Anyone had an arthroscopy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone had an arthroscopy?

I'm having a diagnostic arthroscopy on my knee in a week to try and find out what in the name of baby Moses is wrong with it. I'm interested to hear anyone's experiences with the pain and recovery after the procedure. Not just knees, either; I'd like to hear from anyone who has had any arthroscopic procedure.
    A little
    50.00%
    A lot
    0.00%
    I hope they accidentally remove your testicles
    50.00%
    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
    kind of a douche

Had it on my right shoulder in 2011. 3 small 1/2" incisions. I was out of the gym 3 months. This is opposed to open surgery on my left that had me out of the gym for a year and left a nice 2" scar. After the 1st week there was little to no pain.
    -KidRok-
    "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
    5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

I had it in addition to more invasive procedures, so I won't comment on the pain/recovery.

My sister had her knee scoped to repair torn meniscus, and judging by her experience, I'd say it's very manageable in terms of pain. My friend's dad had the same thing, and was running again within a week - but I can't imagine that is typical. Another friend recently had shoulder repaired with arthoscopy, and in 3 months was lifting.
      2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
      2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
      2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
      2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
      2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
      2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Scope isn't so bad.

Just as long as you don't have to have the joint itself replace you'll most likely be ok in terms of pain.
        #docswholift
        PGY-1 FM
        "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

What about recovery time? I'm not really concerned about the pain, but I do want to be able to get moving and working again ASAP.
          kind of a douche

Comment

You may need crutches if they do some digging around, but should be able to get back to work in 1-3 days, assuming your job isn't too physical beyond getting here and there.

As for more strenuous activity: My sis said rehabbed 2 months, and then back playing basketball and training.
            2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
            2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
            2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
            2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
            2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
            2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Well, the procedure itself was no big whoop. I've had zero pain, but then again the nerve block is still active. I'll see how it feels tomorrow. Thanks, everyone, for helping to alleviate my anxiety. <3
              kind of a douche

Comment

Have you checked to see that your balls are still attached?...

-S
                The Book Has Arrived!
                The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                  Have you checked to see that your balls are still attached?...

-S
                  I left them at home for the surgery and I haven't been able to find them again since I got back.
                  kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                    I left them at home for the surgery and I haven't been able to find them again since I got back.
                    I thought you physicists were supposed to be good at finding really really really small things in big spaces(?)...

-S
                    The Book Has Arrived!
                    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                      I thought you physicists were supposed to be good at finding really really really small things in big spaces(?)...

-S
                      Indeed, but every time I observe the damn things, they change position and direction.

Regarding the procedure, like I said the day of the procedure was absolutely fine, since the nerve block was active. Starting yesterday (the day after), however, I've been in quite a lot of pain. Even with vicodin, it hurts so much and so constantly I barely slept at all last night. If I can't sleep any tonight, I'm going to call the Dr. tomorrow and see if there are any other options for pain control. :drunk:
                      kind of a douche

Comment

Did they give you the ice sleeve?

J
                        "No man ever won a war by dieing for his county. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."

George Patton

Get your Protein where the real men get theirs, TrueProtein.com

5% off with Dicount code JNR490, and 10% off orders over 10 lbs!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Godsmack View Post
                          Did they give you the ice sleeve?

J
                          Not a sleeve, per se, but a little bag with ties on it. I'm icing the shit out of it, but the pain and immobility don't seem to be improving. :hurt:
                          kind of a douche

Comment

Ex-wife had this (but for the shoulder) after hers. Shit plus pain meds and the recliner helped alot.

http://www.physioroom.com/images/cat...5983_image.jpg

J
                            "No man ever won a war by dieing for his county. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."

George Patton

Get your Protein where the real men get theirs, TrueProtein.com

5% off with Dicount code JNR490, and 10% off orders over 10 lbs!!!

Comment

Damn, that looks nice. I've been going with the giant bag of frozen peas.
                              kind of a douche

Comment

Working...
                              X