Squat Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squat Replacement

Since my second neck surgery I no longer can place a load on my neck/shoulder area. Believe it or not, but that was the only restriction the surgeon gave me. He was very clear not to do anything that would cause excess weight on my neck/shoulder area.

So, no squats, hack squats or front squats. Any suggestions? I've been doing lunges, leg press, leg extension, adbuction & adduction machines. What am I missing?
    Joe

Contest History:
    2017 Muscle Heat - 2nd Place Masters 40+ HWT & 3rd Place LHW
    2017 Gold's Classic - 3rd Place Masters 40+ HWT & 4th Place LHW
    2016 GK Classic - 1st Place MW & 4th Place Masters 40+
    2016 Charlotte Europa - 3rd Place MW & 1st Place Masters 35+
    2015 Mid-Atlantic Classic - 4th Place LHW & 4th Place Masters 40+ HWY
    2014 Muscle Heat Classic - 4th Place LHW & 4th Place Masters 35+ HWY

Pulling okay? Dumbbell squats are a good option and can do them from a deficit for more range of motion.

Sissy squats
    Bulgarian split squats

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
    *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
    •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
    *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Collabera View Post
      Pulling okay? Dumbbell squats are a good option and can do them from a deficit for more range of motion.

Sissy squats
      Bulgarian split squats
      Thanks. I think I need to be careful and smart about the pulling, probably not smart to grab a 100lb db or something like that.
      Joe

Contest History:

Comment

Goblet Squat
        Zercher Squat
        Jefferson Squat
        Bulgarian Split Squat
        Traditional Sissy Squat
        Smith Sissy Hack Squat - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a9KJVHmVig
        DB Step-ups

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
        2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
        2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
        2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
        2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

http://www.liftinglarge.com/Spud-Belt-Squat-Belt

I highly recommend you get the weight pin too.

Homon also has a video somewhere where he rigged a squat belt to accomodate a fully loaded bar.

Otherwise leg pressing, lunges and extensions are also gonna be your friends!
          "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Originally posted by moco View Post
            Goblet Squat
            Zercher Squat
            Jefferson Squat
            Bulgarian Split Squat
            Traditional Sissy Squat
            Smith Sissy Hack Squat - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a9KJVHmVig
            DB Step-ups
            Those smith sissy hacks look so cool!
            Who's that beast in the video
            I'm trying that next leg day. Any concern over the weight bearing and the degree of flexion in the knees?

*2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
            *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

Damn now I gotta try this! Badass man����

Comment

Dumb question, but are machine squats out of the question too? Like supporting the weight on pads the rest on your shoulders instead of the BB on your upper back.
                Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                kind of a douche

Comment

Is a trap bar an option?

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                    Dumb question, but are machine squats out of the question too? Like supporting the weight on pads the rest on your shoulders instead of the BB on your upper back.
                    Unfortunately yes. No load what so ever. He doesn't want anything "pulling" or putting pressure on the two rods I now have from C3 - C6. I'll "play nice" right now since I just had the surgery in January.....a year from now may be a different story.
                    Joe

Contest History:

Comment

Originally posted by picci002 View Post
                      Unfortunately yes. No load what so ever. He doesn't want anything "pulling" or putting pressure on the two rods I now have from C3 - C6. I'll "play nice" right now since I just had the surgery in January.....a year from now may be a different story.
                      The second part of what you said there is what I wanted to say but wasn't sure if you were up to going against the doctors wishes after a long period of time.

I have and know a few people with sponylolethisis. It's where the vertabrae is disconnected from others. Fractured technically. Everyone who got the surgery, which requires fusing two vertabrae together and sometimes rods and others parts, continued training with maximal loads after a period of time.

I don't think the body can function well long term if it doesn't learn to be able to put a load back on the shoulders and have to rely on rods. Eventually it will compensate elsewhere and you will be able to progress SLOWLY back into things. Otherwise what was the point of the surgery if you're crippled from physical activity after repair just as you likely were before?

I'm sure if you found an incredible physical therapist and chiropractor combination you will get the information you need to move forward and lift as the body was intended.

Comment

Originally posted by Collabera View Post
                        The second part of what you said there is what I wanted to say but wasn't sure if you were up to going against the doctors wishes after a long period of time.

I have and know a few people with sponylolethisis. It's where the vertabrae is disconnected from others. Fractured technically. Everyone who got the surgery, which requires fusing two vertabrae together and sometimes rods and others parts, continued training with maximal loads after a period of time.

I don't think the body can function well long term if it doesn't learn to be able to put a load back on the shoulders and have to rely on rods. Eventually it will compensate elsewhere and you will be able to progress SLOWLY back into things. Otherwise what was the point of the surgery if you're crippled from physical activity after repair just as you likely were before?

I'm sure if you found an incredible physical therapist and chiropractor combination you will get the information you need to move forward and lift as the body was intended.
                        Exactly. I've got 3 fused verterbrae from 2009 and now the two rods and a connector plate holding it all together! I'm a mess, but getting stronger each work out ( got 100 lb dumb bells yesterday for 10, 5, & 2 reps on incline presses).
                        Joe

Contest History:

Comment

Hip Squat Belt?

I have to have 20 post to upload an image hence no pic. :/
                          Last edited by Touche'; 06-12-2015, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Hip Belt, Landmine and Goblet are some of my favorite variations
                            "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
                            Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
                            'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
                            ~William Bernbach

Comment

FUCK YOUR DOCTOR, GO FOR NEW PR ONE REP MAX :sammich:

NO PAIN NO GAIN

GO HEAVY OR GO HOME

QAPLA'
                              Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                              kind of a douche

Comment

Working...
                              X