me and can't put on muscle by just looking at a stack of weights.

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
                              *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
                              •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
                              *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

Working...
                              X