If the answer is obvious...feel free to call me stoopid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the answer is obvious...feel free to call me stoopid

A career change 3.5 years ago now, took me out of the gym as a personal trainer and put me into an office wearing a suit and tie. I was a very consistent DCr for 6+ years prior to the career shift but found that the new schedule didn't leave me with enough time, daily or weekly, to continue DC. So, I switched to 5,3,1 which didn't require the same amount of gym time during the day.

For 3 years, I continued to get stronger and improved on all of my lifts; but recently I have noticed a significant drop in strength, stamina, etc. I mean significant, to the tune of 50-60lbs on presses and more on squats and pulls. I've never been a super clean eater but I have always gotten sufficient calories to promote growth and recovery. My intake in the last year has definitely dropped but I don't think the drop is significant enough to warrant the strength losses mentioned above.

I guess I'm just curious if anyone has any thoughts? Here are a few of my thoughts...

a) It is really that obvious. Consume more quality calories stupid.
    b) Quit being a p*$$y, it's all in your head.
    c) You're just too old, you should take up marathon running-- (just turned 34)
    d) You're too old, it's time to gear up-- I just had bloodwork done and am waiting for results
    e) Other___________________________

If you have been doing the same 5/3/1 for 3 years, that is likely a big part of the problem.

Change up the training protocol and you likely will see growth again.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

At near on 40 I can honestly say my best growth has been between 32 and now. Change up your routine, give Skips or Homon's protocol a try. They both helped me.

Chest has never been better, arms - my one lagging part has improved so much in the last year that it is now something people ask about.
      "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
      Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
      'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
      ~William Bernbach

Comment

Originally posted by loch_ness6 View Post
        For 3 years, I continued to get stronger and improved on all of my lifts; but recently I have noticed a significant drop in strength, stamina, etc.
        Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
        If you have been doing the same 5/3/1 for 3 years, that is likely a big part of the problem.

Change up the training protocol and you likely will see growth again.

Skip
        I had a similar experience. I think 5/3/1 is great, but you definitely get to a point where you'll need to change the exercises. It's advocated that when you stall, you simply wave down and start all over again. Quite frustrating when you do that and months pass and you don't break that plateau.

I'm a creature of habit for training and if I could do the same routine for years on end and never plateau then I would do it. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. I second Skip's notion of changing things up.

Comment

5/3/1 for that long, you need periods of full on strength with periods of hypertrophy work.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbHensel View Post
            5/3/1 for that long, you need periods of full on strength with periods of hypertrophy work.

This. Just even changing the rep schemes (plenty of modified 531 versions floating about the internet) made a huge difference.
            #docswholift
            PGY-1 FM
            "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Ha! I assumed it was obvious; but I somehow failed to even consider a routine change. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
              X